TAOC Discussion

jdbais said:
I didn't mean it as a negative comment. I just can't believe one person can do what EA and Codemasters have been trying to do for a long time.

But yes, I am excited about this game and can't wait for it to be released.
That's more like it.
Encourage the man who is working tirelessly day and night not for his amusement but for others. :upray :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

sparky said:
Absolutely awesome Legend; I always hoped someone would get ****ed off enough with the rubbish dished up by the majors to have a go at their own project. I can't believe how good this is looking or how on earth HB/BLIC/EA haven't been able to to get anywhere near this level with their resources. Well played old chap!

A few comments on the latest vid - or specifically the shots - I love the foot movement (the leg glance behind square when the batsman steps across his stumps particularly caught my eye - what a looker!).

1. The camera tracks the ball as soon as it leaves the bat. This makes it difficult to fully appreciate the shot and the movement of the batsman. I think the game would be enhanced if there was a split second where the the camera stayed on the batsman before it tracks the ball, if this is possible. For example, the last shot - the sweep which the batsman appears to miss and the ball goes past the stumps - looked the most realistic, probably cos I could see it and appreciate it in all its glory!

2. The batsman appears to be a bit hurried - some of the shots seem to be played a bit too quickly and with minimal backlift. This could just be a result of my aged eyes and the ball tracking (as above) tho! Perhaps the batsman could bring the bat back a bit earlier and then hold it for a split second before playing the shot - that seems to be more like the style of a majority of test cricketers?

I can't help you out with the programming side of things, but if you want any testing done, or particularly trawling through tons of stats on cricinfo, I'd be happy to help you out.
Hey,excellent feedback by you. reps for you. :clap :clap I have to say, you have a good cricketing brain.Please visit frequently on this site,as your feedbacks can be useful for 'CRICKET PROJECT' development. :cheers

indeed, that's more like it ;) some great comments here.

Happy to report I have fixed the following things - because i agreed with what some people suggested - that's why feedback is so important! :happy

- Boundary/field size now increased - much much better - can't believe i never noticed that :eek: - thanks Dhoni!

- spin bowling 'loop' trajectory decreased to be more realistic - yeah, this one was always in the back of my mind - now fixed

- camera tracking - still working on it - but i know exactly what you mean

- In the process of tweaking animations to be better and looking into Sparky's suggestion of backlift - i agree this needs to be fixed...

* if anyone does want a high quality vid, PM me and we can maybe sort something out...it would be at least 30MB or so...also couldn't promise when i could get it to you...Skateboarder, maybe we could chuck a higher quality vid on the site?? Let me know if it's feasible.

ok, back to work now...gotta fix the cameras...

PS haven't forgotten about the second batch of vids...coming soon. This will show more shots (including pull/hook,back foot blocks/drives, late cut, other isc moves...also will show moving back and advancing down the wicket - oh, and hitting a full toss!)

LM

Thanks Doctor - see, I'm back already!

I usually pop by daily - at least when I'm at work ;-)

I forgot to add that the delivery speed seems fine to me, although I agree with the original comments about the loop of the spin deliveries. In fact, I wanted to add further praise in this respect because that's another of my pet hates from EA's efforts - the bowling is unrealistically slooooowww.

Will be happy to throw in more thoughts as and when. After all, isn't that what this whole project is about....

Looking forward to the AI side of things in particular - which really is the make or break of a cricket game. Lots of ideas on that, particularly how the CPU responds to different situations in games, especially test matches....

Anyways, back to work for now...

Online multiplayer won't be The Cricket Project's most worked on feature. Gameplay will be.

I could fit in a HQ video if you send me one.

Last edited:
LM, I saw the new video. From the looks of it, the bowling speed/reaction time of the batter is spot on. Good job, and thanks for sharing your dream with us.

wow Amazing Video. I liked the square cut best, the way the batsmen bent his knees to get into the position is mind blowing. Please give first preference to gameplay and reality. You are doing a great job.

Hey LM like a said a few pages back I can do any type of commentating exept indian

Marvellous video! It was really awesome! Gr8 job LM!

I personally loved that leg glance that the batsman played coming a few inches forward! And also the lofted cover drive with the batsman staying put in his crease! Very good!

legend_master said:
- Boundary/field size now increased - much much better - can't believe i never noticed that :eek: - thanks Dhoni!
No problem LM! It happens man. :cheers Can't wait for the upcoming video.
Keep it up!!! :cheers

Just viewed the latest video, really is shaping up already mate. Excellent work it has to be said. Three things that really caught my eye were the square cut, the reverse sweep and the shot where batsmen walks across his stumps and flicks it behind square. WOW. With the resources that the likes of EA and HB have how can one guy manage to produce a game that looks like it's shaping up to be better than anything that has been produced? Maybe someone should email the companies and tell them about this game, give them a kick up the backside to get things sorted out. And get LM on board to give them some help!!!!! Excellent work mate, keep it up! :D

Animation after playing shots are really important otherwise it would look all bad. like codies did , they did not had any animation of batsman after playing a shot. cheers L.M.

And dont forget to put inner circle ring of the field.

Last edited:
wow, thanx guys for all the great comments :)

Yeah, i'm very proud of the movement...i spent a fair bit of time on that...what looks even better tho is when you step back and do a back foot block ;) this will be on the next video batch...oh yeah, and when you pad up to a spinner..very cool i must say IMHO ;)

@Propmanoz - inner circle is deliberately hidden cos it's a test match field ;) but it is done...dont be fooled by the ODI kit lol...

@Sami - yeah, square cut, pull shot and sweep are my personal favs ;)...oh, hook looks sweet too..

* update - cameras - i'm thinking to have a different option for camera tracking...e.g. can choose the type of tracking in the video (i.e. ball cam) or can choose more 'bird's eye' tracking...which you will see in the next vid batch.

AI is going to receive a lot of attention - dont worry, if anyone knows how important AI is, it's me...

LM

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!!

For the batting, will you include a camera behind the batter?

Users who are viewing this thread