The End Of Australian Dominance?

Is it offically over now? As of 30th December 2008?

• Total voters
How can you say Tendulkar is one in a generation. They've been many players to average in the mid 50's in Test Cricket.

The great Don Bradman compared Tendulkar to himself. If thats not a great compliment or stamp of approval I don't know what is. :rolleyes:

Tendulkar has more then 29,000 runs in international cricket, 81 centuries, 138 fifty's, and is all in all a great human being.
He can demolish an attack, imprint the fields in his mind, get into the head of the opposing captain and bowler. He is truly a legend, someone who is indeed once in a generation.
Batsman like Rahul Dravid and Ricky Ponting are too fantastic batsman and will be remembered forever. But, I feel that Rahul has amassed more of his runs from sheer technique and resilance, and Ponting from his awesome talent and ability to attack when needed.

Tendulkar in my opinion is the perfect mix of the two.

In my eyes, the only person coming close to Tendulkar in this aspect is Brian Charles Lara.

In a practical sense,then only the Late Sir Don was a once in a lifetime player seeing as no one could match his tally 99.what average.

We can very well put down Tendulkar,Lara and Ponting as one of the legends of the game,if not once in a lifetime players.

How can you say Tendulkar is one in a generation. They've been many players to average in the mid 50's in Test Cricket.

Fool,its not only about averages.in 1990s tendulkar averaged close to 60
there were no batsman who even came close to his average
in that era.as every team had great bowling attacks and the pitches were faster.so your rolly pollies like ponting who average above 50 nowadays averaged around 40 thosedays.
if tendulkar did not have so much injuries he could have averaged about 65
in 2000,s.

removing stats aside tendulkar is the perfect batsman with a sound technique and allround ability against pace a nd spin and all the shots
in the book with some of his own shots which he discovers all the time.

In a practical sense,then only the Late Sir Don was a once in a lifetime player seeing as no one could match his tally 99.what average.

We can very well put down Tendulkar,Lara and Ponting as one of the legends of the game,if not once in a lifetime players.

lara ,ponting,dravid can,t be put on the same step as tendulkar
he is the bet allround player a nd the perfect batsman where as opthers had their weaknesses

bradman played in an era where there were few teams playing and there
were genuine medium pacers not fast bowlers .also his batting technique if
you see some old footage is not that great.

He's not really a once in a generation player in a practical sense, maybe if you're talking about Indians. Dravid's not really a match winning type of player and as we saw last week, the best of Sehwag tends to come out for draws as well. If there's a player who really seems to tilt the scales for India it is Tendulkar.

On the world stage, though, there have definitely been plenty of peers. Lara's ability to 'turn it on' was rather unparalleled. His tally of double hundreds is second only to Bradman. I think Sangakkara is possibly the closest to Lara in terms of this ability, though his overall career might fall short of the aggregates. Ponting's ability to consistently produce hundreds is probably a notch ahead in terms of matches played, though Tendulkar's long career will probably prevent an over-take. Hayden's uncompromising style combined with conversion rate is quite uncanny and I can see a 35 year old Pietersen holding an even more powerful aura.

what a joke please write som things that make sense

dravid is the greatest match winner in tests he averages 72 away when india wins,he averages 58 away which is an outstanding achievement
he is the second greatest batsman after tendulkar in tests he may not have that aura
or talent tendulkar has but he has the determination a nd technique un matched by others

out of shewags 14 hundred most have been match winning on what if this 300
did not be amatch winning one most of them are. you are a fool who does not check stats

lara was never a match winner he was selfish ,the 400 he scored was adraw if you remember he had a handful of match winning hundreds

ponting plays well agaisnt mediocore bowling attacks and can't play spin

sangakara has yet to prove himself in alo ng run

Pietersen is consistently in consistent

Last edited:
Biased Indians so I'm going to be a biased Australian.

The Indian team plays on flat dead tracks that offer hardly anything for the bowlers so none of their batsman should be considered one of the best.

The Indian team plays on flat dead tracks that offer hardly anything for the bowlers so none of their batsman should be considered one of the best.

They actually play on spin tracks so players such as Jaffer who are new have trouble playing fast bowling such as Lee.

I think Australian pitches are best for batting.

he is the bet allround player a nd the perfect batsman where as opthers had their weaknesses

Bull-sh * t Utter crap.

