Story The Ashes 2009: Australia in England [Day 3: 1st Ashes Test Posted]

Brilliant update mate,This is one of the best storys ever!
And yes the links work fine.

Cricket -> News -> Report

Smith to lead star studded MCC XI
Friday, June 26 2007, 18:27 Hrs (IST)

London: South African captain Graeme Smith is set to lead a star-studded MCC team which will play the touring Australians at Lord's on July 1. Along side Smith is New Zealand batsmen Ross Taylor and Hamish Marshall who are touring with the New Zealand national side as they face English county and club sides in their off-season training camp.

"Its really something I'm looking forward to, leading this side which has some established faces and some faces of the future in English cricket," Smith said on his holiday in England ahead of the Twenty20 World Cup in September. Smith, who has captained South Africa since the 2003 Cricket World Cup, added, "Its a big opportunity for the younger guys to play against a quality side like Australia, and something players this age rarely get the chance to do. It will be a big challenge, but I'm confident we can play well against the touring team."

Along side Smith, Taylor and Marshall is former English and Surrey seamer Martin Bicknell and former West Indian bowler Franklin Rose. The rest of the team is made up of current and former MCC Young Cricketers, studying at the MCC Universities - the six university centres of cricketing excellence which are funded exclusively by the MCC.

MCC head of cricket John Stephenson, said, "I am delighted that we have been able to appoint a player with Graeme's experience as captain for this important fixture. He brings with him a wealth of tactical knowledge, having played for South Africa against the West Indies in 8 Test matches and 12 one-day internationals.

"We are also confident that the international experience of Ross, Hamish, Franklin and Martin will be of great benefit to the students in the side."

MCC XI v Australia
Gary Ballance (Derbyshire / Zimbabwe Under-19s)
Graeme Smith (captain) (Somerset / Gauteng / Western Province / South Africa)
Ross Taylor (MCC Young Cricketers / Central Districts / New Zealand)
Hamish Marshall (MCC Young Cricketers / Gloucestershire / Northern Districts / New Zealand)
Will Gidman (MCC Young Cricketers / Durham)
Frederik Klokker (wicket keeper) (MCC Young Cricketers / Warwickshire / Derbyshire / Denmark)
Dawid Malan (Boland / Middlesex)
Andy Sutton (MCC Young Cricketers / Herefordshire)
Akhil Patel (Derbyshire)
Franklyn Rose (Gauteng / Northamptonshire / Surrey / Jamaica / West Indies)
Martin Bicknell (Surrey / England)

UNI

----

Last edited:
Frederick Klokker is now a Derbys player

i really hope the derbys players step up

Took a look at the whole story and i should say this is one of the best ICC stories i have ever seen . Brilliant work mate :cheers

MCC v Australians, Tour Match, Arundel Castle CC
Fast finishing Australians thwart Taylor efforts
Cricinfo staff
1 July 2009

Australians 324 (49.3 overs) (Hussey 88, Hodge 78, Watson 67, Bicknell 4-60) beat Marylebone Cricket Club 273-6 (50 overs) (Taylor 102, Ballance 63, White 3-41) by 51 runs
Scorecard

048450.jpg

Brisk half centuries from Brad Hodge and Mike Hussey proved too much for the Marylebone Cricket Club to handle despite a rollicking 72-ball 102 from New Zealander Ross Taylor as the touring Australian side moved to an unconvincing 51-run victory.

Winning the toss and electing to bat, an understrength Australian side looked to give their top order batsmen a chance to gain form against an MCC attack consisting of the retired and inexperienced. However, it would 40-year old former Surrey and England bowler Martin Bicknell - in his first competitive List-A match since 2005 - managed to claim two early scalps against the Australian top order. His gentle medium pace was enough to squeeze through Phil Jaques' bat and pad, dismissing him for just four, whilst a rash swipe across the line from West Australian wicketkeeper Luke Ronchi saw Bicknell clean bowl him for seventeen.

However, despite the loss of two more middle order batsmen as Adam Voges was trapped in front by Herefordshire pace bowler Andy Sutton whilst an impressive ball from chinaman Akhil Patel, the Derbyshire bowler forcing White to try to hit him over the top - only to find Dawid Malan to be dismissed for 12.

Shane Watson and Hodge were then able to combine for a 40-run stand, Watson asserting some controlled agression as he effortlessly raced to 67 in 71 balls. However, the end of his innings came as a surprise for everyone as Patel beat him for spin. Stand-in captain Mike Hussey managed to join Hodge in a 167-run stand to help Australia past 300, Hussey's 88 coming in just 75 balls before his dismissal to Sutton whilst Hodge managed 78 in 89 in a calm knock before 37-year old West Indian Franklyn Rose surprised all by clean bowling the Victorian.

