Terrible game. Full of bugs. Who else agrees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I was saying. Sure the OP invited the white knights with the way he wrote but half of these people saying the game is perfect .

Are there actually people saying its perfect? Sure there are issues in the game.
Being a "white knight" doesn't mean you have your head in the sand. I think there is a difference between calling out a tosser who disregards the appropriate format and thread for airing their grievances and instead starts a new thread with no other intent than to inflame and incite, and being in denial about the state of the game.
For all the games faults, the good far out weighs the bad.
Anyway this thread has got out of hand and that d******d has achieved what he set out to.

though i hate to dignify this thread with my presence, i'd say there are some terrible things in the game, but the OP is not doing himself any favours by a)focusing on elements for which a fix is already on the way and b)ignoring the many positives.

and that's the first thing to say, there are some wonderful things in the game, big and small touches, and on balance it's a very good game that could be great, even in this iteration if the patches come and provide the right fixes. the biggest concern for me is that 2 of the worst faults relate to AI, which i imagine is hard to patch.

overall, the game is very good, the control systems are wonderful - 90% of the time i get out i can pin down exactly what i did wrong (if only i could stop myself repeating it next time!) and bowling feels natural. you can pick it up reasonably quickly, but it feels it will take a while to master.

as i said above there are some terrible things in the game, which I am aware is a big statement, so here it is:

1)the batting AI, as has been covered elsewhere, is very poor at seemingly all levels, gifting wickets and particularly bowled/LBW.
2)the fielding AI is hands down the worst thing in the game. the fields set look like nothing i've ever seen on a cricket field, and it's baffling that developers who clearly know and care about cricket could let something like this slip through the net. the problems people have mentioned about over-powered fielding etc. is created by the fields set, because gaps are tiny to non-existent. instead of the 40 or so pre-set fields in cricket academy per bowling type, big ant should have less, but make them realistic. this is the one area where bradman is miles behind other cricket games, which at least knew what a field for the first over of a test looks like.

thankfully the other issues aren't gameplay related, but they're still very poor and detract from the game:
3)loading times in screens and before games are far too long
4)not being able to select a single team to take through a competition is full-on ridiculous, something i've never seen before in any game and it's baffling to understand how this could have got through the design stage. in combination with point 3 above, it basically kills competition mode and that's a whole area of cricket academy made essentially worthless.

so this is by no means a terrible game, it's an excellent game in which the positives far outweigh the negatives. but it does have some terrible elements.

I have to concur with blockerdave's post above. I can recall the Cricket 2002 game and otters past it I presume where AI fields were structured. Although predictable they were largely realistic and were based on your individual score in a test match

0-20 odd runs the AI had an aggressive field
25-75 runs the AI had an umbrella type field
75-90 the AI had a defensive field with many out deep
90-100 the AI reverted back to an umbrella type field. Very nice touch which mirrors real life
100+ the AI reverts back to the defensive field

I would like to see something sinilar brought in to DBC14 if it is possible to patch.

Can someone please explain this "cannot take only one team through competition mode" thing?

Till date all cricket games have had 3 inportant problems
1.Bowling and batting control system aided by the doughnut
2.physics
3.AI(AI reacting to match situation)

From the various reviews opinions and vids presented Bigant seems to have cleared the first 2 problems wonderfully.

AI seems to be the problem, The prob doesnt seem worse than previous games were there were exploits to wrap things up, im glad to know thats not the case.
which is +1
i think they will do their best to fix it and in the situation they cant next iteration sounds good.

I would like to have an AI which has situational awareness, knowing when to attack and when to defend.
This could be done by having something like WASP implemented in game.
So that if the AI is batting first it can keep striving towards that score and good thing about wasp is it changes when wicket falls or doesnt fall etc.
SO the AI could keep trying to achieve that target. Also while chasing this will help them to better pace the innings.
depending on the WASP and the format the AI should breakdown the target with its wickets in hand(type of batsman etc) and chase or set target accordingly, revising it when situation changes.This will give goals for the AI for what it needs to achieve in small parts.

Also a sanity meter for players, people with high points should play better according to situation, for ex someone like MSD will take time to settle before hitting were as some one like yusuf pathan will just keep hitting regardless of situation and get out.

what is asked is too much for the first iteration, if they can actually get an AI with situation awareness this time around cool, if not next iteration sounds good:yes.
with a bit more balancing in patches this time around.

*esp before pc version releases

Last edited:
I have to concur with blockerdave's post above. I can recall the Cricket 2002 game and otters past it I presume where AI fields were structured. Although predictable they were largely realistic and were based on your individual score in a test match

0-20 odd runs the AI had an aggressive field
25-75 runs the AI had an umbrella type field
75-90 the AI had a defensive field with many out deep
90-100 the AI reverted back to an umbrella type field. Very nice touch which mirrors real life
100+ the AI reverts back to the defensive field

I would like to see something sinilar brought in to DBC14 if it is possible to patch.

Agreed. Just started batting in a test match eng vs aus. Australias opening bowlers have no slips. Pretty basic stuff been missed here.

I was watching one of Twistie's videos and in career mode he needed 38 off three overs and scored the winning runs on the last ball. I think it really highlighted what is right and wrong with this game at the moment.

Right: The game was very exciting, creating nervous moments rarely seen in previous games, and being a career mode tail ender having to come in and win the game is unique.

Wrong: The AI is poor. There were 2 slips and 2 gullies, despite the batsmen smacking fours through huge gaps in front of the wicket. No reaction to this.

Can someone please explain this "cannot take only one team through competition mode" thing?

Of course you can, but you have to manage all the other games in the tournament, by simulating them or playing them. I actually quite like it.
Gives you freedom to pick and choose any games you might want to play. I might want to take 3 teams thru a World Cup. And I can easily do so. Just as I can play ONLY Australia's games if I want.

So these are my reasons for coming to the conclusion that this is a over hyped piece of junk. The only positive thing for me is the stats. I mean you would have done well to f&@% them up. I like looking at my average and strike rate over the season. I commend that. 3-1

So I will be putting my copy on eBay to try and regain some of my loss. I'll leave you with one last comment from that dull commentator as I mistakenly put Eoin Morgan into bowl my last online over. " the batsman will have to beware this bowler has terrific pace and can really hurt you"

The game sucks and everyone knows I'm right.
WRONG !

Yeah best thing you can do is sell it, what a poor response to a great game which will be greater once things are patched.

Last edited:

You can't just e.g. Play as england in the T20 world cup, you have to play as one of the two teams in every match in the tournament, or go into the game and simulate every game except the ones of the team you want to be.

----------

Of course you can, but you have to manage all the other games in the tournament, by simulating them or playing them. I actually quite like it.
Gives you freedom to pick and choose any games you might want to play. I might want to take 3 teams thru a World Cup. And I can easily do so. Just as I can play ONLY Australia's games if I want.

Sorry, but this post is nonsense. The load times in going into games and simulating make playing as one team in a competition a no go. Every sports game i have seen with a competition mode has had a screen where you can choose one or more teams in the competiton as player controlled. Just making an assumption the player will go through every game or have to simulate is poor design.

It doesn't give you any freedom whatsoever, it forces you into every game.

Odd considering Rugby League Live 2 gave you the option to select a single team

Odd considering Rugby League Live 2 gave you the option to select a single team

Has any sports game ever taken this approach? I'm not aware of one thoughh not a huge gamer.

Typically you pick the teams in the competition, and can then choose one or more teams to be player teams. Whether oversight or design or what honestly this is terrible, and a mode killer.

hIrpLpS.jpg

All without going through loading screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread