The Book Thread

I just finished reading 1984. Great story, lame ending.

Finished reading The Italian Job by Gianluca Vialli and Gabrielle Marcotti. It's another excellent football book (not at all an autobiography) which compares Italian and English football. The tactics section is very interesting and once again there are some great quotes from the likes of Mourinho, Wenger, Fergie, Capello etc.

Now I've got to read four books for AS Lit in September: Death of a Salesman, Antony and Cleopatra, The Kite Runner and The Great Gatsby. I've heard of the latter two and know they're classic novels. The first two are plays I think, which I don't really like reading, but I checked out plots on wikipedia and they sound interesting. Now gotta wait for them to arrive in my library, 1 week for The Great Gatsby and a month for Death of a Salesman.

I studied that for AS lit. Brilliant play.

It's not really about the plot, though.

Finished Apathy and Other Small Victories in just a few days. Going to re-read it next week. It's just sensational. Absolutely hilarious from start to finish. Not sure if it is suited to everybody though but i'd recommend giving it a try.

Noooooooooooo! The ending is briliant, utterly brilliant! Leaves you pondering life and all that!

it is one of my favourite endings along with "A Tale Of Two Cities" (Not to be confused with "A Sale Of Two Titties!":p)

I just finished reading Scarecrow by Matthew Reilly. I really enjoy his books. I can read over and over again. Fast paced action that's hardly believable and impossible in real life. But who cares. Love them none the less.

Matthew Reilly books are alright, but I don't know if I'm the only one that gets sick of the constant miracle escapes?

Hover Car Racer was sickening. About 8/10 races that he won were by 0.01 of a second, it got almost unreadable after a while.

He's not a bad writer, there's just way too many constant escapes. Needs to kill a few of his main characters off to prove they aren't invincible, I think. I've read all of the Scarecrow books and a few of the Six Sacred Stones series and so on.

Matthew Reilly books are alright, but I don't know if I'm the only one that gets sick of the constant miracle escapes?

Hover Car Racer was sickening. About 8/10 races that he won were by 0.01 of a second, it got almost unreadable after a while.

He's not a bad writer, there's just way too many constant escapes. Needs to kill a few of his main characters off to prove they aren't invincible, I think. I've read all of the Scarecrow books and a few of the Six Sacred Stones series and so on.

Yea I can see how that could potentially wear thin. But I'm a sucker for the one character who is virtually indestructible and always finds a way out of anything. I suppose you have to keep reminding yourself that it's not real life. It's just a fictional story. Anything can happen.

Just read 4 Chetan Bhagat books in the last 2 days. They have good stories and I can't put them down, but at the end of each and every one I was like 'Meh, that was a waste of time'. Kind of like a run of the mill Bollywood flick.

Anyone read A Game of Thrones? Brilliant book. I just finished it yesterday. Definitely the best fantasy stuff I've read. There are 4 books out in the series(A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin) as of now. And, I'd recommend it to any fan of fiction books.

Just about to finish 'Matilda' by Roald Dahl. Till now, it has seemed wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread