Story The Dream

Wow Yorksire really cocked that up. Thought they had it in the bag. Good bowling at the death by your lads.

Nice read mate, makes me feel justified in voting for you in SOTM :)

Wow Yorksire really cocked that up. Thought they had it in the bag. Good bowling at the death by your lads.

Nice read mate, makes me feel justified in voting for you in SOTM :)

Cheers for the comment as per normal, Tom. Suprised to see your vote to be honest, although very pleased. You've been the person to make me keep going with this story. So I'll blame you when my life is in complete ruins. ;)

Nah cheers mate. Hoping for regular updates once again.

Be warned you'll end up like me. Last story was 88 pages and I grew a second head.

MWAHAHAHA. You see, I'm insane

;)

Be warned you'll end up like me. Last story was 88 pages and I grew a second head.

MWAHAHAHA. You see, I'm insane

;)

You grew a second head? I know you lot start puberty late in Scotland but you're supposed to be born with a second head!

Yeah, moving swiftly away from that... ;)

Wow a tie. Yorkshire should have been awarded the win as they lost less wickets than Derby. But the game was very even and both deserved to win. Feel like tie the best result.

Derby need to bowl well in the depth overs. Lehmann played brilliant and it turned out to be the match winnings innings for Yorkshire.

Good update Jaz :clap

Nice update Jaz, bad time to come into a thread when discussing about growing second heads :p

29 April 2006 - Derbyshire v Sri Lanka - First Day

After a great start to the season, with one win over Surrey and a tie with Yorkshire, our spirits are high and we are looking good. The team has been performing quite well but we are doing well mainly due to a few good innings. We need the entire team to play well. The weather is looking as good as it has done all season, with mainly sun with a little bit of overcast. Day 2 will see some lovely sun as will the end of Day 3. With it favouring spin bowlers, I can't see us doing too well.

With the talent that Sri Lanka has for batting, I had to go with 5 bowlers. None of the bowlers have really impressed in the Second Team yet so there is no-one to come in and replace some of the bowlers. Jones will no doubt
be the first out when someone gets into form. Rowntree nearly got into the team but I just don't think he's ready yet.

Stubbings came out to rest for the match, which would mean the Australians would be opening the innings. Benjamin France came in to replace him, and even France hasn't been that great in the second team. With all the other batsmen doing decently in the first First Class game, I decided to keep the team and to just see how we did.

Welch won the toss and decided that he would bowl first. Nice to see him taking my advice and deciding to bowl first against the Sri Lankan's on this pitch. Kumar Sangakkara and Upul Tharanga walked out to the crease with barely any pressure at all. Jayawardene, Samaraweera, Dilshan, Vandort and Mubarak make up the rest of their batting attack. Every single one of those would fit into our top 4. That's just how hard it is going to be.

Our bowlers started the match very well, keeping their run rate down. Then an unexpected wicket came. Kumar Sangakkara went for 6 runs off 32 balls to Dean. He played all around a straight bowl, which wasn't even that good of a bowl. 13/1, Can we keep this up?

K Sangakkara - b Dean - 6(32)

Next over and Jayawardene nearly went out for a 2 ball duck. He nearly made contact to a bowl from Jones but pulled out at the last minute. Our first bowling change came after 14 overs, both bowlers have 7 overs each. Lungley came in for Dean whilst Botha came in for Jones. Sri Lanka started to score some runs quite quickly until a lbw appeal saw them slow down a little. The batsmen then took it to the bowlers, Tharanga bring up his 50 and the teams 100 in the process. In came Welch and Dean to try and get a wicket before Lunch. Jayawardene brought up his 50 up just before Lunch as Sri Lanka dominate completely.

Day One Lunch Interval - Sri Lanka 129/1
Jayawardene 64*
Tharanga 56*
Dean 1-27

An incredible change went begging just after lunch. Jayawardene edged one of Dean but Di Venuto couldn't keep it in his hands, and dropped him for 66. This didn't end up being a really expensive mis-chance as we got him out overs later for 77. Dean the man with the wicket again, but with one great batsmen out another is in. This isn't going well, 158/2.

Jayawardene - lbw Dean - 77(118)

Thankfully, Samaraweera didn't last long. With Tharanga chasing down his century, things weren't going easy at the other end. A mere 7 runs was all Samaraweera could muster as he edged one straight through to the keeper. Lungley, who has been very expensive as far, finally proved his worth. Dilshan in, he's better than Samaraweera in my eyes. 188/3, still the 200 is not up.

