Your Cricket The Art of Legspin

Its actually very possibly, I know quite a few people that spin it in indoor. I've spun a few good balls and my half tracker spins as does my wide one that is inside the pitch before it spins out of it.

Its actually very possibly, I know quite a few people that spin it in indoor. I've spun a few good balls and my half tracker spins as does my wide one that is inside the pitch before it spins out of it.

But it's not like you are going to get them out with quality leg spin or anything. There are no LBW's and only leading edges can be caught.

I got somebody out once because they advanced on me and the drift made the ball go down leg side and he was stumped. But that was the only wicket I ever got in Indoor cricket.

I got 2 stumpings in one match and another stumping the next. The guys that can actually spin it have quite a few bowled so its not all doom and gloom for spinners.

Got some practice last Tuesday after a while, on a real pitch not my backyard, against real life batsmen, not walls. it was ok. It was lil better than just OK, but i wont judge myself on this. i am waiting for the next practice on Monday. I hope it doesnt rain. Should be good. Getting ready for the season.

My top spinner that lands on the good length is becoming a pain, once again I beat the batsmen and the ball goes over the stumps. 3 times I've had that happen to me, I want to get a bowled! Tried playing with my grip and started getting a bit of turn and was also getting drift or maybe it was swing as it looked like the ball was outswinging before landing and then continuing on. Might have to flip the ball around when that happens to get the drift Warne gets and then get it turning.

Wrongun was coming out well, had it turning quite a bit but the length was too short so the batter picked it.

Starting to lose hang of my stock Leggy. Mac', what did you do in order to retain the stock delivery. The Wrong'un really is starting to take over now. It's like me default delivery now.

Never really thought this would actually happen!

My top spinner that lands on the good length is becoming a pain, once again I beat the batsmen and the ball goes over the stumps. 3 times I've had that happen to me, I want to get a bowled! Tried playing with my grip and started getting a bit of turn and was also getting drift or maybe it was swing as it looked like the ball was outswinging before landing and then continuing on. Might have to flip the ball around when that happens to get the drift Warne gets and then get it turning.

Wrongun was coming out well, had it turning quite a bit but the length was too short so the batter picked it.

lol dude! Thats a good thing. The higher it bounces the better it is. This ball isnt to get batsman out bowled. Mostly to get edges or making them play wrong shots. Lets say he is coming down the wicket, and you ball the top spinner, and if he still goes on with the same shot, he will pop it in the air. But you can get them bowled, depending on the pitch, or how the bounce is. I bet you already knew that

Starting to lose hang of my stock Leggy. Mac', what did you do in order to retain the stock delivery. The Wrong'un really is starting to take over now. It's like me default delivery now.

Never really thought this would actually happen!

Ha, i guess it happened to you too. Going by this thread, it happened to quite a lot of us. Really shouldnt have watched those youtube videos. Like i mentioned it before, when it happened to me, i thought about making my wrong'un my stock ball, and throwing in the leggy once in a while. :laugh I havent got all of it back yet. Lost a lot of spin. I was bowling short and wrong'uns even though i wasnt trying to.

It happens because your wrist is at wrong'un position, and you arnt even aware of it. For now, just forget about landing the ball, and line and length and all that. Just bowl, and try to figure out and feel where your wrist is (well you cant see it, so you have to estimate), then adjust it. Bowl with out run up, just the follow through. keep bowling it. DO NOT try the other variation.

Because i was so frustrated, i stopped bowling it. I just stayed in my room, and did my stunts, did my follow through with out actually letting the ball go. Used the mirror too. Thats all i can tell you. Because i was pretty confused myself. I didnt know what the heck to do. i am still learning myself so.. All I can say is, just keep trying it, even though its gonna drive you nuts, every time it comes in rather than going the other way.

Oh and also, try bowling on shorter pitch for now. But this will hurt your L&L. When i practiced on my backyard, i measured the pitch way too long, took me a while to figure out why was i bowling so full in the real nets :p

I lost my leggy as well but I got it back recently. But I think it had to do with the ball I was bowling with, was a little bit heavier and skidded a lot more.

As far as I can tell, wrong'un syndrome has to do with not so much your wrist, but just generally where your hand is at release. If you're tending to release the ball with your fingers pointing up, you'll tend to get wrong'uns.

What I mean is that all the other parts of your body have their own relative angles that mean even if the wrist is in the right position relative to your arm, it's out of alignment from a global perspective. There are two pieces of advice from Warne which I think are actually a little bit profound in this regard.

The first is to relax. Straining and trying to bowl faster can obviously mess up your action. It's one reason why you might sometimes think your action is fine, but then it stops working for you; you may have changed it without even realising. Also, locking your arm up is not really conducive to bowling leg breaks. It's not meant to be a straight up-and-over action, it's a fluid movement that prefers the joints to be able to flow with each other. It's the combination that helps to spin the ball with minimal perceived effort.

The other is to "think tall". This is just such great biomechanical programming. It would be hard to tell you to put your limbs in all the right spots, but if you just think about trying to release the ball while reaching up tall, you'll probably succeed in getting the idea. The deeper truth of this is that while a good stable upright position helps to keep your head still and the ball in a nice point of release, it also helps to bring your wrist over the ball. If you dip your front shoulder too much, you'll start to release the ball over the fingertips no matter what you try to do with your wrist.

lol dude! Thats a good thing. The higher it bounces the better it is. This ball isnt to get batsman out bowled. Mostly to get edges or making them play wrong shots. Lets say he is coming down the wicket, and you ball the top spinner, and if he still goes on with the same shot, he will pop it in the air. But you can get them bowled, depending on the pitch, or how the bounce is. I bet you already knew that

Well they aren't edging it, they are just playing and missing! Just more me wanting to get a bowled. The guy was charging me and I threw in my quicker ball (flipperish) and that grabbed me another stumping.

How good are you guys at reacting to what the batsmen does? Like can you see and then adjust in time, while making it look all casual?

If they are charging at me, usually I bowl the really slow delivery because 1) He is rushed so he will most likely play early and 2) He needs to create his own power. Or another one I do is bowl a shorter faster delivery, so it will most likely cramp him up. But I never bowl my stock delivery.

see thats the only thing i can react to :laugh

Other then that, i dont have that "thinking" ability yet. I dont have all that knowledge, you know, like to set the batsman up, trick him, when to bowl which delivery and do all that. All i know is pitch the ball there, mix it up, and thats about it.

so i need to work on my plan and stuff

How good are you guys at reacting to what the batsmen does? Like can you see and then adjust in time, while making it look all casual?

If they are charging at me, usually I bowl the really slow delivery because 1) He is rushed so he will most likely play early and 2) He needs to create his own power. Or another one I do is bowl a shorter faster delivery, so it will most likely cramp him up. But I never bowl my stock delivery.

Just stop and go back to your mark. That will really throw him off for the next delivery.

Users who are viewing this thread