surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I am having a tough competition with Arslaan to lead from the bottom of the table. :D England never had a happy momentum in this match, hopefully they recover well in next match. :)

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
skyrj7.jpg
fromtheboxxb4.jpg

Post Match Presentation

Hello, I’m David Gower and I’m joined in the studio by Paul Allot and David Lloyd. Over the past 4 days we have seen Australia completely trounce England in all aspects of the game. England batting looked suspect with the combinations look incredibly weak, Andrew Strauss was the only man in the test to pass 100, he also looked like the best batsmen out there as well. He looked in fine touch, the other batsmen who looked in terrific form was Australian Michael Hussey. ‘Mr Cricket’ as he is known, was in terrible form coming into the series but he seems to have found his form after taking a break from the game. On the bowling front the Australians looked at their best, Johnson, Hilfenhaus and Siddle all fired at some points throughout the game. So Paul, What are your view points on the game?

paulallott_1055191.jpg
: Well David, England have played incredibly poorly, whilst the Aussies shone like the sun. The match looked as easy for them as stealing candy from a baby. England may need to tinker their batting order as at the moment it just looks far too fragile and looks as if they could collapse at any given moment. Compared to the Aussies they look like they could have one of the strongest batting line ups in the world at the moment, even Johnson looks as if he could put the English to all parts.

showpic.asp
: What you all miss is that the England 2nd innings showed a huge improvement to their first effort, it just happened to be that twice England frail middle order faulted. It has to be handed to the Australian bowled they really fired in the first innings where as in the second innings it was more a case of the English giving their wickets away.

150-David-Gower.jpg
: Yeah, I have to say I agree with both of you. But David you bring up an interesting point, in the second innings the English batsmen very much gave their wickets away, does this mean that if they hadn’t given it away they would have been capable of chasing the total down?

showpic.asp
: You know David, it could well have been possible. Straussy and Cookie and at that stage it did really look possible. Then Pietersen and Collingwood looked to have had another partnership set but then both were done by good balls and I think from about there it was game over.

150-David-Gower.jpg
: Lets go and join Nasser for the post match Presentation.

nasserhussainshirt_1055226.jpg
: Thanks David, I’m down here in the middle and my first guest today is the losing captain Andrew Strauss. Firstly Straussy congratulations on your ton, it looked as if you might make It at one stage. How do you feel about your performance?

Thanks a lot Nass, I felt it pretty good touch while I was out there and I was disappointed with the way I got out and that I didn’t manage to make it an even bigger century but these things happen and I will have to learn my lessons from them. I feel that my captaincy is improving as I’m going along, I’m tying to really learn as much as possible and I am very willing to take as much advice as possible.

: You sound happy with your own performance, but what how did you think the team performed as a whole?

Andrew Strauss said:
We haven’t played particularly well but it is a well known fact that we as a team don’t start a series very well which is a point we are trying to address at the moment and we know it was one our main faults. The batting also hasn’t played particularly well today but we know we have the power to fire.

: Any changes you might know for the Next test?

Andrew Strauss said:
You know as well as I do Nass that I can’t say these things now. Me and Andy and some of the senior members will have a sit down some time tomorrow and we will have to discuss where things need to be addressed and who needs to be in the team. It’s something we really need to look at as we can’t afford to go 2-0 down after the first two test matches.

: Thanks Straussy. Now it’s time for the winning captain, Ricky Ponting. Congrats Ricky, A convincing victory and you must extremely pleased to be 1-0 up after the first test?

Ricky Ponting said:
Yeah, it was something we were really looking at prior to the series. We needed to take the first test match and pile the pressure straight onto the English. We didn’t expect them to roll over quite as easily as they did but all in all we are happy with the way we bowled, everyone chipped in here and there and the way we batted. We had nearly all the batsmen chipping with runs along the way.

: You mention that all the batsmen chipped in with runs, how important was it that people like Shane Watson and Mike Hussey scored runs?

Ricky Ponting said:
If I’m honest mate, and Shane knows this as well, Before Philly fell over in the shower he wasn’t in our plans to be in the team. He scored a good 50 in the first innings and then there was some hesitant running between him and Katto to get him out in the second innings. It’s what you expect when two guys haven’t batted together before. But yeah, he has come in and scored the runs he needed and now has the selectors with a big headache. As for Mike, he took some time out of the game after he admitted he was really struggling and look what has happened to him, it’s all paid off and he has come out and hit back to back 50’s.

: Thanks for that Ricky and look forward to seeing you at Lords for the second test. Now it’s time for the man of the match presentation. There were really 3 stand out performer’s. There was Graeme Swann’s 5 on the first day of the test, Mike Hussey’s back to back century’s and Andrew Strauss 2nd innings hundred. And the Man of the Match is Mike Hussey. Congrats on Man of the Match Mike, how do you feel your about your self at the moment?

