The End Of Australian Dominance?

Is it offically over now? As of 30th December 2008?

• Total voters
only time will time.

Clark has been good, but besides him you don't have a current potent attack. Aus. A side bowlers have done well, but in two-three years, we'll know whats happening.

May be even the world-cup might have some answers, with both Warne and McGrath now playing. Lee's still potent on ODI's, backed by Clark, Tait and so on.

It's not often seeing Warne and McGrath both not playing, but the last this occured was when India toured Australia in 04. The Australian bowlers were murdered especially in the Adelaide and Sydney test. Here are the scorecards.

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2003-04/IND_IN_AUS/SCORECARDS/IND_AUS_T2_12-16DEC2003.html

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2003-04/IND_IN_AUS/SCORECARDS/IND_AUS_T4_02-06JAN2004.html

In 04 Australia had the attack of Lee, Gillespie, MacGill and Bracken. In 07 and beyond the attack will most likely be Lee, Clark, MacGill and Tait or Johnson. To me I can still see the similarities in the attack.

Lee 39.3 5 201 4

Feck!

To answer the thread title.

No, they won't win as many tests and they may lose more too, they certainly won't be as good as they are now. They'll still be No.1 unless England can pull something out of the hat in the future.

Or possibly India, their bowling has very large potential:

Munaf is a Mcgrath clone with a supurb bouncer. VRV Singh must find his old pace.
Sreesanth and Zaheer are class acts and they have a fantastic all rounder in Pathan who needs to find form.

Beating South Africa is hopefully a sign of future Indian dominance, not likely though :D

Everyone keeps going on about Munaf, I've seen nothing of him that makes me think he's anything like McGrath. See how he does next summer when India play us here. India need to iimprove mentally imo and become more aggressive.

Everyone keeps going on about Munaf, I've seen nothing of him that makes me think he's anything like McGrath.

He has great line and length and some pace potential. But he is so lazy!

Jon Lewis has pretty good line and length but he's no McGrath.

He did alright vs us though, don't remember him being like McGrath I have to say though.

The thing about Mcgrath is he has a mixture of many factors which make him a great bowler. He is tall, hits the seam, gets nip off the pitch, swings the fuller delivery and has reasonable pace at over 80mph.

If anything, I'd want to see another dominant West Indies line-up with a very fearsome bowling line-up. With atleast one of them having a Curtly Ambrose type persona, I saw a clip of him on youtube and he just scared the batsman into submission. Sadly, Jerome Taylor looks like the only prospect the Windies have for the future.

Sreesanth bowled really well aswell for India, his a character. A very arrogant one. I hope he keeps that, I tend to like cricketers who piss me off strangely, it brings more to cricket.

But what I've heard McGrath never used to swing the ball and he'd bowl consistantly outside the off-stump on a good length. I'm confused over why batsman didn't use their feet to McGrath the sort of way Pietersen did to him in the last test.

correct me if im wrong but australia arent playing another test for 11 month after the ashes right? if you ask me thats plenty of time to rebuild ;).

Octavius said:
wow who doesnt love the history and drama surrounding the ashes, if they are a true cricket fan? Im neither English or Australian, but i love the clash between Pakistan and India and Eng and Australia, thats what crickets all about.

As far as your comments about the dominance of Australia, i would hasten to submit that Australia has more secondary level depth than many other countries out there.

There is plenty of new young talent coming through from what i can see.

I think you made the right point.

Gambino, cricket is not just about nationality. On one side you admit that you don't watch Aussie domestic cricket, and on the other side, you say the Aussie domination will end. You must realize that their system for grooming youngsters is by far the best in the world.

I did watch some parts of this current Ashes series, when I did not have classes in the mornings. Similarly, I watch any cricket live on television, whenever I have the time.

puddleduck said:
Although to answer your question, Giles is up at 50, MacGill goes up to 50 in his four matches and Vettori goes up to 55 from 32. Whilst they are both strangely high, they are not on their own as spinners who average far more against India. Kaneria's and Muralis averages both increase by around 10 against India, in fact only Bojes average drops against India out of the spinners. But there you go, I named you 3 of them :p

I think Vettori troubles the Indian batsmen more than any other bowler. His line is very very irritating and he dries the runs up. He is an amazing bowler, though.

Sureshot said:
India need to iimprove mentally imo and become more aggressive.

Steve Waugh summed this up pretty well. He said that the Indians are too 'well mannered' to be as aggressive as the Aussies are.

rickyp said:
I dunno, id say they could knock off most teams
I wouldn't be so sure. Maybe at home. Even Mumbai gave the Aussies a fair run for their money during the tour matches--and that's just one city in India.

anandbatra said:
I think Vettori troubles the Indian batsmen more than any other bowler. His line is very very irritating and he dries the runs up. He is an amazing bowler, though.

His stats show otherwise :p

In India where the pitches favour spinners more than just about anywhere in the world he has 17 wickets at 51.5 with a pretty good economy rate of 2.65.

In NZL however where the pitches aren't as helpful he has taken a hammering. Four matches with just 2 wickets at 91.5 and an economy rate of 4.25!

I think it would be fair to say there have been a fair few bowlers more effective against India than Vettori :p

Steve Waugh summed this up pretty well. He said that the Indians are too 'well mannered' to be as aggressive as the Aussies are.

Was what Sreesanth did to Nel "well mannered"? It was funny as hell but not well mannered.

Users who are viewing this thread