Lara,Ponting,Dravid are those cricketers who have been consistent over a long time frame. And forgive me,but no one is perfect and Tendulakr has many weaknesses.

Secondly,bout Bradman,are you forgetting that he played in an era when there were no helmets ? Did you actually see the West Indies bowl ?

There's no point arguing with someone who probably Sachin Tendulkar duvet covers just so he can give the 'Little Master' a squeeze before going to sleep.

CG, how you can denounce Bradman, the bowlers of his era, the bowlers of today and Australian pitches just to prove to yourself that Tendulkar is the greatest batsman bar none is beyond me.

Lara and Tendulkar are legends and Ponting will probably join them in time. They are all brilliant batsmen that can play shots that others can't. Don't be so condesecnding to legends of the game like Bradman and co. to feed your unhealthy desire for Tendulkar.

BTW, Dravid, Kallis and Ponting all average in excess of 55 as far as your comment about no-one coming close to Tendulkar's average of nearly 60.

Do a google on what a sticky dog is, then reply in here again.

And the notion that truly fast bowlers have only existed in the last 30 years is a fallacy.

BTW, Dravid, Kallis and Ponting all average in excess of 55 as far as your comment about no-one coming close to Tendulkar's average of nearly 60.
Ponting is the only batsman in the history of International to touch an average of 60 after playing over 100 Tests.

Ponting is the only batsman in the history of International to touch an average of 60 after playing over 100 Tests.
As this page shows, Ponting's average hasn't been 60 or above since his second test match. He did touch 59.99 in his 107th match. Rahul Dravid came pretty close as well, averaging 58.75 after 104 matches. Sachin Tendulkar, too, got to 58.46 after 103. So there's just a run and a half between the three of them, which is really negligible, especially when there is plenty of other evidence to suggest that Ponting is a great batsman.

There's not much to argue against that one, except the spin part. Nothing biased, I don't think, but guys like Tendulkar have proved themselves all round the world, so yes, in that view, they can be considered the best.

I believe that a team of cricket stattos put together all of the averages, bowling, batting and the rises and fall of these etc in the Bradman era and the current era, and practically for a player to be on a level to which Bradman was in his day they reckoned someone would need to average around 70.

Besides, Tendulkar isn't a once in a generation player. Many other players in his generation are nearly and if not as brilliant a players. It's not a slight on him at all, it's just fact.

what a joke please write som things that make sense

dravid is the greatest match winner in tests he averages 72 away when india wins,he averages 58 away which is an outstanding achievement
he is the second greatest batsman after tendulkar in tests he may not have that aura
or talent tendulkar has but he has the determination a nd technique un matched by others

out of shewags 14 hundred most have been match winning on what if this 300
did not be amatch winning one most of them are. you are a fool who does not check stats

lara was never a match winner he was selfish ,the 400 he scored was adraw if you remember he had a handful of match winning hundreds

ponting plays well agaisnt mediocore bowling attacks and can't play spin

sangakara has yet to prove himself in alo ng run

Pietersen is consistently in consistent
Sehwag's centuries
03/11/2001 South Africa v India - South Africa Won by 9 Wickets
08/08/2002 England v India - Match Drawn
09/10/2002 India v West Indies - India Won by an Innings and 112 Runs
16/10/2003 India v New Zealand - Match Drawn
26/12/2003 Australia v India - Australia Won by 9 Wickets
28/03/2004 Pakistan v India - India Won by an Innings and 52 Runs
14/10/2004 India v Australia - Match Drawn
20/11/2004 India v South Africa - Match Drawn
08/03/2005 India v Pakistan - Match Drawn
24/03/2005 India v Pakistan - Pakistan Won by 168 Runs
13/01/2006 Pakistan v India - Match Drawn
10/06/2006 West Indies v India - Match Drawn
24/01/2008 Australia v India - Match Drawn
26/03/2008 India v South Africa - Match Drawn

Now I shouldn't really bother responding to such drivel as fuelling a flame war is pointless, but I'd rather not be slandered. I show you here, Sehwag's 14 Test centuries, nine of which took place in drawn Tests and for clarity I've high-lighted the 'majority' of which India have won. You see, I do check stats and I check them very well. Evidently, much better than you.

Now there are other debatable claims that you have made and maybe even room for intelligent discussion, but I'm not going to throw any more of my time at it.

Users who are viewing this thread