T Samaraweera - c Pipe b Lungley - 7(24)

Tharanga's 100 then came up as he continue his fantastic form in England. He scored 149 and 21* against Cambridge in their last friendly. We nearly got him on 104* though but Adnan couldn't hold on to the chance and this time, it seems it may be expensive. We get chance after chance, but it just isn't happening for us. Dilshan soon brings up his 50 as Sri Lanka race to just under 300. This is depressing.

Day One Dinner Interval - Sri Lanka 288/3
Tharanga 136*
Dilshan 55*
Dean 2-71
Lungley 1-71

Second over after lunch and we got our wicket. After Jones got smashed for many runs in the first over after lunch, Dean got Tharanga. He had already brought up his 150 though, whilst bringing up their 300. Dean again the man to get the wicket, he's the only one who can bowl like a bowler at the moment! Vandort is now in, a few quick wickets and we are still in it with a slight slight chance. 305/4.

U Tharanga - b Dean - 152(218)

15 runs later, and Dilshan goes for 66. He had a good impact on the game for Sri Lanka. We are fighting back now and if we can keep them under 400 then we would of done brilliantly. Dean gets his fourth wicket of the day, as he continues to be our main bowler. We will definitely need to improve this area of our game next season.

T Dilshan - b Dean - 66(100)

2 wickets in 2 bowls! Dean brings up his 5fer with the wicket of Mubarak. A golden duck from Jehan Mubarak brings delight to our faces as Sri Lanka seem stranded on 320/6. Chaminda Vaas will be facing the hat-trick ball. Another lbw from Dean, with Mubarak just not having a chance. Still, he's expected to do much more than that.

J Mubarak - lbw Dean - 0(1)

Vaas defends the hat trick ball and nearly edges the last ball of the over but manages to pull out just in time. Vandort has to carry Sri Lanka now to over 400, otherwise it's a disappointing innings for them. Sri Lanka nearly bring up the 350 mark but after a 24 run partnership, Vaas gets bowled. Lungley the man to pick up his second wicket of the match. 12 runs is all Vaas could get as the bowling talent as Lungley overcame him. 344/7.

C Vaas - b Lungley - 12(13)

We take the new ball a few overs later which nearly strikes straight away. Vandort playing a missing a wide one from Lungley. Lungley's next over and this time Vandort is out. Birt the man to hold onto the catch as Vandort's innings comes to an end for 27. A decent knock from the lower order man as Lungley picks up his 3rd wicket. 357/8 and restricting them under 400 looks likely now.

M Vandort - c Birt b Lungley - 27(53)

With no more runs added to the score, another wicket falls. Dean's spell comes to an end, with Welch coming in and getting a wicket in Dean's place. Kulasekera the man to get out this time, after only making 1 run from 19 balls. Murali the last man in, with us needing only one wicket. Who'll be the one to get it?

N Kulasekera - b Welch - 1(19)

Welch then tried a strange tactic which took everyone by surprise; he brought in a tired Dean at the other end. You've got to give it to him though, it worked. Dean got the wicket with Bandara going for a 8 ball duck. 358 the score West Indies got in the end, but at one stage they were 305/3 so that will be seen as a massive collapse. Dean ended up with 6 wickets whilst Lungley got 3. The two bowlers have kept us in the match, even if they have just a little.

M Bandara - b Dean - 0(8)

Change of innings - Sri Lanka 358
Tharanga 152
Jayawardene 77
Dean 6-92
Lungley 3-72

Di Venuto and Birt walk out to the middle with just under 30 minutes to be played. I can see Sri Lanka getting a few wickets in that time but hopefully the openers can last the time. Thankfully, they did. They ended up getting a run a minute as we ended up on 26. The main thing is though that we didn't lose a wicket and will go into tomorrow's day play with all 10 wickets in tact.

End of Day One - Derbyshire 26/0(trail by 332 runs)
Di Venuto 18*
Birt 8*

Dean and Lungley have kept us in the game so far. As long as we can bat averagely, then we can make them bat again. The draw is definitely on the cards if we can get some batsmen to make some runs. We can still win but that's unlikely and to be honest, I don't really care about friendlies. As long as we give our all tomorrow at the crease I'll be happy. Teams seem to be having one of their top order batsmen ordered to score big against us at the moment. Here's hoping one of ours can do the same.

