c - Captain
Wk - Wicket keeper.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
skyrj7.jpg

Possibles Manage To Beat the Probables in Close Edged Thriller

harmison.jpg

At a nearly half full Taunton the fans were treated to the second thriller in just 5 days. The first thriller was at Worcester where the Lions managed to spank the Aussies back into Wales. Now in an ODI game the England Possibles managed to beat the England Probables with just 6 balls to spare and by 3 wickets.

On a baking hot day with an excellent flat deck with a bit of bounce on offer the Probables captain Andrew Strauss won the toss and decided to bat and set the Possibles a target. With the hopes of a large opening partnership, they set out hoping to score at a good pace. The hopes of a big opening partnership were dashed when Cook pulled one straight into Morgan’s hands off the bowling off Steve Harmison who looked as if he really wanted his test place back. Strauss and Bopara then put on 60 for the second wicket until Bopara lofted one to mid on off a cleverly disguised slower ball by Onions. Wickets then fell regularly who looked like the Central contracts were doing them no good, as the lack of match practice showed with all Cook, Pietersen, Collingwood, Flintoff and Swann all making low scored. All these batsmen will have been looking for scores to find some form before the real thing starts!
If anything it was the Possibles bowlers who built themselves a last chance case to be involved in the XI for the first test at Cardiff. Harmison was the man who built himself the biggest case for the bowling spot by taking 3 key wickets for the Possibles to set them up with the win, not only did he take the wickets but he was also economical, the one thing that might put his case down a bit was his performance for the Lions against Australia where he didn’t manage to take very many wickets.

When the Possibles came out to bat the only way they were looking to score is positively, they put on a much better opening stand then the Probables putting on 115 for the first wicket off only 125 balls. Ian Bell from the Possibles made the biggest case of the batsmen to be included come the first test in Cardiff. After spanking 188 against the Aussies and then scored 65 today. Shah who may be fighting with Bopara and Bell for the number 3 sport pretty much ruled himself out of selection by scoring just 4. Samit Patel who will most probably not get a look in during the Test Series scored a handy 48 at just over a run a ball helped the Possibles on their way to a win.

The Possibles managed to chase the score down with 3 wickets remaining and with just 6 balls to spare with Foster and Bresnan taking the lads across the line. It was Graeme Swann who nearly bowled the Probables to victory by taking 4 for 48 from his 10 overs.

It was an interesting day for all who went to watch, the selectors now will have a few interesting decisions to make, a few may have played them self into contention and some people might have played themselves out of contention.

Code:
England Probables VS England Possibles at Taunton

England Probables win the toss and elect to bat.

England Probables innings

Player              Status                        Runs  Blls  4s   6s    S/R
Andrew Strauss      c. Onions      b. Harmison     66    86    5    0   76.7%
Alastair Cook       c. Morgan      b. Harmison      2    11    0    0   18.2%
Ravi Bopara         c. Masch'nhas  b. Onions       43    50    6    0   86.0%
Kevin Pietersen     run out (Key)                  14    10    1    1  140.0%
Paul Collingwood    c. Morgan      b. Harmison      4     4    0    0  100.0%
Andrew Flintoff     c. Foster      b. Rashid       15    17    1    0   88.2%
Matthew Prior       not out                        63    68    6    0   92.6%
Graeme Swann        c. Rashid      b. Onions        7    16    0    0   43.8%
Stuart Broad        not out                        28    44    1    0   63.6%
James Anderson                                    
Ryan Sidebottom                                   

Total:  251/7       Overs:  50.0          Run Rate:  5.02      Extras:  9    

England Possible Bowling

Player               Overs   Mdns    Runs   Wkts      E/R    Wds    NBs
Steve Harmison       10.0      0      39      3      3.90     1      0 
Tim Bresnan          10.0      0      45      0      4.50     2      0 
Dimitri Mascharenhas  6.0      0      31      0      5.17     1      0 
Graham Onions         8.0      0      52      2      6.50     2      0 
Adil Rashid           8.0      0      37      1      4.63     0      0 
Samit Patel           8.0      0      44      0      5.50     0      0 

EXTRAS           Wides: 6      No Balls: 0      Leg Byes: 3      Byes: 0 

Total: 251/7          Overs: 50.0         Run Rate: 5.02      Extras: 9 

England Possibles innings

Player              Status                        Runs  Blls  4s   6s    S/R
Robert Key                     c & b. Swann        60    66    7    0   90.9%
Ian Bell            c. Sidebottom  b. Swann        65    74    7    1   87.8%
Owais Shah          run out (Sidebottom)            8    17    1    0   47.1%
Samit Patel         lbw            b. Swann        48    47    6    1  102.1%
Eoin Morgan                        b. Swann        24    31    4    0   77.4%
Dimitri Mascharenhasc. Pietersen   b. Anderson      4     7    1    0   57.1%
James Foster        not out                        15    18    0    0   83.3%
Adil Rashid         c. Bopara      b. Sidebottom    7    15    0    1   46.7%
Tim Bresnan         not out                        16    25    1    0   64.0%
Graham Onions        
Steve Harmison       