Mike Hussey said:
Thanks a lot Nass, I’m feeling a lot better in myself and also my batting than I was a few months back. I was really struggling with my form and after my where I couldn’t stop scoring runs I was it difficult too score runs. I really needed the time away from the game to rejuvenate myself. International cricketers go through a lot of stress and periods of bad form and the way I wanted to deal was by just dropping everything and taking a few weeks out, and it certainly does seem to have helped.

: A lot was said of your long period out of form?

Mike Hussey said:
Yeah it was pretty much picked on and I’m sure people will still think I am in that patch after both these 50’s, I need to perform in the next test match as well and then I and the public can feel with happy with where my cricket is.

:Thanks a lot for that Mike, Well that’s your lot from the Post Match Chat. Join us next time when we will have the preview of the 2nd Ashes Test from Lords.

-------------------------------------------------------
The Fantasy Competition is now open for any members who are yet to have joined if they would like to they can now post the 11 players they think will score them the most points in the remaining tests, each current participating team may also make a maximum of 3 changes to their teams for those teams that would like to make changes. :)

Last edited:

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Woahh, those comments were rapid, thanks guys! And thanks for making my life easier but not making changes :p

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
ok im going to make three changes
Katich in for Hughes
M Clarke in for Collingwood
Siddle in for S Clark
so my team is:

1 Simon Katich
2 Andrew Strauss
3 Ricky Ponting *2
4 Kevin Pietersen *3
5 Michael Hussey
6 Michael Clarke
7 Matt Prior (wk)
8 Andrew Flintoff (capt)
9 Mitchell Johnson *1
10 Stuart Broad
11 Peter Siddle

Akash00

Panel of Selectors
1 Simon Katich
2 Andrew Strauss *1
3 Alaistair Cook *2
4 Ricky Ponting
5 Mike Hussey *3
6 Shane Watson - Captain
7 Brad Haddin (WK)
8 Mitchell Johnson
9 Peter Siddle
10 Graeme Swann
11 James Anderson

99 Not Out

Club Cricketer
skysports.png

Roaring Lions Defeat Convicts in Tight Game

hughesb.jpg

In a game of Epic proportions the England Lions have defeated the Australians by just one single wicket. In a game where the batsmen dominated most of the game it was tiresome time for both sets of bowlers.
Ian Bell named as the captain for the England Lions game lost the toss and was made to field. At the toss he said it wouldnt have been a hard choice to make between batting and bowling and he was happy to have lost the toss.

While the Aussies raced away to an excellent start Hughes showed his attacking intent by hammering 90 off just 70 balls. At the start of his innings he looked as if he meant to beat Laras record with the Lions bowlers struggling to bowl in the right places to him. Eventually it was Graham Onions who managed to snaffle Hughes. An excellent swinging delivery saw it shape away from Hughes and he tried to play across the line only managing to get a thick edge to Bell at second slip, Katich had earlier got a start only to caught behind after thin edging Rashid trying to play the ball down to 3rd man. The middle order apart from Ponting then failed as only then know how to in their recent form. Clarke who would have wished to find his feet in the English conditions was out for a single figures score and continued in his recent poor form. Ponting who was also in poor form going into the series started off looking very shaky and nervous but soon was finding his flowing himself and played a rash shot trying to get to 3 figures. The Australians finished all out for 333 with Rashid claiming 3 wickets for 47 and the pick of the Lions bowlers.

The Lions hit back strongly, Denly and Moore showing their bright futures as Englands leading batsmen for the future. Many called for Denly to be included in the World T20 competition and also the Ashes squad but the selectors feel he still needs time to work out his game and mature a bit more. Moore batted past his 50 and looked strong but was done by a lovely ball by part time spinner Katich. The Aussies may be looking for Katich to provide some part time spin as they seem to have little confidence in sole spinner Nathan Hauritz. Moore, Bell and Solanki all made it passed the half century mark but none managed to kick on to the big 3 figures.

The rest of the Lions batting order all made small contributions with Rashid showing how he can bat and glimpses of how good he could be in the future.
England finished on 323 all out with Clark and Johnson both picking up 4 wickets with Clark having the better figures of the two. These two places both seem set in stone for the Aussies with Lee battling for his position.

Australia then dominated the Lions bowlers all over the park and took complete control of the match. Hughes should have the England bowlers shaking in their boots after he announced his arrival with a match aggregate of 254 runs. Katich failed again but he will know that he can bounce back against the bowlers when the test matches start in just 4 days time. Unlike Katich, Ponting made up for his first innings error and complied 142 runs at over a run a ball, it was off just 126 balls showing he has the temperament to score big runs and score them quickly as well. With Hughes and Ponting both contributing big centuries big hundreds Mike Hussey chipped in with a solid 64 at over a run a ball showing the Lions how badly they wanted the win, willing to bat quickly to get a big total on the board so that not only could they bow the lions out but also treat the fans to a real stormer of a match! The Aussies declared on 389 for 2 setting the Lions the prime total of 400 to win.