Well complete domination by the Lankans. 358 in a day is great and great batting by Tharanga and Jayawardena. Tough day 2 coming up for Derbyshire. need to play whole day two or get quick runs. Can see this match being a draw.

Great update Jaz :)

That was complete domination by Sri Lankan... Well batted by Tharanga and Jayawardane... Derbyshire has to bat well... Good writing and Presentation mate... KUTGW...

Not bad, not bad. I am just waiting for the first signs of failure, because after that everything will go down hill. Come on Sri Lanka, destroy those Sheep lovers! :p

Derbyshire v Sri Lanka - Second Day

A decent bowling effort at the end of the Sri Lankan's innings had given us a glimmer of hope on the first day. Tharanga and co notched up a very good total of 358, but it could of been so much more. Could of been, but it wasn't. We then had to boat out the last 30 minutes of the day to leave us 332 runs behind with 10 wickets in hand. The draw is still on

Di Venuto had batted better out of the openers on Day One but he was the first man to go. Kulasekara came in to bowl the first over of the day and with his second ball, he got a wicket. Di Venuto went for 18 runs off 33 balls. A decent start to out innings but we could of done with him making a few more runs and staying in a little longer.

M Di Venuto - c Vandort b Kulasekara - 18(33)

Hasan Adnan came to the crease to be Birt's new partner. The partnership started well but as we got to the 50 run mark, they started missing some balls. The pressure payed off eventually as Adnan got out to Samaraweera for 16 runs. Adnan needed to make big and needed to stay in till near the end of the session at least. 50/2.

H Adnan - c Sangakkara b Samaraweera - 16(34)

3 runs later, and we were 3 men down. Travis Birt was the next to go as Samaraweera kept us his momentum and continued to bowl very well. Travis made a mere 16 as all the batsmen seem to be failing. Taylor and France in now, then soon after we will have no chance. 53/3.

T Birt - lbw Samaraweera - 16(61)

An unexpected partnership started to develop between France and Taylor with Murali now out of the attack and Samaraweera soon to follow. The thing is, Samaraweera went out of the attack and in came Murali. Great... A good partnership though came to a sudden end as Sri Lanka's spinners got another wicket. Bandara the man to get a wicket this time as France misses the ball completely and gets bowled for 26. 93/4.

B France - b Bandara - 26(70)

Welch and Taylor would now have to bat together, and bat together well, to try and get us back into the game. With only 3 minutes till the long awaited Lunch break, Bandara got his second wicket of the day. Bandara bowled a lovely doosra which Welch couldn't detect, resulting in him getting bowled. 119/5, the scores getting better but not really good enough. Taylor is carrying us.

G Welch - b Bandara - 7(12)

Pipe was now in and hit a lovely leg side shot for four runs on the last ball before Lunch. It was a poor start to the innings but we had picked it up a little now and were looking like we would make 150-200. As long as we don't have to follow on, I'll be happy. I'll be delighted with a draw at this rate.

Day Two Lunch Interval - Derbyshire 124/5(trail by 234 runs)
Taylor 34*
Pipe 4*
Bandara 2-16
Samaraweera 2-36

Back out after lunch and it was back to the spin attack of Sri Lanka. I can't wait till we get to the new ball. If we get to the new ball. Muralitharan then picked up his first wicket of the innings, which no-one saw coming. Taylor mis-hit a shot straight into the hands of Tharanga and looked absolutely devastated. His score has definitely helped us but we're now into the bowlers... Following on is looking very likely now. 140/6.

C Taylor - c Tharanga b Muralitharan - 39(88)

Botha was the first bowler in to bat and with his first ball he hit a four of Muralitharan. Take it easy! The 150 came up in the following overs as Pipe started to find his feet in the match. It just so happened he would get out the over after I wrote that... Samaraweera came in to pick up his 3rd wicket of the innings as Pipe literally gave his wicket away, trapped in front of middle stump. 48 runs to avoid the follow-on with 3 wickets in hand. It's not looking good.

D Pipe - lbw Samaraweera - 28(40)

The bowlers had saved us in other matches with their batting but it didn't seem to be happening this time. Jones came and soon went after only staying out for 9 minutes. 5 runs is all he could muster before getting caught off Samaraweera's bowling. Lungley, Botha and Dean now needed to make 41 runs between them. Yeah. That's gonna happen...

