TAOC Discussion

prarara said:
1. PC
2. Free!
3. Whenever it's ready

OOOO OK bit dissapointed that it is on pc is there any chance of being on the PS2 ??

THanks for answering my questions :D

This project is coming out great!

I have been following this thread lately, and by the way things are turning out, it seems like pretty good progress in a very short period of time. Good work.

A few days back, I was playing EA Sports MVP BaseBall 2004 Demo. It was an awesome game. Exactly how a sport game should be designed. Every single aspect of the game (the gameplay, I mean) is amazingly well done. The ambience is excellent, and you want to play there for ever. It would be great if we could build this game matching the sheer joy of playing that game. I mean, the collisions, the movements, the enthusiastic commentary, the amazing crowd response (one woman from the crowd even called out the batter's name - Derek Jeter - once), the ambience in sound, sharp graphics. I guess once the gameplay (bat+bowl+field) of our cricket project is done, equal work should be done on building a VAST VAST commentary files and sounds (point sounds from infield like bat-touching-ball to ambient sounds). They are as big a part of the game as the gameplay itself. It IS tough but I guess it would be worth the effort in the end. Still its a far way off and I hope, Paul, that you do everything in a methodical manner and concentrate on one thing at a time.

If you want any help as far as the site is concerned, you can contact me. I can offer upto 5GB of space and 50GB of bandwidth per month for your project from my quota. I am a webmaster myself.

Have a good one!
Stan.

P.S.: If you would like to take a look at the baseball game I was talking about earlier, you can download the demo from: http://www.download.com/MVP-Baseball-2004-demo/3000-7439_4-10279472.html
Its about 240 MB in size, but it is definitely worth it. A LOT of useful stuff can be learnt from that game! I am 100% confident about this.

Stan said:
If you want any help as far as the site is concerned, you can contact me. I can offer upto 5GB of space and 50GB of bandwidth per month for your project from my quota. I am a webmaster myself.
Thanks, but the website is already online and doing fine. I'm the webmaster and the space and domain is fine.

^ 2. Not necessarily, i believe he said earlier on that with a project of this size, he may wish to put a small charge upon it, to pay for labour and web hosting costs.

SkateBoarder said:
Thanks, but the website is already online and doing fine. I'm the webmaster and the space and domain is fine.

No problem. But if there is any additional need for space or bandwidth, you can always approach me. Or if you need a mirror site. I would be more than glad to help.

cc2003btw said:
^ 2. Not necessarily, i believe he said earlier on that with a project of this size, he may wish to put a small charge upon it, to pay for labour and web hosting costs.

Charge for a community project? I don't understand how that is legally possible... Maybe as distribution cost?

I believe that this game would be on freeware because of the rights. If this project wants money out of it then it has to buy the rights for the kits, bats etc. But still i would pay what ever he wants coz this game is looking great ;)

I think a possibility that could be considered regarding the game is a donation-type thing through paypal or a similar site. If the player appreciates the game, he is free to donate, but is not required to do so. But, this is just an idea.

Last edited:
Well,I reckon noone would care whether its free or not because of the quality of the game.Its going to be a cracker. :cheers :cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
cc2003btw said:

Oh I did not know of this.

pal said:
I think a possibility that could be considered regarding the game is a donation-type thing through paypal or a similar site. If the player appreciates the game, he is free to donate, but is not required to do so. But, this is just an idea.

I would quite happily donate money in order to get it, providing it turns out as good as it should!:P

I can definitely donate some money on this game as its highly promising!

Why cant we have the donation ASAP? So that the money can used in the development of the game? Or will it be illegal for the maker to get profits (donation!) from this project without obtaining the rights for the materials involved?

Important - Pls Read

Hi guys,

no shortage of activity here.... ;)

well, i've got a few things to cover.... there are some issues that really need to be addressed, that i have been perhaps overlooking or delaying for a while.

First, let me say the responses to this project have been overwhelming- i want to thank you all for your amazing support - it really has been this encouragement that has seen me thru some tough times ;). I have no doubts about the demand for this project to be completed. I know i can and will complete this, that is not an issue...the problem i have is these 2 issues - renumeration and licensing/legality. Licensing is going to be impossible, so releasing a 'real data' version and charging for it is out of the question, and i am pretty sure (can anyone confirm?) that even releasing a free version with 'real data' is also a breach of copyright...i need to do some research on this and find out exactly what the possibilities are. If anyone has access to information about, or knowledge of these kind of legal issues, please PM me...worst case of all, i suppose it could be released with fake data then modded ala BLIC....

Renumeration is a tough one...should it be freeware, shareware, donationware or???? To be honest i dont know....i'm certainly not in it for the money, but it would be great if i were able to work full-time on improving and adding to the game, i.e. ditch my day job. That way I would be able to get sooo much more done and much quicker...But I wouldn't expect anyone to cough up any donation or payment or anything at least till they've played the demo...even if i did end up charging for this game, it would be a very small sum, mainly just to 'compensate' me for my time and resources...

anyhoo, i still think it's a bit too early to be discussing any form of payment or distribution...but as the game progresses towards completion i am going to have to give some serious thought to this stuff...

cheers,

LM

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread