TAOC Discussion

Progress has been made since this morning! We now see adboards in the game.
Click here to download the latest teaser video. Download it to your computer and open it with Windows Media Player.

What codec is it using. Doesn't seem to play well in PC. Although could be a problem in PC as well.

hey srinath. you used my cover as the background

Last edited:
progress

ok,

updates from overnight and to answer all those questions...

i) had a very productive weekend - accomplished quite a bit.. fixed up the straight drive, added adboards and added ball camera tracking when a stroke is hit...all of these can be evidenced in the beginning squence of the latest video that Skateboarder uploaded - yes, it does work ;-) ...media player will throw some message about the file extension - just play it anyway . Just a note on the video and the adboards - the adboards here are low-res and i just quickly added as a proof of concept...Once the high-res ones are in it is going to look fantastic - it's good cos i can see the stadium starting to take shape...still tons of work to go tho. Also, remember video quality is poor and frame rate is halved to reduce file size - the original video captures were up to 80MB and are reduced to under 3MB so there's quite a high compression rate...also for some reason the colours got slightly altered during the captures so the greens look a bit too greeny - in the real game they look more faded and realistic...though i doubt that current turf will end up in the final version - I plan to make much better turfs - ditto with the pitch area. Also the video appears like in slow motion - in the real game it's very smooth and a realistic speed.... .

ii) Cell shading - um, nice suggestion but no it wont be cell-shaded. Cell-shading is used to create a 'cartoon' like effect, giving everything an obvious (black) outline - this is not the effect I want to achieve, so sorry to say there will be no cell-shading - i feel it greatly reduces any realism of the scene

iii) Stadiums and content - yes, i want to have the 'main' stadiums from each test playing nation at least - but this can and will be expanded in future updates and add-ons e.g. Australia would have SCG,MCG,Adelaide Oval,GABBA,WACA,Bellerive Oval.

iv) @KOOLKARTS - go ahead, mate - make a logo and submit it!

v) to answer all those questions about download or CD's or distribution or whatever: this has not yet been decided - it will not be decided on until much further down the track. I will keep you posted tho as soon as there are any developements in this area.

vi) regarding people who just want to help out in some way - this is much appreciated, but please be aware at this stage i am only looking for 3d modellers - a few months from now though i am going to need volunteers for things such as stats, player info. etc. - I will also be looking for a volunteer 'expert' from each nation to be the voice for their team - what i mean by this is i want someone from each country who knows EVERYTHING about their team so can UNBIASEDLY vito decisions on player stats, appearance, stadium stats and appearance etc. - but please dont put your hands up just yet, because i am not ready at this stage - more likely will be a few months from now.

vii) I understand that some people are concerned about submitting work or helping out and not being rewarded for their work, while i could potentially make heaps of money IF the game was going to be sold...let me clarify this....My intention from this is not to make a ton of money - IF the game ends up being sold, whoever submitted work would be credited and rewarded in some way. But it is seriously way too early to even discuss this stuff - i just want to focus on the game development. So, if you are hesitant about helping out because of this, my suggestion would be please DONT, as I would hate to cause any grief or disappointment further down the track. The effect of having more help means the dev time is shorter, which is good for all, but the game will still be completed regardless, will just take longer.

overall i am very happy with the development to this stage. It has really come along in leaps and bounds over the last month alone. This month should hopefully see batting completed, next month will be refining bowling so that all bowling and batting is done and interacts perfectly, including edges and umpire decisions/AI etc. Then it is on to wicket keeper and fielding - AI, animations, models etc. Still a hard slog to go but progress is definately steaming ahead...

regards,

LM

Last edited:
hey holmie. Doesnt matter does it??????

And LM, thats great of you to learn it all by urself. I too am planing to learn it. Well, could I ask you any doubts that prop up.....???

What about the rights guys??? Exclusive rights from ICC, Realistic Player names (No one wants some crap as in BLIC 2005), Realistic kits, logos, stadia, Blah blah blah...

And also about the commentary???

Last edited:
Gday everyone.
Here is an example of me commentating at a cricket match for Cricket Project. People may find it amusing in some parts. :)
Have a listen to the entire unscripted soundclip whilst you are browsing PlanetCricket or enjoying you cup of tea. It is unedited, so all my mistakes are left in. :)

Link: http://www.lastx.net/proj_com.mp3
(to stream, click on link
to download, right click > save target as)

Thanx, LM

I would love to do anything in Photoshop as I know it. So let me know....

and also the commentary.. I would also like to involve myself in that...

Gr8 work, duff on the commentary

Last edited:
Obviously a noob at commentary :laugh Although I wouldn't do any better myself :(
Nah honestly good effort, better than what EA got.

I'd be happy to give you stats, etc. On Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. Not a great expert, but I do know a fair bit more than most here :p

Apart from Andrew Nixon that is :mad:

BTW Duff, your commentary put me to sleep in the first 10 seconds ;). I reckon EA's is better ;)
Heard it the whole way through now :) LOL!
"Hayden, 1 not out
Husey, dead
Ponting, 0 not out"

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
Hi Legend Master I must say I love the stuff so far. Can you please insert South African domestic teams in the game I can help you with that just ask me please.

what about pakistan dometics ..... and real faces .... skysports ..... Kevin Peitersns hair styple { others too } ........ Create Players .... Real logos ..... Real kits, stumps ,adboards,pitchmats etc ....... more stumping .. real umpires .... and last but not least SHOAIB AKTHER :D ......

We hope these will be included but its at a very early stage atm.

Lee

update: have fixed a little glitch in the ball motion when hitting the ground after being bowled and also improved the turf (it was really annoying me ;) )...also made stadium a tiny bit bigger...ball now detects collision with boundary and can differentiate between 4 and 6

I am also pleased to announce the official website for The Cricket Project is now live!!! - many thanks to Skateboarder (site admin) for his hard work and persistence...it is still very barren, but i will be looking to add new content over the coming days/weeks...the url is http://www.thecricketproject.com

There is also a new sub-forum created here at PC dedicated to the project - aptly called "The Cricket Project Forum", located under the Cricket Game Development section.

a couple of other things - Duff, i thought your commentary was pretty cool - maybe could have used a bit more excitement but not too bad for an improvised effort ;)

- i also want to re-emphasize the key goals of this project in light of many people asking about real faces and stadiums etc. : Whilst i DO plan to have all of that stuff, i just want to remind people that the most important thing in any game is gameplay and immersion...you can have all the pretty graphics and licensing you want but if gameplay sux, the game sux. If you are only after licensing and graphics, please go and play EA's latest title ;)

cheers,

LM :cheers

Users who are viewing this thread