P Jones - c Jayawardene b Samaraweera - 5(8)

1 run later, and Botha was now back in the pavilion. Bandara had come back into the attack in replace of Samaraweera. Andre edged a straight one from Bandara through to Sangakkara and Kumar doesn't really drop many catches! 168/9 the score now, we need a 40 run last wicket partnership to avoid the follow on.

A Botha - c Sangakkara b Bandara - 8(29)

Instead of making 40, they only made 11. Lungley the last person of the innings to get out. A quick 5 runs off 15 balls hasn't really helped us but not that much could be expected of the tail. Bandara and Samaraweera both got 4 wickets each and annihilated us. only a few batsmen showed any real talent. They have decided to make us follow on, which means we are really going to have to bat well now.

T Lungley - c Vandort b Bandara - 5(15)

Change of innings - Derbyshire 179(trail by 179)
Taylor 39
Pipe 28
Bandara 4-33
Samaraweera 4-51

The Australian openers once again walked out to the crease. Di Venuto had started well last time before getting out in the mid teens. Hopefully he can start well and then carry on going. Di Venuto and Birt were hitting quite a few runs now and somehow lasted a whole hour without the Sri Lankan pace attack getting any real chances. They held on till dinner, with the score on 43/0. A great start by the Aussies which we will need to continue.

Day Two Dinner Interval - Derbyshire 43/0(trail by 136)
Birt 21*
Di Venuto 20*

Just after, and with the score on 50/0, the spinners came in. Samaraweera and Muralitharan came in to replace Vaas and Kulasekara. Di Venuto couldn't cope with the spin though as in Samaraweera's second over, Di Venuto got out. Vandort caught the ball from which Di Venuto edged but it was a decent start. 50 run opening partnership.

M Di Venuto - c Vandort b Samaraweera - 21(43)

Adnan was now in and I was hoping he could improve on his first innings score. He didn't though. In fact, he did worse. Only managing 12 runs this time, Adnan had let us down. Bandara was the man to get him out but it didn't take an incredible ball, just a simple one.

H Adnan - b Bandara - 12(46)

France was now in and for some reason runs became hard to get. Birt however carried on going and brought up his 50, and the team's 100, after 147 balls. A delightful innings so far. It ended just before lunch though after a 46 run partnership. Travis got a very good score of 63 off 164 balls before being removed by Samaraweera. Thanks to Birt's innings we were now only 60 runs behind with 7 wickets in hand. The disappointing thing? It was the last ball of the day.

T Birt - b Samaraweera - 63(164)

End of Day Two - Derbyshire 119/3(trail by 60 runs)
France 18*
Taylor 0*
Samaraweera 2-27
Bandara 1-22

After a disastrous start to the day, it progressively got better. We batted very poorly in the first innings bar a few players, but on a whole it was woeful. The second innings so far however has seen us go over the 100 mark without losing too many wickets. I don't think we will give Sri Lanka a run for their money but I think we can give it our best. If we can get 2 more good partnerships(50+) and a few little knocks, then maybe we can pick up the draw. Maybe, just maybe.

Your guys are gonna have a hard day tomorrow. Will be surprised if you can salvage a draw now.

Gotta say, this is one of my favourite story's at the moment, your writing is well sound, keep this up :)

Oh my God!!! Sri Lanka showing their real quality now. Derbyshire gonna have a tough day surely. Hope you all can stay at the wicket and connect bat to ball atleast.

Good update Jaz:clap

Sri Lanka to win this easily. It's not surprising though, one of the worst County teams playing one of the best international teams. A complete mismatch!

Good work James :)

Derbyshire v Sri Lanka - Third Day

After a poor effort at the start of yesterdays play, we had taken a back seat. We ended up getting all out cheaply in our first innings and only started to look like we could make them bat again in our second innings. A wicket as last ball of yesterday's play saw them get the wicket of Birt, which made a few of us disappointed that he couldn't last to today. No worries though, it is one of the best Test nations so we should be happy no matter how well we do.

10 runs into the day and the spinners had already got a victim. Muralitharan the man to get the wicket as France hits a shot too weak for Jayawardene to take an easy catch. 24 isn't a bad score but with the top order doing averagely, there was a little bit more pressure than there should of been for him. 50 runs behind with 6 wickets in hand.

B France - c Jayawardene b Muralitharan - 24(62)

With overs passing, it seemed like we were starting to tame the spin bowlers. The bowlers were getting few chances, but weren't making them count. With the spin bowlers not necessarily working, they brought in Kulasekara. In his first over he had two played and misses and one lbw appeal. Luck seems to be on our side. He only had two overs though and it was soon back to the spin bowlers. The 50 run milestone in the partnership came up as we took the lead. We then brought up the 200. We've done what we couldn't in the first innings. Then with only 8 minutes left in the session, they got a wicket. Taylor was the batsman unfortunate enough to get out, as Bandara span it the opposite way he thought he was going to, resulting in him getting caught. A nice score of 34 has helped us greatly, especially the 75 run partnership.

C Taylor - c Kulasekara b Bandara - 34(115)

The last over before lunch was a great one. 9 runs were scored in it but that isn't the reason for it being great. Graeme Welch hit a boundary to bring up his 50. A much needed 50 in our innings and this could maybe see us bat most of next session and possibly try and get a draw. He's batted brilliantly so far, lets just hope he keeps it up.

Day Three Lunch Interval - Derbyshire 218/5(lead by 39 runs)
Welch 50*
Pipe 4*
Samaraweera 2-54
Bandara 2-65

One over after the Lunch interval and they had taken the new ball. That would mean Kulasekara and Vaas would be back in. This resulted in the one wicket they wanted the most, Graeme Welch. A wicket maiden with the first over of the new ball came for Sri Lanka as Welch gifted Vandort an easy catch. 221/6 but we desperately need to bat most of this session.

G Welch - c Vandort b Kulasekara - 51(111)

Botha was now in as we were into our tail. We soon brought up the 50 run lead though into Botha and Pipe's partnership, which was a little nice to see. Just after though, Botha got out. We were now in free fall as Botha had been caught by Vandort of Vaas for 2 runs. Vandort seems to be the luckiest fielder out there today!

A Botha - c Vandort b Vaas - 2(5)

Jones was in and had a nasty bouncer from Vaas. Thankfully he didn't get injured, but he did get out next ball. I'd rather him getting out than getting injured and retiring. We need him for the season. They now needed 2 wickets to get us all out and end our innings. There was still a lot of time left for them to do this. Not looking good.

P Jones - c Jayawardene b Vaas - 2(9)

Lungley came in and got a 3 ball duck. Vaas is just too good for us with the new ball. He walked back to the pavilion thanks to a sensational straight delivery from Vaas, which Lungley had no chance of connecting with. 234/9 with a 55 run lead. It's definitely not enough.

T Lungley - b Vaas - 0(3)

Unexpectedly, the 250 soon came up. That ended up being our final total though. Dean got trapped lbw in front of leg stump which meant he would have to return to the pavilion after his little cameo. A good score of 12 runs which wasn't expected from him. It doesn't change the game's direction though, they only need 71 runs to win.

K Dean - lbw Vaas - 12(18)

Change of innings - Derbyshire 250(lead by 71 runs)
Birt 63
Welch 51
Vaas 4-22
Samaraweera 2-57

Sangakkara and Tharanga made their way out to win the game for Sri Lanka. With only a few chances, they quickly chased down the 71 runs, requiring one run to win, which Sangakkara got. A great square cut for four runs resulted in Sri Lanka being victorious by 10 wickets. Sangakkara even got his 50 off 64 balls as we were just not good enough for the Test Nation.

Sri Lanka - 358
Tharanga 152
Jayawardene 77
Dean 6-92
Lungley 3-72

Derbyshire - 179
Taylor 39
Pipe 28
Bandara 4-33
Samaraweera 4-51

Derbyshire - 250
Birt 63
Welch 51
Vaas 4-22
Samaraweera 2-57

Sri Lanka - 75/0
Sangakkara 50*
Tharanga 24*

Sri Lanka win by 10 wickets
Man Of The Match: Upul Tharanga

A ten wicket win for Sri Lanka in the end then. Birt, Welch and Taylor all had some good efforts with the bat, but with their spin/seam bowling attack it was just too hard. Their batting lineup was also incredible compared to ours. Then again, they are a Test Nation and a very good one at that. I'm happy we made it last till the last day. I'm sure if we ever play them again, that we can do much better. Until then, back to normal league games and domination.

Users who are viewing this thread