TAOC Discussion

well, all strokes will be fully integrated into the code tonight. I'm very happy so far with them. I will then be working on edges and mishits and also adding animation for 'taking guard' and putting in code for allowing the batsman to choose his mark at the beginning of his innings. There are also some animations that are slightly modified for when you face a spinner or a pace bowler, which will occur automatically based on what kind of bowler you are facing...e.g. a cut shot for a pace bowler will be a little bit of a higher swing than than a cut shot to a spinner that doesn't bounce as high. Also there is a move to 'pad up' to a spinner by sticking out your front pad. All in all there would be close to 40 different shots/moves....this allows for a massive variety of shot placement.

After this is all done (moving into the new year) i'll be tackling off-strike batsman, batsmen running between wickets , bowler models / animations / Bowling HUD GUI, wicket keeper / Fielding AI / animations / pathfinding, umpires - decisions, animations, models etc. Once all that is done we are cooking with gas.

@KoolKarts - i can't listen at work, but i will ahav a sus when i get home ;) sounds interesting lol...

I am particularly interested to hear your samples of bat hitting ball etc, - any chance you can make me a recording where there is no other noise in the background? i.e. just the sound itself? It would be great to get all different sounds such as ball hitting meat of the bat, edge of the bat, ball hitting wickets (different velocities), ball hitting helmet etc....?

To everyone else, i apologise if i can't reply in a timely fashion, i'm pretty flat out as you can imagine and there are millions of people to reply to...i'll try to get back to each person, but please bear with me...also to all that have PM'd me, i've got a massive backlog each day so again please bear with me.

cheers,

LM

@LM The sound of the bat hitting the ball is the only sound recorded I think. I made sure that nothing else got recorded by reducing the distortion and keeping the microphone still by placing it on a clamp. Anyways, I will be recording sum more sounds and commentary. I'd like a list though of what to say and what you and Duff would like me to do.

L.M. one more thing i like to see is. umpire making wrong decisions.

Could you include an 'accelerate' button, especially for ODIs, so that Batsmen can quickly accelerate on a run? This can be countered, by the fact that repetitive use may make the batsman tired, and then he would require a runner-which reminds me, will you include the decision to include adding runners?

Also, I would like to see umpires are giving warning to the bowlers for running on the pitch. That'll be nice to see in the game.

ok, first things first...batting strokes are all done. I still have to incorporate stats, edges and mishits, but at the moment the player can bash the ball around to any part of the field, realistically and with ultimate variety. The movement really is great! You can even advance down the pitch and bash a full toss for 4 or 6 ;) ...The strokes are as follows (i think this is all - dont have the actual list available):

Front Foot

block (off side); block (straight), block (on side), block (square - off side), block (square - on side), drive(off/cover); drive(straight), drive(on), drive(square), FF leg glance, low duck, lean back to avoid, sweep, reverse sweep, raise bat, pad up (to spinner)

Back Foot

block (off side); block (straight), block (on side), block (square - off side), block (square - on side), drive(off); drive(straight), drive(on), drive(square), BF leg glance, low duck, lean back to avoid ball/dodge, cut shot / low cut shot for spin, late cut, pull shot

Lofted

lofted drive(off side); lofted drive(straight), lofted drive(on side), slog sweep, lofted cut, lofted late cut, hook shot

@Langerrox - um, i'm trying to avoid MSN for a while or i wont get anything done ;) but i will be on soon....

@KoolKarts - i had a listen to your stuff - pretty cool...obviously i will have a script for you when the time comes, but lookin good..i think it's safe to say you're in there with Duff ;)

Commentary wont be started on for quite some time, just so you are aware, so pls do not expect any movement on that front for at least 4 months or so...

@srk121 - umpires will make erratic calls...definately, but the percentage of bad calls to good calls will be more realistic than some games (not mentioning any names ;) )

@Prarara - excellent idea - i will add this - please can you add it to the correct thread - the wishlist / suggestion thread so it doesn't get lost ;). Also, runners will be included as well (at least i hope to), as injuries will be implemented

@Dhoni - yeah, that's a good idea too...pls add to the correct thread - wishlist / suggestions - thanx

** I am going to upload some videos to Skateboarder later tonight so expect some very soon. These videos will show a dramatic improvement since last time ( there have been many many improvements since the last video release)

Regards,

LM

Can't wait for the new video, seeing as you have all of these new shots to show off.

legend_master said:
ok, first things first...batting strokes are all done. I still have to incorporate stats, edges and mishits, but at the moment the player can bash the ball around to any part of the field, realistically and with ultimate variety. The movement really is great! You can even advance down the pitch and bash a full toss for 4 or 6 ;) ...The strokes are as follows (i think this is all - dont have the actual list available):

Front Foot

block (off side); block (straight), block (on side), block (square - off side), block (square - on side), drive(off/cover); drive(straight), drive(on), drive(square), FF leg glance, low duck, lean back to avoid, sweep, reverse sweep, raise bat, pad up (to spinner)

Back Foot

block (off side); block (straight), block (on side), block (square - off side), block (square - on side), drive(off); drive(straight), drive(on), drive(square), BF leg glance, low duck, lean back to avoid ball/dodge, cut shot / low cut shot for spin, late cut, pull shot

Lofted

lofted drive(off side); lofted drive(straight), lofted drive(on side), slog sweep, lofted cut, lofted late cut, hook shot

LM

Sounds a bit too good to be true.

It does doesnt it? I think already this game would play better than EA, even in its current form lol

video killed the radio star

New videos have been sent to Skateboarder for uploading....he will announce on here when they are ready. This is the first batch showing off a selection of strokes....the second batch will be released shortly with more strokes not seen here...due to the file sizes i thought i'd split them up...again, remember videos are compressed so quality is much less than the original, though this time i managed to work out how to get the speed at 60fps for the video playback, so enjoy at normal speed rather than slo mo like the other vids. Oh yeah, remember there is still heaps that needs to be added...these shots at the moment are raw shots, not affected by stats or weather or any other factors...also they are rigged so i can hit them well each time...obviously edges and mishits etc. are not factored in yet.

* These are all bowled from the (as yet invisible) spin bowler
** for those that weren't aware, the little white boxes on the ground are just markers i place where the ball ends up so i could judge the variety of where shots go.

@jdbais - what do you mean "sounds a bit too good to be true"? Sounds like you are in doubt - if you were referring to the stroke list, then i can assure you it is 100% correct. All of these strokes/moves have been completed and implemented - that is what i have been working on tirelessly for the last several weeks! ;) You'll have to check out the videos....

LM

Last edited:
jdbais said:
Sounds a bit too good to be true.

**Don't get affected by these negative comments L.M. (this is the only one that I'v seen).

**Keep up your great work and please let me know if I can be of any help to you.

**You are a real LEGEND and you will be. :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

As a break away from legend_master's great updates about the game itself, I thought I would give you an update from the website, http://www.thecricketproject.com/.

I did indeed get those videos, and put them all together so you won't have to download loads of files, just download one and sit back to watch them! It's now up for download here: http://www.thecricketproject.com/index.php?name=Downloads&req=getit&lid=6.

I noticed that the first two videos were very popular, but they didn't seem to work any more. I fixed those up so you can download them again now. Don't forget about the new poll either on the homepage. JK and I are undecided whether or not we should borrow commentary from BLIC or let the members make their own commentary, or have an option for both- you give your opinions!

And as I have a very busy year coming up in 2006, I seriously thought I would have to give up my running of this website. It's all sorted out, I'm staying on!

Thanks. Any questions about the site (not the game, that's for Paul) then PM me.

omg...:D : D the freakin video looks absolutely amazing...the shot selections looks pretty neat. I really liked the reverse sweep.

WOW! I'm really amazed how good this project is going.

This game will beat BLIC and EA Cric hands down. This is gonna be next big cricket game.....and I seriously cant wait for the release.

legend_master u r genius and thanks for all ur efforts that you have put into this game so far.....

:D :D :D

Great job L.M. have to say those shots selection looks al good mate. i like the way meter works. L.M. verygood job

Users who are viewing this thread