The End Of Australian Dominance?

Is it offically over now? As of 30th December 2008?

• Total voters
Why every Australian thread end up as debate of Aussie player vs Some other player

Boo!, don't underestimate - Australia despite of a defeat. they can turn back to their winning streak very easily. It would not be doubtful if you have nice players now. But, i will never underestimate Australia. So, Let's not get into the fueling business again "Brothers".

Bradman played most of his matches against England. So he did not have to adapt his game much. Now, teams plan every wicket with extensive video video recordings. So it is not fair to compare him with players (this includes Ponting so don't start flaming me aussies :p) of this era. Maybe if he played today his average could have been half. And also in the time he played there were unlimited day tests.

Bradman also played in the middle-order and probably never faced reverse-swing in the middle overs of a test match at 90mph.

Does anyone understand what a sticky dog is?

Bradman still averaged over 50 in Bodyline. But again, I'm not sure if anyone understands what Bodyline was.

Sticky dog: Sticky wicket (or sticky dog, or glue pot) is cricket jargon for a pitch that has been affected by rain, then begins to dry in the sun. A hard crust forms over soft, wet soil. This helps the ball to bite, turn and lift variably." On a sticky wicket, batting is awkward and sometimes hazardous, as the ball will spin and seam and there will be variable bounce.

I don't think anyone can compare any of the current generation to the brilliance of Bradman. He overcame the worst possible conditions and some fantastic bowlers and still managed to average close to 100. There's no way that Ponting and Tendulkar come close to Bradman, they'd struggle like hell on the uncovered wickets of old.

Bradman still averaged over 50 in Bodyline. But again, I'm not sure if anyone understands what Bodyline was.

Lol, I understand. Two bowlers at around 90mph using leg theory with a leg side slip cordon packed. Interestingly Bradman played it by backing away and cutting the deliveries, a testament to his tremendous hand eye coordination.

You people make it sound like it's impossible for any player in the modern age to be considered one of the best and that the likes of Ponting, Tendulkar & Lara are a bunch of jokers because they played in better conditions.

If all of you said was actually true then Bradman was actually Superman, with superpowers that enabled him to see the ball coming at him in "slow-motion" and he actually knew what ball the bowler was going to bowl because he could see into the future, which is why it was almost impossible to dislodge him and that if Bradman didn't make a 100 in a particular innings then it was assumed that he was bored and wanted to give the opposition a chance at winning for the sake of competition.

The reason Bradman made a duck in his last innings is because he indeed had tears in his eyes from getting applauded onto the ground by the opposition and that tears generated from his eyes drooled into the machine known as Don Bradman and disabled him from using his "superpowers" in his last innings. This was widely considered one of the best plots in the history of cricket and it overshadowed Douglus Jardine's "Bodyline" theory.

Why it took so long to figure this out is not known but it is mainly the reason why opposition teams do it to retiring players (even the not so great players) who are retiring at the end of the match in hope that they underperform in their last innings of International cricket.

You people make it sound like it's impossible for any player in the modern age to be considered one of the best and that the likes of Ponting, Tendulkar & Lara are a bunch of jokers because they played in better conditions.

If all of you said was actually true then Bradman was actually Superman, with superpowers that enabled him to see the ball coming at him in "slow-motion" and he actually knew what ball the bowler was going to bowl because he could see into the future, which is why it was almost impossible to dislodge him and that if Bradman didn't make a 100 in a particular innings then it was assumed that he was bored and wanted to give the opposition a chance at winning for the sake of competition.

The reason Bradman made a duck in his last innings is because he indeed had tears in his eyes from getting applauded onto the ground by the opposition and that tears generated from his eyes drooled into the machine known as Don Bradman and disabled him from using his "superpowers" in his last innings. This was widely considered one of the best plots in the history of cricket and it overshadowed Douglus Jardine's "Bodyline" theory.

Why it took so long to figure this out is not known but it is mainly the reason why opposition teams do it to retiring players (even the not so great players) who are retiring at the end of the match in hope that they underperform in their last innings of International cricket.
Lol your going crazy! That post was just silly.

:rtfl wow what a theory. I dont like to comment on anyone I have not seen bat but the conditions were same for everyone. If Bradman made runs at 100 then someone should have been right by him. If not 100 then maybe 80 or 85. But that did not happened. So Bradman is Superman afterall.

Lol, I understand. Two bowlers at around 90mph using leg theory with a leg side slip cordon packed. Interestingly Bradman played it by backing away and cutting the deliveries, a testament to his tremendous hand eye coordination.

I remember reading Lillee talk about the Don batting in the nets on an India tour when he was 68, facing the fast bowlers (roaring in as he described it iirc) and without any kind of protective gear (barring the bat..).

I think a discussion on the best batsman since Bradman is down to personal choice and opinion, but the best of all time isn't an opinion, it's a fact.

Nah I think the real theory is that once Bradman was in, it was almost impossible to dislodge him. I mean, just look at his converison rate and how many 200's & 300's his scored in his career.

This thread is way off topic. I say you can't say Australia's reign is over due to one series. We have too many talented players in the wings for that to happen. And once we get rid of the old and soon to be retiring players and build a new team chemistry, we will be unstoppable again.

Users who are viewing this thread