Total:  253/7       Overs:  49.4          Run Rate:  5.09      Extras:  6    

England Probables Bowling

Player               Overs   Mdns    Runs   Wkts      E/R    Wds    NBs
James Anderson       10.0      0      53      1      5.30     1      0 
Andrew Flintoff      10.0      0      55      0      5.50     0      0 
Stuart Broad         10.0      0      45      0      4.50     1      0 
Ryan Sidebottom       7.4      0      40      1      5.22     0      0 
Graeme Swann         10.0      0      48      4      4.80     0      0 
Paul Collingwood      2.0      0       8      0      4.00     0      0 

EXTRAS           Wides: 2      No Balls: 0      Leg Byes: 4      Byes: 0 

Total: 253/7          Overs: 49.4         Run Rate: 5.09      Extras: 6 

England Probables            251/7     50.0 overs
England Possibles            253/7     49.4 overs

England Possibles won by 3 wickets

Man of the match: Graeme Swann

Last edited:

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Originally Posted by holdenator
I have bookmarked send2yarri's kit thread as it has such an aestheticly pleasing download index and his kits are stunning!
I really love this comment thanks man,and a great story possibly their will be a close contest between possibles and probables.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
It's okay send2yaari, it's because I think your kits are stunning! Thanks for commenting aswell!

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Nice idea of 'Probables vs Possibles' and it produced a fantastic match. I think the only 'Possible' that may get a chance because of this game is Harmison. All the other spots I think will be taken up by 'Probables'. It's just whether England want the extra seamer or extra spinner.

Great presentation mate, good stuff :)

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
1. Kevin Pietersen (c)
2. Ravinder Bopara *
3. Ricky Ponting *
4. Michael Clarke *
5. Michael Hussey
6. Matt Prior (Wk)
7. Paul Collingwood
8. Swann
9. Mitchell Johnson
10. Brett Lee
11. James Anderson

shantanu_rooney added 3 Minutes and 25 Seconds later...

Yeah really nice idea of Probables v Possibles and that was a really tight match.

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
can I ask what is this fantasy league?can I have my participation?

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
you can still enter, as it says its still available. choose 11 players, make one of them your captain and choose 3 stars

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Basicaly Aouni, as hedger said you pick 11 players from the 40 players available, you have a captain and 3 bonus players who either double or treble their points. You can have any slection of the players the only restricition is you must pick a registered wicket keeper.

Just incase you guys don't know, I am updating the fixtures in the second update so I am linking each fixture to its update so the first two links are live, I have also changed the ODI tri series from the West Indies to South Africa. My first ideas were to have West Indies but then I changed to South Africa and forgot to edit the fixtures.

I have also taken out the two one day friendlies for Australia just because I feel they are irrelevant :p.

Thanks for commenting guys and hope to hear more from you.

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
. Kevin Pietersen (c)
2. Ravinder Bopara
3. Ricky Ponting*
4. Michael Clarke
5. Michael Hussey
6. Matt Prior (Wk)
7. Paul Collingwood
8. Flintoff*
9. Mitchell Johnson
10. Brett Lee*
11. Monty

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Sorry boys, It's gonna be a few days. I'm in a process of moving country's. Leaving on monday morning and then driving to switzerland so next update will probably be wednesday. Thanks for your co operation

Ollie

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Nice idea with the probables vs possibles. Ian Bell will be delighted with his knock.

Good stuff mate kiu!

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
skyrj7.jpg
fromtheboxxb4.jpg

From The Box - 1st Day Build Up

Hello and Welcome to the first morning of the 2009 Ashes, I?m David Gower and your joining us live on sky sports for the first day of the Ashes. . We?re live here at the Swalec Stadium formerly known as Sophia Gardens. One of our morning talking points is the choice to stage the First Test of the Ashes at the Swalec stadium instead of staging it at the home of Cricket, Lords. The decision was made to host the 1st test here due to a bidding process being held as to where the match would be held. Subsequently the Swalec stadium won this auction for the test. After this was announced all the talk of how the ground would hold up in its first test. Of course, there have been One Day Internationals played here. Cardiff hasn?t been a happy hunting ground for Australia on previous occasions, losing to Bangladesh here in 2005. A game which is still a shock to all Aussie fans and is also a victory that Bangladesh have revelled in ever since it happened. The pitch is under huge scrutiny as to how it will play. A few weeks back people were saying that the pitch would spin and two spinners was a must on this wicket. While this still seems to be the case it looks less conducive to spin now but when the later days come it should spin a lot more.

We go down to the toss where Paul Allot has both captains.

Thanks very much David, I?m down here with both Andrew Strauss and Ricky Ponting the captains of the respective sides. Before we do the toss let?s just take a look at this pitch we have here at Cardiff.

pitchr.jpg

As we can see from the picture, the pitch is very hard and dry this is mainly thanks to the hot and dry weather we have had for the past fortnight. One talking point is that the pitch is not a new one, it has been used for a One Day game between Glamorgan and Surrey earlier this week, so the pitch has seen 80 over?s use. Now to the toss, Andrew you have the coin and Ricky you are to call.

Ricky Ponting said:

Paul Allot: Heads it is, Ricky you have won the toss, what are you going to do?

Ricky Ponting said:
We?re gonna have a bat mate, the pitch looks hard and should have pretty consistent bounce. It will also mean we get to have go on this pitch in the final days when the pitch really should be turning Warney Style.

Paul Allot: You bring up an interesting point, ever since Shane retired you have been chopping and changing spinners like the English team have with their keepers. Now Nathan Hauritz is the only spinner you have in the squad so surely he is getting a game? He has also been subject to a lot of criticsm, how has he taken that?

Ricky Ponting said:
Yeah look, it?s always gonna be hard for someone to come and and fill in Warney?s shoes, your right we have chopped and changed and at the moment Haury has the spot and he needs to make it his own. A lot has been made of his selection and he isn?t the same bowler as Warne but he still does a job for us. He?s had a lot of criticsm but we have full faith in his ability to do the job for us or he wouldn?t be here.

Paul Allot: Now we hear you have a few injury problems and a few left field selections, care to share these with us.

Ricky Ponting said:
We are struggling with a few niggles yes, Brett pulled out yesterday and is out for this test and possibly the next, he is off having a scan today to see what the extent of his injury is. He?s gonna be a big loss to us, the other big loss to us is the loss of Hughesy. It was one of those freak accident?s a lot like Glen?s for years ago when he trod on a cricket ball. This time Hughesy who was looking forward to making his Ashes debut today slipped whilst coming out of the shower. It?s an embarrassing moment for the young lad but these things happen. As for our left field selections Mitch will lead the bowling attack with Hilfy and Siddle to complement him. With no other registered opener in the squad we have asked Watto to open. He does it in the One Day game for us so we wondered if he would be up for doing in the 5 day format for us. Of course he jumped at the chance of being in the side and was more than happy to do it for us.

Paul Allot: Thanks a lot for enlightening us Ricky, Now over to you Andrew. Would you have had a bat?

Andrew Strauss said:
It?s an interesting one Paul, I probably would have had a bat but to be honest I?m too disappointed to be having a bowl. We will get our chance to bat on here and we will be trying to make it as soon as possible. The pitch should provide good bounce and good carry through to Matty behind the stumps.

Paul Allot: It does look like a belta I have to agree. Ricky told us about some of his interesting selections, have you got any left field selections?

Andrew Strauss said:
I have to say I did have a chuckle when Ricky was talking about young Phil Hughes. We have given Belly his place back, he looks in excellent knick making two big scores recently and he has earnt his place by being the leading run scorer in the county championship. Apart from that we haven?t really got much else, Freddie bats at 8 so we have a fair amount of batting in the team.

Paul Allot: So a somewhat more conventional lineup from you then Andy. We look forward to what is going to be a belta. So the news from the toss is that the Aussies have won the toss and will have a bat, back to you David.

kpvsmitch.png

Well this is one of the key battles we hear on Sky Sports are analysing. Mitchell Johnson will have his chance to lead the Aussie bowling attack for just the second time after the series in South Africa. Of course KP has been around for more than a while and made the name for himself in the Ashes 4 years ago. 4 years on and he still averages a touch over 50 and it will be interesting to see how the targeted KP will cope with the unorthodoxy of Mitchell Johnson.

Join us after this short break when we will have the first days play, live from Cardiff.

N.B Fantasy Teams can no longer be posted and are now shut. They will re open after this test.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Good toss to win by the looks of the pitch, but Hauritz really needs to step up to the plate and use the pitch in the 2nd and 4th innings.

Great stuff Ollie, look forward to the action :)

Users who are viewing this thread