The End Of Australian Dominance?

Is it offically over now? As of 30th December 2008?

• Total voters
I would think Symonds would be around for a few more years, I can see him retiring around the same stage as Ponting if his form holds up.

TEST MATCHES: Australia will probably have more problems going overseas. I think India and SL are gonna be troublesome at their own home grounds. SA/NZ/WI won't pose too much threat just yet but i do think England have the line-up to annoy and possibly beat at their own home. There is a lot of potential especially in the batting arena. Australia at home won't have too many problems with probably India and England posing the biggest threat. I'm not sure about SA cricket actually. From what i've seen their batting might struggle and their bowling is too inexperienced at this stage. But its likely they'll improve a great deal.

ODI: SA are the biggest threats at this stage. NZ/SL can pose problems and Australia may have a few issues against them especially overseas. England and India aren't likely to do well but they have their moments in this format. This is looking at 2 years from now. Who knows what might happen. Bangladesh will mature in 5-6 years and became far more consistent. You never know.

LONG-STORY SHORT: they won't be as dominant but they'll be number 1 in tests for at least another 2-3 years. In ODIs its a different story. Bangladesh beat SA and India after all in the world cup.

Yeah. D Husseys only 30 but the problem is how can anyone look past Noffke? 3rd highest Pura cup runscorer and 2nd highest wicket taker.
Why do like, all Australian cricketers debut after 30? Well alot of them anyways.
Its a very "old" looking team on paper.

By then most players know their game inside out. Look at the current England team, you've got the likes of Cook, Bell, Bopara and to some extent Pietersen still learning about what their strengths and weaknesses are. Compare them to someone like Mike Hussey, he knows his strengths, he knows his weaknesses and works around them. It's no surprise that Michael Clarke is the most incosistant in the Australian team. He's still learning.

Even the bowlers. Look at Stuart Clark, he knows his game, stick it on a length and wobble it around. Then look at Stuart Broad, young and inconsistant.

Last edited:
Why do like, all Australian cricketers debut after 30? Well alot of them anyways.
Its a very "old" looking team on paper.

Because they are matured and most can play to 36. Thats about 5 years of cricket when there at the top of the game. No use starting Test cricket at 24 and getting a 0,6,16,0,8 and then being labelled as someone who cant play cricket at the top level and never play again.

Australia might dip in performance when the likes of Gilchrist, Ponting, Hayden and co retire, but I still think they will remain the dominant side unless other countries step up to the plate.

Some people really under estimate our youth and domestic system. Hence why some Aussie players debut when their 30, their ready and at their prime in their career to handle international cricket unlike just simply throwing a inexperienced 24 year old into the team.

Australia might dip in performance when the likes of Gilchrist, Ponting, Hayden and co retire, but I still think they will remain the dominant side unless other countries step up to the plate.

Some people really under estimate our youth and domestic system. Hence why some Aussie players debut when their 30, their ready and at their prime in their career to handle international cricket unlike just simply throwing a inexperienced 24 year old into the team.

England had same approach when guys in 30s were making debuts and because of that there cricket has suffered. I you want guys to make debut in 30s then you will not have players like the ones you mentioned above as noone of them made debut after 24.

P.S. Not every one is Mike Hussey.

Hahah. England have never had that tactic. We're usually a doesn't matter how old they are, throw them to the Lions anyway kind of selection. We pick a lot of kids in their teens and early twenties.

Hahah. England have never had that tactic. We're usually a doesn't matter how old they are, throw them to the Lions anyway kind of selection. We pick a lot of kids in their teens and early twenties.

Im talking of national selection not county cricket. Its only recently they have started picking youngsters.

No. No its not. We always jump the gun and throw kids into test matches. We have a long record of doing it.

No. No its not. We always jump the gun and throw kids into test matches. We have a long record of doing it.

Who was the last kid? Apart from Jimmy Anderson and Stuart Broad I cant think of any.

I think the Australian system cannot be adopted in the sub-continent.

here there are so many fantastic domestic cricketers, but because of the difference in standards between Test and First class level, most of these experienced domestic pros find it tough going at the highest level.

The best chance that people in the subcontinent have of making it big is before they reach 25 years of age. After that it will always be a huge struggle against the youth and talent...

We always rely on outstanding talented youngsters and then throw them early into Test cricket and our best successes have been those guys.

Exceptions like Robin Singh are rare who make it big after they reach 30.

I'm sure the Aussies are getting bored with being No 1.. little changes may help the game only.. erm.. :p

I'm not getting bored. I'll never get bored. I'll soak it up while it lasts. Unlike the anti-Australian fans who don't like the Aussie team just because we're too good.

Users who are viewing this thread