The Ashes - 6 Month Form Guide

Hayden dropped - top/middle order ODI woes for Australia

Almost two days ago, the unthinkable happened. Matthew Hayden, the man with over 1000 Test runs over each of the past four years, and Australias leading ODI run-scorer in 2004, was dropped in favour of Michael Clarke. The out of form Hayden, who failed against Pakistan in the Test Series, and then scored 42 runs in the qualifying rounds of the VB Series, now has his ODI future on the line. He might return in NZ for the first ODI, but if Michael Clarke continues his good form, it is hard to see how Hayden will get back into the side.
And Australias top/middle ODI order woes continued when the top 3 made low scores. Gilchrist, a massive clean hitter of the ball was contained, then flukishly caught by Razzaq. Clarke was lbw to Rana and Ponting was bowled by a beauty from Rao. Thanks to Damien Martyn and in particular Andrew Symonds, who scored a wonderful 91 off 101, Australia reached 3-190, until Martyn was stumped looking for quick runs at the end....
Heres part two of the Australian ODI middle order woes.
Darren Lehmann, a good player only batting at 50% of his capabilities lately tried to reverswe sweep the first delivery he faced was caught behind by Kamran. Katich came in and got out for a scratchy 9 off 17, although you could forgive him to an extent because it was near the end of the innings and he was looking for quick runs. Next ball Symonds was out to a good catch by Inzamam.
By the end of the innings, Australia had lost 7/49.
Their test batting form is fine, but the ODI batsmen sometimes make you wonder. Lehmann in particular has a big case to answer to keep his spot in the team. Watson already got his spot in Sydney so that the Aussies could play two spinners.

I'm very happy of the decision from the Aussie cricket board because over the last few months Hayden has become increasingly arrogant. I remember when Australia toured India there were a couple of articles by Hayden showing off even though he had performed very badly. He's a great batsmen but quite frankly, some players are not made for the pen. Even today he has come out with an article saying that the decision to drop him was harsh. Go lick your wounds, Hayden!

It is harsh. For each of the past 5 years his ODI average has been 38.20 (2000), 44.43 (2001), 54.88 (2002), 39.88 (2003) and 41.13 (2004). By comparison, Virender Sehwag has averaged 19.00 (2000), 29.27 (2001), 41.85 (2002), 32.26 (2003) and 25.81 (2004). He hasn't been scoring ducks. In fact, since the ICC Champions Trophy he has scored 4 half-centuries in Tests. His ODI average has been about 20 and his Test average about 33. Poor form, true, yet other teams persist with batsmen whose career averages are similar. It may be fair to remove him, to better ensure victory in the finals of the VB series, but if you can't trust one who is arguably your best batsman to score runs and return to form, then what hope is there for the rest of the team, when their form looks doubtful?

angryangy said:
Poor form, true, yet other teams persist with batsmen whose career averages are similar.
But do other teams have quality replacements like the Aussies do?

Quality replacement...hehe. I think Michael Clarke is nothing more than a makeshift opener--trying to cover up for the fact that Hayden is not performing. Sure he got a century but so did Kamran Akmal. That does not make them quality openers. I think Clarke should get back to the middle-lower order where he comes in and makes 40 from 30 when the chips are down. Then again, Clarke may just become a devastating opening batsman (like Sehwag) but may pay with inconsistency.

Aslong as he makes runs it doesn't matter where he bats! Thats what i'd be thinking if I was Australian. It may have been tough on Hayden, but as Brad said, there is quality to replace quality in the Australian side. Kasprowicz has hardly played in the VB Series, he's a top bowler. Players like Watson, can also come in and do a good job.

I dont think ENgland are going to be winning any Ashes Tests, apart from the usual last one when its a dead rubber :D They just havent performed well enough in S.A to show that they are anywhere near where they have to be to beat the best in the world.

Yeah I'd agree but I would still feel much more confident of their ability to put up a decent fight compared to last time. Granted the Aussies are an awesome team but England are now ranked no.2 in the world, playing at home so Harmy can't get homesick and this series really matters to everyone in the team. This is also an England team that has learned to scrap consistently fighting out of awkward situations. Some players in the Aussie team have so rarely had to do that that put them under pressure and they might not be up to it.
I would cheerfully give several non-essential organs (and perhaps even limbs) to win this series if for nothing else than to watch the Aussies admit they were over-confident and eat humble pie.

One things for sure...Its gonna be one hell of a series... cant find tickets for love or money :(

Nope, neither can I, only ones that will probably be available are for day 5, but you're taking a punt on whether the match will not be finished by then. I've signed up for the Twenty20 match at the Rose Bowl, so if any become available i'll hopefully get some for that! Unlikely, but you never know.

Why is everyone thinking Key should play. It's not as if Butcher is injured is it? Key seems to get consistant low scores.

Butcher was injured in the SA test series, thats why he went home. Hopefully Bell or Pietersen will be in the number 3 spot by the time of the Ashes.

Well this Ashes Series is shaping to be different.

After a long time, England look to be up for the mighty Aussies. Whats better, England have closed in on the Aussies, and have distanced themselves from the rest of the remaining pact. This is gonna one hell of an ashes with the top two teams in the world fighting for what is the biggest prize in the history of cricket.

I would like to compare some of the England and Aussie players, in this form guide thread, to get some sort of an appetizer to the series.

Openers:
Matthew Hayden vs Marcus Trescothick
Two unique and hard-hitting players who on their day can demolish any attack in the world. Trescothick however does not have the best of records against the Aussies.
Advantage - Hayden (Australia)

Andrew Strauss vs Justin Langer
Strauss has been England's most consistent performer with bat along with Graham Thorpe. After scoring a century in debut, Strauss has played some important and match-winning knocks for England, and has been one of the reasons for England's rise.
Justin Langer has been Australia's consistent performer at the top, doing his job, almost perfectly. Its hard to choose between these two, but due to the impact he has made to the game, I would go for Strauss.
Advantage - Strauss (England)

Michael Vaughan vs Ricky Ponting
Both very elegant and classy batsman, but very different in nature. Ricky Ponting is one who spends time at the crease, gets the runs, and often, pulls Australia out of a tough situation. However, he quite frequently goes through rough patches where runs dont come very easily for Tasmanian.
Vaughan on the other hand, is one who likes to play his shots, from the very beginning. If he is not allowed to play, he often edges one to the keeper or to a slip fielder. But once on song, he is very difficult to dismiss. Has played some important innings for England. Has a special liking for Australia.
Advantage - Ricky Ponting (Australia)

Tomorrow I will compare:
Thorpe vs Lehmann/Katich
Jones vs Gilchrist
Clarke vs Flintoff

Users who are viewing this thread