The Book Thread

I don't read many modern books - there are established classics there that have been good enough to remain popular for centuries. Plus it's cheaper to buy older books.

I just love how terrifying it is, the features of the monster aren't described, just a few general points, his build and a description of Frankenstein's fear, coupled with your own imagination can fabricate a monster far more terrifying that anyone could describe.

Although due to popular culture everyone has an idea of what the monster looks like before reading the book, i actively tried to forget that cliche, my monster was a lot more human looking.

Nailed this bit. What some of my friends think of Frankenstein is ridiculous. He has an assistant named Igor, he looks sewn together, gothic churches, etc.

I went in pretty open minded and came out quite a lot of knowledge :p

I've started reading Inverting The Pyramid: A History of Football Tactics by Jonathon Wilson (football writer for the Guardian if you recognise the name). It is the book to read for football tactics, it goes into such depth and explanation from the very beginning to present day - going through cantenaccio to total football etc. It also has brilliant quotes from Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho, Arsene Wenger etc. I've only just started reading it but I highly recommend it for football fans.

Nailed this bit. What some of my friends think of Frankenstein is ridiculous. He has an assistant named Igor, he looks sewn together, gothic churches, etc.

I went in pretty open minded and came out quite a lot of knowledge :p

the thing is the manner in which he is created he could be visibly sewn together; it isn't stated. As I said the vague, yet deeply chilling, description leads people to create their own monsters. Which is far more terrifying.

I've started reading Inverting The Pyramid: A History of Football Tactics by Jonathon Wilson (football writer for the Guardian if you recognise the name). It is the book to read for football tactics, it goes into such depth and explanation from the very beginning to present day - going through cantenaccio to total football etc. It also has brilliant quotes from Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho, Arsene Wenger etc. I've only just started reading it but I highly recommend it for football fans.

I have had this recommended to me by so many people now that it has to be in my next batch.

Just ordered the great gatsby, fear and loathing in las vegas, and apathy and other small victories. for some reason the great gatsby will take ages and they won't arrive until about the 14th of this month. Gives me plenty of time to read my last book though, I suppose.

Great Gatsby is a beautiful book.

Still on Great Expectations myself, thinking of either Tale of Two cities or some Robert L Stevenson novels, maybe Treasure Island again for old times sake :)

I have had this recommended to me by so many people now that it has to be in my next batch.

I've been reading Jonathon Wilson's articles for a while now and he has such a great knowledge of football tactics, one of the few writers in this country who do. Every football forum/blog I visit regards this book as the "holy grail" of football books. The quotes from the managers are really insightful as well.

Ones I actually own are Gulliver's Travels, Jane Eyre, Catcher in the Rye, 1984, Fahrenheit 451, Slaughterhouse 5, Animal Farm, The Wind in the Willows, Five Children and It, Moby Dick, Pastures of the Blue Crane, Pride and Prejudice, A Tale of Two Cities, Frankenstein, The Theban Plays, Kidnapped, Treasure Island, David Copperfield, etc and a bunch of Shakespeare/Blyton. A few of my copies have been published in the last 20 years but the rest are ooooold.

Brilliant man, all of those are fantastic reads, can't even remember the last time I heard of Wind in the Willows!

Mark added 0 Minutes and 21 Seconds later...

any RLS novels are instants wins,

The only books I own are The Lord of the Rings and The Lord of the Flies haha.

Brilliant man, all of those are fantastic reads, can't even remember the last time I heard of Wind in the Willows!
Brilliant book, just gotta love it's outer simplicity.

The only books I own are The Lord of the Rings and The Lord of the Flies haha.
Those are the only 'classics' I own :p

I have those, Lord of the Flies is a strange novel.

Anybody read any Matthew Reily books? There's probably my favourite one's.

Brilliant book, just gotta love it's outer simplicity.

Those are the only 'classics' I own :p

I have those, Lord of the Flies is a strange novel.

Yeah I bought Lord of the Flies for GCSE English Lit. We studied all sorts of allegories and social/historical contexts and stuff and then in the exam, we got the crappest question ever where we couldn't mention any of that stuff. It's a good novel or fable or whatever you want to call it.

Users who are viewing this thread