The End Of Australian Dominance?

Is it offically over now? As of 30th December 2008?

• Total voters
phil jacques and mitchell johnson are both quality players who with time and experience will show the consistency that we usually associate the australians with.

And I dont know what you mean by their batting lineup being exposed as well. By the time Hayden goes, Jacques would have settled into the side. The rest of the batting is as strong as ever. (Clarke, Hussey, Symonds, Punter and Gilchrist)

well ,i am not at all impressed by johnson or jaques,johnson is a good odi bowler but in tests batsman will leave him all day,jaques is struggling against
a indian attack which is missing 3 frontline fast bowlers

they depend heavely on hayden and ponting and after a few years they will really struggle to be no 1 with out a quality spinner

Though Australia are still the best team in the world by quite a bit and a little more, you still have to agree that they can throw up a better attack than one based around just Lee and Clark. You need two more good bowlers. Hogg looked comfortable in the transition but I have to say that Johnson and Tait didn't look the part.

With MacGill in the Aussies may actually consider playing two spinners. Hogg troubled the Indians in Australia which means he will be more than a handful in most places. MacGill is world class and would make it to any team's first string bar India.

It may be just selection problems that halts Australia's progress?

Though Australia are still the best team in the world by quite a bit and a little more, you still have to agree that they can throw up a better attack than one based around just Lee and Clark. You need two more good bowlers. Hogg looked comfortable in the transition but I have to say that Johnson and Tait didn't look the part.

With MacGill in the Aussies may actually consider playing two spinners. Hogg troubled the Indians in Australia which means he will be more than a handful in most places. MacGill is world class and would make it to any team's first string bar India.

It may be just selection problems that halts Australia's progress?
Yes, you right Sohum. Just take Johnson out and bring another of our awesome Domestic bowlers and our attack will be better - we need a decent 3rd seamer. Lee and Clark are awesome - but no one to back them up. When we have a fit MacGill that will help also.

Yes, you right Sohum. Just take Johnson out and bring another of our awesome Domestic bowlers and our attack will be better - we need a decent 3rd seamer. Lee and Clark are awesome - but no one to back them up. When we have a fit MacGill that will help also.
You know, I really wonder what the world of cricket would be if the selection process would be perfect. One would be inclined to believe that it would progress on a population basis, but one could not ignore the fact that Australian sport culture is far more dominant than any other country's (bar the US perhaps) in the world.

Hogg can dominate any batting attack barring India. Jhonson and Tait are not yet ready for test match cricket I think.

Bret Lee was helped from the fact that he had McGrath, Warne and Dizzy in side so he was always bowling when batting sides were under gun. Unfortunately Tait does not have that buffer so he needs more international outings before he can mature to a good test bowler.

Jhonson does not have variety in his bowling to trouble sides in Test matches. Its alright in ODI but in test you need more skill. I think Bracken is more useful than Jhonson with his swing bowling.

Phil Jaques is more comfortable playing horizontal bat shots and he will find it difficult once he moves out of Australia to places like subcontinent and England where ball does not bounces that much. Simon Katich had ideal technique. Dont know where he is? Maybe some other openor?

Hussey is an ideal number 4 for Australia as he has very good sense of leaving good balls which is important in test cricket. Clarke still has not found the right tempo to play test match cricket. Although he is smashing player and future of Australian batting.

Hogg can dominate any batting attack barring India. Jhonson and Tait are not yet ready for test match cricket I think.

Bret Lee was helped from the fact that he had McGrath, Warne and Dizzy in side so he was always bowling when batting sides were under gun. Unfortunately Tait does not have that buffer so he needs more international outings before he can mature to a good test bowler.

Jhonson does not have variety in his bowling to trouble sides in Test matches. Its alright in ODI but in test you need more skill. I think Bracken is more useful than Jhonson with his swing bowling.

Phil Jaques is more comfortable playing horizontal bat shots and he will find it difficult once he moves out of Australia to places like subcontinent and England where ball does not bounces that much. Simon Katich had ideal technique. Dont know where he is? Maybe some other openor?

Hussey is an ideal number 4 for Australia as he has very good sense of leaving good balls which is important in test cricket. Clarke still has not found the right tempo to play test match cricket. Although he is smashing player and future of Australian batting.
Are you saying that Lee isn't completely dominating at the moment and is only good because of his partners?