With a target set for the Lions the game was on and the Lions got off to the worst possible start when Denly was dismissed for a duck caught by Clarke at slip off the bowling of Lee looking to get his place for the first test. Moore and Bell then set about chasing this target down. With the whole of England expecting Bell to bottle it once again he set about proving the whole of England wrong and showing how hungry he is to win his place back for the first test. Bell and Moore being the only people who managed to pass 50 and you could say they won the match for England.

The Aussies bowlers took wickets at crucial intervals; the wickets were spread out between all the bowlers. Brett Lee basically bowled himself to Cardiff with 3 wickets for 123. Katich and Johnson then took two wickets a piece, with Clark and North taking a solitary wicket each. Bell in the end did bottle it getting out at a crucial moment without managing to cash and make it to the 200. It was left to Bresnan to spank two sixes at the end to take the England Lions to the winning post and beat the Australians by just one wicket.

It was a match that had twists and turns and showed why the longer format of the game is still the main spectacle of the game. It was thanks to Ponting that the game came to such a dramatic close when he made a sporting declaration to give the Lions a score of 400 to win.

Code:
Wed July 1st - Sat July 4th

Australia VS England Lions at New Road

Australia won toss and elect to bat.

AUSTRALIA 1st innings

Player              Status                        Runs  Blls  4s   6s    S/R
Phillip Hughes      c. Bell        b. Onions       90    71   17    2  126.8%
Simon Katich        c. Davies      b. Rashid       34    54    7    0   63.0%
Ricky Ponting       c. Harmison    b. Bresnan      99    94   21    2  105.3%
Michael Hussey      c. Harmison    b. Panesar      23    28    5    0   82.1%
Michael Clarke      c. Davies      b. Bresnan       7    12    1    0   58.3%
Marcus North        c. Rashid      b. Panesar      10    14    2    0   71.4%
Brad Haddin         c. Morgan      b. Onions       11    19    2    0   57.9%
Mitchell Johnson                   b. Rashid       19    40    4    0   47.5%
Nathan Hauritz      c. Panesar     b. Harmison     24    50    3    1   48.0%
Brett Lee                          b. Rashid        1     6    0    0   16.7%
Stuart Clark        not out                         0     1    0    0    0.0%

Total:  333/10       Overs:  64.5         Run Rate:  5.14     Extras:  15 

ENGLAND LIONS Bowling

Player               Overs   Mdns    Runs   Wkts      E/R    Wds    NBs
Graham Onions        17.0      3      65      2      3.82     1      1 
Steve Harmison       11.0      0      68      1      6.18     0      2 
Tim Bresnan           8.0      0      45      2      5.63     0      0 
Joe Denly             5.0      0      30      0      6.00     0      1 
Adil Rashid          13.5      6      47      3      3.40     0      2 
Monty Panesar        10.0      1      70      2      7.00     0      0 

EXTRAS          Wides: 1      No Balls: 6      Leg Byes: 4      Byes: 4 

Total:  333/10       Overs:  64.5         Run Rate:  5.14    Extras:  15   

ENGLAND LIONS 1st innings

Joe Denly                      c & b. Lee          40    88    9    0   45.5%
Stephen Moore       c. North       b. Katich       77    90   15    1   85.6%
Ian Bell            c. North       b. Johnson      59    81   12    1   72.8%
Vikram Solanki                     b. Clark        57   144   11    0   39.6%
Eoin Morgan                        b. Johnson       9    29    2    0   31.0%
Steve Davies        lbw            b. Johnson      10    54    1    0   18.5%
Adil Rashid         c. Haddin      b. Johnson      35    28    7    0  125.0%
Tim Bresnan         c. Katich      b. Clark        10    28    1    1   35.7%
Steve Harmison      c. Haddin      b. Clark         9    22    1    0   40.9%
Graham Onions       not out                         4    13    0    0   30.8%
Monty Panesar       c. Ponting     b. Clark         0     3    0    0    0.0%

Total:  323/10       Overs:  96.4         Run Rate:  3.34     Extras:  13 

AUSTRALIA Bowling

Stuart Clark         18.4      5      47      4      2.52     1      0 
Mitchell Johnson     19.0      6      64      4      3.37     0      2 
Brett Lee            20.0      5      50      1      2.50     0      0 
Marcus North         15.0      5      64      0      4.27     0      1 
Nathan Hauritz        3.0      2       4      0      1.33     0      0 
Simon Katich         17.0      5      71      1      4.18     0      2 
Michael Clarke        4.0      1      16      0      4.00     0      0 