The MCC innings started off confidently as South African and MCC captain Graeme Smith combined with young Derbyshire and Zimbabwean Gary Ballance for a 51-run stand in the first six overs. However, the brash South African opener would depart for a quickfire 33 as Mitchell Johnson bowled him as he aggressively came down the wicket. However, Kiwi prodigy Ross Taylor looked to attack the Aussie attack - Ben Hilfenhaus receiving most of the punishment - as the MCC raced along to 1-187 in just 28 overs. However, a calm knock from Ballance came to an end on 63 as he popped up a return catch to Shaun Tait; a tame dismissal to a mature innings.

Taylor soon passed his century in no time, but leg-spinner Cameron White caught him plumb in front for a glorious 102 - prompting an almighty collapse from the MCC which saw them score just 60 runs in the fifteen overs following Taylor's dismissal. Former New Zealand player Hamish Marshall was painstakingly slow before his dismissal for 17 in 41 deliveries as Cameron White managed to claim the crucial wicket. White and fellow Victorian Brad Hodge combined for a twenty over spell to restrict the MCC scoring rate which occured so freely against the bowlers to wrap up a 51-run victory as the MCC innings finished on 6-273.

"Its really a great atmosphere," MCC captain Smith said of his first outing for the Marylebone Cricket Club. "I always felt that when we [South Africa] played against the MCC it was a very worthwhile experience to regain some form - but now playing for them you get the chance to play with some of the younger guys and the older ones as well.

"To see a guy like [Gary] Ballance come up to the top of the order against an international attack and produce such a great knock is what these festival games are all about. The same happened with Ross Taylor, who totally dominated the match."

When asked about about his prediction for the Ashes, Smith held scathing words about the Australian side to continue the bitter relationship between Smith and his Australian counterpart Ricky Ponting, "If they [Australia] are going to keep the Ashes then their bowling has to lift by a huge amount. The attack we faced today was nearly full strength and it simply isn't good enough. Their pace bowlers tend to go for too many and there is an over reliance on their batsmen - which admitedly are very good.

"If I was to make a prediction, it'd be England based on current form. Their batting is just as capable as Australia on their day, and their bowling is far superior."

© Cricinfo

----

matchvmccoa2.jpg

Last edited:
I just discovered this story. Well done Lots of detail! ICC2002, wow!

Australia in England, 2009
Rashid and Denly in line for debuts
Wisden Cricinfo staff
July 1, 2009

76716.jpg

English selectors have gambled on youth in their 13-man squad for the final two one day internationals in which they take a 2-1 lead into Friday's fourth match. Highly touted Yorkshire prodigy Adil Rashid is set to make his first appearance in an England shirt, whilst Kent opener Joe Denly becomes the second English batsman to be tried this summer as he takes the place of struggling Middlesex batsman Nick Compton.

Rashid has been in fine form this summer in the Friends Provident Trophy - claiming 20 wickets at an average of just 13.50 runs per wicket to lead the wickets tally for the season. However, it was Denly who surprised in his call up - selected alongside other Essex Alastair Coo. However, Denly's 398 runs at an average of just under 50 was impressive enough to earn a call up where he is likely to replace Ian Bell at the top of the innings, his strike rate of 92 this season helping his credentials.

Among the casualties of the squad of the first three one day games, Monty Panesar's unimpressive performances - claiming three wickets at an average of just under 33 - saw Rashid favoured for the one day game, whilst Nick Compton, Ed Joyce, Sajid Mahmood, Chris Tremlett and Dimitri Mascarenhas also were dropped after below par performances.

England squad Andrew Flintoff (capt), Marcus Trescothick (vice capt), Kevin Pietersen, Ian Bell, Joe Denly, Ravinder Bopara, Alastair Cook, Paul Collingwood, Steve Davies, James Anderson, Stuart Broad, Jon Lewis, Adil Rashid

© Cricinfo

----

Last edited:
Wow long time between updates... but still very much worth the wait. I dont think that they were very realistic selections but both players do have potential

Good England squad. Cant believe they've given Freddie the captaincy again lol

Wow long time between updates... but still very much worth the wait. I dont think that they were very realistic selections but both players do have potential

I'd not be surprised to see Rashid in the squad by 2009 - particularly considering someone like Sajid can get a game. Denly is a real roughie - I agree, however he's been in sparkling touch this season (scored a half-ton against the Indians today for England A), and I reckon he could go close to cracking into the test team.

Thanks for the feedback, though!

the selection of Rashid isnt out of thin air but the omission of the Turbinator is. thats what i was trying to get at.

This is definately my favourite story the only thing i dont like is the scorecards because i dont have great eye sight but i guess thats a personal opinion

put your story up for story of the month and you will have my vote

Users who are viewing this thread