The Book Thread

Forgot to mention Fahrenheit 451, Catch22 and Huck Finn.

Must reads for anyone

Slaughterhouse 5 is probably in my next batch. Probably another russian classic too (presumably Dostoyevsky) and an English book of some sort, may go for some Douglass Adams

Slaughterhouse 5 is probably in my next batch. Probably another russian classic too (presumably Dostoyevsky) and an English book of some sort, may go for some Douglass Adams

The Gulag Archipel by Aleksander Solzjenitsyn has to be one of the most significant books to come out of the Stalin era in russia. Moving, dramatic and brilliantly written. Have you read that?

No I haven't, I'm an eclectic reader (as everyone should be!) and have only read one of the russian classics; [Crime and Punishment] I enjoyed it enough to want to read more.

Solzhenitsyn---haven't heard that name in a while! Remember reading One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich sometime in HS.

I read Sh*t my dad says on the flight...absolutely amazing. :laugh I was made to look like an absolute fool at times because of laughing so hard!

Just finished reading "Five Points Someone" by Chetan Bhagat. Decent writing no doubt, but I found the theme a bit too sombre, especially the ending which was quite abrupt as well.

Finished reading The Italian Job by Gianluca Vialli and Gabrielle Marcotti. It's another excellent football book (not at all an autobiography) which compares Italian and English football. The tactics section is very interesting and once again there are some great quotes from the likes of Mourinho, Wenger, Fergie, Capello etc.

Now I've got to read four books for AS Lit in September: Death of a Salesman, Antony and Cleopatra, The Kite Runner and The Great Gatsby. I've heard of the latter two and know they're classic novels. The first two are plays I think, which I don't really like reading, but I checked out plots on wikipedia and they sound interesting. Now gotta wait for them to arrive in my library, 1 week for The Great Gatsby and a month for Death of a Salesman.

Never read the Kite Runner but the movie was very powerful. Might have to give that a go.

I need to find a classic I haven't read for an English assignment. Any suggestions?

Brave New World

The Giver

Black Beauty

Treasure Island

Kidnapped

Kill a Mockingbird.............

Go for Brave New World then, if you liked 1984, it will be right up your alley.

Completely different style to all of your lot books, but My ████ Life So Far by Frankie Boyle; I wasn't a fan of his before reading it, but man alive I haven't laughed so hard at a book in a long time.

Never read the Kite Runner but the movie was very powerful. Might have to give that a go.

Fantastic book, plan on reading 'A Thousand Splendid Sons' at some point as well.

Ollie_H added 3 Minutes and 50 Seconds later...

Anyone read Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith, is one of those Russian books set in Stalin's Soviet Union.

Users who are viewing this thread