EXTRAS          Wides: 1      No Balls: 5      Leg Byes: 7      Byes: 0 

Total:  323/10       Overs:  96.4         Run Rate:  3.34    Extras:  13   

AUSTRALIA 2nd innings

Phillip Hughes      not out                       164   222   36    1   73.9%
Simon Katich        c. Moore       b. Onions        5     9    1    0   55.6%
Ricky Ponting       lbw            b. Panesar     142   126   31    0  112.7%
Michael Hussey      not out                        64    57   15    0  112.3%
Michael Clarke       
Marcus North         
Brad Haddin          
Mitchell Johnson     
Nathan Hauritz       
Brett Lee            
Stuart Clark         

Total:  389/2        Overs:  69.0         Run Rate:  5.64     Extras:  14 

ENGLAND LIONS Bowling

Graham Onions        16.0      1      80      1      5.00     0      2 
Steve Harmison       17.0      3      84      0      4.94     0      0 
Tim Bresnan          10.0      1      62      0      6.20     0      0 
Adil Rashid          14.0      2      95      0      6.79     1      3 
Monty Panesar        12.0      1      62      1      5.17     1      1 

EXTRAS          Wides: 2      No Balls: 6      Leg Byes: 1      Byes: 5 

Total:  389/2        Overs:  69.0         Run Rate:  5.64    Extras:  14   

ENGLAND LIONS 2nd innings  (Target: 400)

Joe Denly           c. Clarke      b. Lee           0    15    0    0    0.0%
Stephen Moore       lbw            b. Katich       64    57   14    0  112.3%
Ian Bell            c. Hughes      b. Lee         188   235   42    0   80.0%
Vikram Solanki                     b. Lee          31    86    5    1   36.0%
Eoin Morgan         lbw            b. North        38    79    7    0   48.1%
Steve Davies        c. Haddin      b. Johnson      16    12    4    0  133.3%
Adil Rashid         c. Ponting     b. Katich        9     5    2    0  180.0%
Tim Bresnan         not out                        33    37    5    2   89.2%
Steve Harmison      c. Hughes      b. Johnson       0    20    0    0    0.0%
Graham Onions       c. Katich      b. Clark         4     4    0    0  100.0%
Monty Panesar       not out                         0    10    0    0    0.0%

Total:  404/9        Overs:  93.2         Run Rate:  4.33     Extras:  21 

AUSTRALIA Bowling

Stuart Clark         20.0      6      52      1      2.60     0      2 
Mitchell Johnson     13.0      3      63      2      4.85     0      2 
Brett Lee            21.2      2     123      3      5.77     0      4 
Michael Clarke        2.0      0      23      0     11.50     0      0 
Simon Katich         21.0      2      79      2      3.76     1      2 
Marcus North         13.0      2      46      1      3.54     0      0 
Nathan Hauritz        3.0      1       8      0      2.67     0      0 

EXTRAS          Wides: 1      No Balls: 10     Leg Byes: 2      Byes: 8 

Total:  404/9        Overs:  93.2         Run Rate:  4.33    Extras:  21   

Australia           333 & 389/2d
England Lions       323 & 404/9              

England Lions won by 1 wickets

Man of the match: Phillip Hughes

Just looking back on this game, 99 times out of 100, the man of the match is on the winning side. I would have expected Ian Bell to be MOTM with 188 and 59.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Hughes had a higher run aggregate though? By if my arthimitic is correct by about 20 runs.

99 Not Out

Club Cricketer
Stuart Broad took 6 wickets, and scored around 70 runs. England would have been humiliated if It wasn't for him.

Marcus North was man of the match because of 125 and a catch.

although he scored 20 more runs, he didn't do enough 4 his team 2 win the game. Therefor Ian Bell SHOULD have got man of the match

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
well I didn't choose him as man of the match so don't go blaming me :)

Pakistani Army

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Mike Hussey was a good choice in the end to attain the Man Of The Match award with his back to back half-centuries. It just goes to show that he is and should be Mr.Cricket despite some critics having a go at him and does show his consistency. Regarding England, they will have to work hard to bounce back and go into The Home of Cricket, Lord's with a high morale and expect to win.

I must say Ollie, this is some fantastic detail you are putting in to each update. Top marks mate! :banana2

Last edited:

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
hey, could you put up Hauritz's average a bit. He's bowling 3 over's an innings. I mean when does Katich bowl 20 more over's than the frontline spinner.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
That was cricsim, and I'm actually playing this on cric 07... check the scorecards?

Users who are viewing this thread