The End Of Australian Dominance?

Is it offically over now? As of 30th December 2008?

• Total voters
As others have said 1 loss (first since Trent Bridge in 2005!) doesn't make them in decline.

However, I do feel that the times will change, you can't replace McGrath and Warne, simple as. I think they will be weaker, they will lose more, but they will still be the best team.

As others have said 1 loss (first since Trent Bridge in 2005!) doesn't make them in decline.

However, I do feel that the times will change, you can't replace McGrath and Warne, simple as. I think they will be weaker, they will lose more, but they will still be the best team.

Stuart Clark is the replacement for Pigeon, and I'll be the replacement for Warney. ;)

No it is not the end of an Australian dominance. Just because we lose 1 match after 17 straight wins it does not mean that we will not be dominant anymore. Thats a stupid thing to say.

And Australia would have won the match if it wasnt for terrible selections. They chose Chris Rogers who has barely played, has not been in form, and was never ever going to be a good test player. They should have chosen Simon Katich, who has been in excellent form scoring at a Bradmanesque average this season, or David Hussey who has been in great form, also scoring 2 centuries against Pakistan or India A(not 100% sure what team).

They also chose Tait who has been injured, and apart from a 7/29 hasnt done anything at FC level this season, instead of Noffke who has been carrying QLD bowling all season, took wickets against Sri Lanka, and has also scored 604 runs @ 55, which would have helped in the first innings when we lost all those wickets, and in the 2nd when we were chasing.

McGrath can be replaced and Stuart Clark is almost near McGrath in line and length. But Warnie will never be replaced . He is once in century kind of cricketer.

I think the experience of the openers showed in this last test as both were removed cheaply. It may be a warning for the future that these new players may be good, but in certain high pressure situations, they might not play as well as more established players like Ponting, Hayden, Hussey etc.

Hence we need to start breeding in some players. Jaques if he can cement his opening spot will be able to carry on Hayden good deeds. Opener wise, Rogers has shown he can be consistent will that continue remains to be seen. If not we do have other talents who have already performed against International attacks. We just have to bring them in sooner rather than later.

No it is not the end of an Australian dominance. Just because we lose 1 match after 17 straight wins it does not mean that we will not be dominant anymore. Thats a stupid thing to say.

And Australia would have won the match if it wasnt for terrible selections. They chose Chris Rogers who has barely played, has not been in form, and was never ever going to be a good test player. They should have chosen Simon Katich, who has been in excellent form scoring at a Bradmanesque average this season, or David Hussey who has been in great form, also scoring 2 centuries against Pakistan or India A(not 100% sure what team).

They also chose Tait who has been injured, and apart from a 7/29 hasnt done anything at FC level this season, instead of Noffke who has been carrying QLD bowling all season, took wickets against Sri Lanka, and has also scored 604 runs @ 55, which would have helped in the first innings when we lost all those wickets, and in the 2nd when we were chasing.

16 to be right. :)

I think australia are getting too used to winning.

Even though i am an australian supporter i hate to see this but see a flow of losses for australia soon in my opinion

We have got growing youngsters but most of our players are old.

You look at india they got so many great talent and they are only young

for example Ishant Sharma 19 years old and already troubles Australian Batsmen like Ricky Ponting.

Australia have Shaun Tait, Mitchell Johnson, Michael Clarke thats bout it thats already in the side

I think in test matches, you need more experienced players.

This topic was made well before the series started, for all the posters who haven't read the thread and think this is some sort of reaction to their loss.

As for the rest of the series, I don't know about you, but I've seen more top-order Aussie collapses in this series than I am usually witness to.

In my honest opinion, Hayden and Ponting are the only REALLY good batsmen the Aussies have now. The others are good, but you get the feeling that they'd get out anytime. From what I've seen recently, Hayden > Ponting too.

I suppose. I still get the feeling that he's going through a purple patch - a really long one :p. Ponting has done nothing this series so far. Hayden though, looks like no bowler's gonna get him out.

In my honest opinion, Hayden and Ponting are the only REALLY good batsmen the Aussies have now. The others are good, but you get the feeling that they'd get out anytime. From what I've seen recently, Hayden > Ponting too.

It's been the case for a while now, Langer at his peak was up there but in the past few years he too slipped.
And yea Hayden >> Ponting, Ponting has really been found out against the Indians from spin now to pace.

Pitiable article from the Telegraph that found its way into my Foxsports RSS.

The end of dominance, it hails. Phil Jaques is not Justin Langer it declares. While this is obvious, there is no doubt Jaques has been more successful than Langer was by age 28.

"Get used to the occasional bronze and silver medal". As far as I know, Test cricket doesn't deal in bronze, but the author makes it sound as though Australia never lost anything in the last 10 years. Where was he in 2005? What about last year's tri-series? What about the four editions of the Champions Trophy of which Australia failed to even make the final. Let us not forget that 2004's Indian tour win was the first in almost 40 years. Let's also not forget the number of times New Zealand has given Australia a blatant shirtfront and above all else, let's not forget that there was a day when even Glenn McGrath couldn't dominate Bangladesh.

Clearly, actually winning and losing are not as important as perceptions to the media.

The annoying thing is that the Telegraph logo was at the bottom, if it was at the top I probably wouldn't have read any of it.

Australia still has alot of young talent and their dominace sertainly isn't near its end ( unfortanutly )

Users who are viewing this thread