As for Clarke, he has proved he's a good batsman in test cricket, but this series he's been disappointing.

Who are going to tour the Australians in November 08-Mrach 09.
I think it will be South Africa and Pakistan because from what I can remember, Pakistan last played in Australia in 2003-04 or 2004-05.
South Africa and New Zealand

Last edited:
Are you saying that Lee isn't completely dominating at the moment and is only good because of his partners?

As for Clarke, he has proved he's a good batsman in test cricket, but this series he's been disappointing.

Just South Africa.

A couple of starts and 2 70s isn't good enough?

Im saying that Lee was helped in his early years with the awesome bowling line up the Australia had. They had McGrath, Dizzy and Warnie to put pressure on batsmen and Lee could bowl fast. He would have learnt a lot about bowling from the two fast bowlers and now that he has to lead an attack he is doing it well.

Tait on the other hand does not have the luxury of bowling with McGrath, Dizzy or Warnie. No wonder Clark is good but he is no McGrath.

Im saying that Lee was helped in his early years with the awesome bowling line up the Australia had. They had McGrath, Dizzy and Warnie to put pressure on batsmen and Lee could bowl fast. He would have learnt a lot about bowling from the two fast bowlers and now that he has to lead an attack he is doing it well.

Tait on the other hand does not have the luxury of bowling with McGrath, Dizzy or Warnie. No wonder Clark is good but he is no McGrath.
Everyone has mentors and coaches. I'm not sure how Tait is bad because he hasn't played with better bowlers. He's inexperienced. Lee hadn't played much with McGrath, Warne and Gillespie when he was playing his 4th test either.

Everyone has mentors and coaches. I'm not sure how Tait is bad because he hasn't played with better bowlers. He's inexperienced. Lee hadn't played much with McGrath, Warne and Gillespie when he was playing his 4th test either.

He was not setting world on fire either. He made his debut against Indian team which could have been skittled by any Australian bolwer at that time. He did not had much success in years to follow and its only since 2-3 years that he has been consistent and bowling well.

If you dont think bowling behind those greats makes it easy for you then be it. Tait would have been more effective if the bowling from other end was not what it has been.

Tait needs more matches, he was 4th quick in his latest match and it's only his 4 test match (I think) not to mention hes only played a few FC games since returning from injury. Give him 2 series to get settled and he should be more comfortable. If not just another one of those talents that couldn't make the jump.

Form wise Johnson and Tait aren't our best domestic bowlers. Noffke is clearly the most in form bowler, Bollinger and Innes have stepped up this season. All 3 performing better than Hilfy atm as well. Our best spinner happens to be a 35 year old from Victoria also out performing Hogg.

Tait needs more matches, he was 4th quick in his latest match and it's only his 4 test match (I think) not to mention hes only played a few FC games since returning from injury. Give him 2 series to get settled and he should be more comfortable. If not just another one of those talents that couldn't make the jump.

Form wise Johnson and Tait aren't our best domestic bowlers. Noffke is clearly the most in form bowler, Bollinger and Innes have stepped up this season. All 3 performing better than Hilfy atm as well. Our best spinner happens to be a 35 year old from Victoria also out performing Hogg.
Come on Bryce!

Hogg only got the spot because of his ODI form. I still don't rate him a s a world class spinner and think we could be doing better with McGain.

I've been saying for God knows how long that Johnson and Tait aren't Test quality bowlers and ive been proved right recently. Australia must have better options than these two.

I've been saying for God knows how long that Johnson and Tait aren't Test quality bowlers and ive been proved right recently. Australia must have better options than these two.
Not really, Tait played one bad test, is about 24 or 25 and was under-bowled because of the over rate. Sorry Matt, but as bad as Shane Watson is, I disagree with you on Tait. He will be a champion one day, just give him some time.

As for currently, we do have better options, I wouldn't mind seeing Noffke and McGain in for the two.

Come on Bryce!

Hogg only got the spot because of his ODI form. I still don't rate him a s a world class spinner and think we could be doing better with McGain.

Same I've never really rated his ODI bowling he did good in the WC though I'll give him that but if we need a wicket I'm not overly confident of him getting one. If only McGain was younger would be a shoe in, the selectors picking him would be par with what the English did with their keeper. But we know our selectors are too conservative to make the change.

Users who are viewing this thread