The Book Thread

I did my A2 english lit coursework on comparing Lord of the Flies and Catcher in the rye. Although I just went off on a self-indulgent, pretentious exploration, quoting Nietzsche and Plato. It was only one mark of getting full marks too, so pretentious nonsense is definitely the way to go when studying literature.

It was so good that my english teacher spent ages trying to convince me to completely change my uni plans and take english, as me doing a science would be "an absolute waste"

I'm quite proud of that essay as it is pretty much the only one I could say that I couldn't do much better. It was still handed in late, but the fact I handed it in at all/was right up there on the word count is an anomaly.

More info please, I love the concept of the Illuminati

The whole book is a real trip and not your run of the mill conspiracy novel. You have to read it with an open mind about the writing style as it can be a real frustrating read for some people. It basically takes the piss out of everything including itself. One of those novels where you'll walk away from it either absolutely loving it or absolutely hating it.

More info please, I love the concept of the Illuminati

What is that bullcrap anyway? Some Asian in my tutorial from last month blabbed on about it but I never listened to most of it. Spent close to half an hour trying to understand the Wikipedia entry for it and I ended up somehow looking up Norwegian death metal bands. From what I can grasp, its a secret society? Sorry for my loose understanding of it :p

Its sort of a conspiracy theory about a group of powerful intellectuals who control world politics and economies from behind the scenes.

That is a very layman explanation

Rightio' - thanks chaps.

Oh, one more thing. Whats the go with it being a Satanic cult (I think)?

Lord of the Flies was a bitch. I never really liked that book but the teacher made me read it. I dont know but I hated it.

Illimunati is a very interesting topic. I have heard about it but am not really sure on what to believe on it. Anyone with some info, please post here.

Anyone else a Charles Dickens fan? I just love the man! Have read everything and anything. His characters are so alive and his humour so brilliantly written. Love it!

the great gatsby has arrived, 6 days before it was expected. Depending on how long I'm in work for tonight I might get started on it today

the great gatsby has arrived, 6 days before it was expected. Depending on how long I'm in work for tonight I might get started on it today

You know, I have never got round to reading that. Might give it a whirl. I have understood it to be an American classic. I haven't read too much American literature. Mostly concentrated on English 19th century authors. The fact that Jude the Obscure is one of my all time favourites tells you a lot about me!:p

You never read To Kill a Mochingbird? Catcher in the Rye? Slaughterhouse 5?

Some great American literature, don't discriminate :p

You never read To Kill a Mockingbird? Catcher in the Rye? Slaughterhouse 5?

Some great American literature, don't discriminate :p

Yep, read To Kill a Mocking Bird and some of the books by Norman Mailer. The Executioners Song and The Gospel According to the Son being my favorites of his. Now Slaughterhouse 5 I think I have read...I need to go and check up on what it is about to be sure.

Users who are viewing this thread