Story The EPL: English Cricket will never be the same (Sign-up)

The Spin

Panel of Selectors
316245290.jpg

ECB announce new English premier League

The ECB's conference of the counties with the top brass of the board ended with the surprising announcement of the formation of an English Premier League to rival the IPL.

The meeting was called just one month ago and was expected to be a quiet affair with very little action ongoing. Not only were the counties expected to outright refuse the idea of a franchised tournament, but were expected to demand no changes to the calendar as it is now. What happened could not be further from that expectation.

Giles Clarke, ECB chairman, emerged from the meeting to deliver a statement on behalf of all the counties and the ECB itself. "The ECB and all 18 first-class counties today came to an agreement to start a new, franchised tournament to be played alongside the current county season, to replace the Twenty20 cup.

"This tournament, to be named the English Premier League, will involve the combination of counties into 8 franchises around the country. These 8 will play in 2 divisions, the North and South divisions each with 4 teams playing each other twice, before the top 2 teams in each group progress to the playoffs, first to decide the Northern and Southern champions and then to play the other champion in the National Championship.

"We are certain that an event of this caliber will see many big name players interested. In the interest of fairness, each franchise starts with an empty squad, no county players are carried over into the squads. Any players willing to take part will then enter a draft, to take place before the tournament starts, which will decide the squads.

"This is an exciting venture for all involved and we can only believe that it will be very successful."

The list of franchises was later revealed as follows (the counties in brackets are those forming the franchise): Southampton (Hampshire/Sussex), Manchester (Lancashire/Durham), Birmingham (Worcestershire/Warwickshire/Northamptonshire), South London (Kent/Surrey), Leeds (Yorkshire/Derbyshire), Nottingham (Nottinghamshire/Leicestershire), Cardiff (Glamorgan/Gloucestershire/Somerset), North London(Middlesex/Essex). These are set to announce their full names, including nicknames, at a later date.

So there is what has happened, now for your part!

You can choose one franchise in your attempt to gain glory. I must now note that the first stage of the story, the draft, will take place over MSN and, seeing as I am British, will be taking place at a time suited for Brits. I know this may compromise some people's potential involvement, but I would rather not do it in the thread and take forever.

Southampton Saints (Hampshire/Sussex) - TheMongrel
Home Ground: The Rose Bowl
Cash: £10,000,000

Manchester Storm (Lancashire/Durham) - WORLD CHAMPIONS
Home Ground: Old Trafford
Cash: £9,000,000

Birmingham Bulls (Worcestershire/Warwickshire/Northamptonshire) - CoolzEng95
Home Ground: Edgebaston
Cash: £8,700,000

South London Stars (Kent/Surrey) - shefellover93
Home Ground: The Oval
Cash: £8,500,000

Leeds Mavericks (Yorkshire/Derbyshire) - ajay.bhat
Home Ground: Headingley
Cash: £8,200,000

Nottingham Rebels (Nottinghamshire/Leicestershire) - lancashire666
Home Ground: Trent Bridge
Cash: £8,000,000

Cardiff Dragons (Glamorgan/Gloucestershire/Somerset) - shantanu rooney
Home Ground: Sophia Gardens
Cash: £7,500,000

North London Bulldogs (Middlesex/Essex) - Maney2k8
Home Ground: Lords
Cash: £6,500,000

Sign up to be the manager of a team. Simply write which team you want to be. You must be committed to picking a team for each game, there won't be that many so stay active! This is on cricsim and so when picking players later it is the average which is important.

Last edited:

The Spin

Panel of Selectors
Thanks guys, 4 left.

I will repeat for importance that the draft will take place at a convenient GMT time this weekend, probably during the afternoon. If you are not from Britain you will need to be available at the set time.

The Spin

Panel of Selectors
Sorry Mongrel, it had gone before you asked. Please stick around though because if anyone pulls out then it is very likely that you will get in soon.

For everyone else, I am setting a first time for the draft as possibly Sunday at 3pm (GMT). Any people cant make it?

The draft will be run on a random order draw and where the order reverses every round. A list of players to pick from will be provided. The draft will be 15 rounds long. It will be possible to trade draft places, they may be traded for other draft picks, money or players, or anything else you can think of. Make a creative draft trade! Remember, although having a high up pick early on might get you a star player, a lot of picks in round 3 could result in getting the best overall team, so think ahead. Each team will get 5 minutes to make their draft, whilst also doing any deals that may arise. Miss your go, then you will be skipped (unless you arrange picks with me in your absence) and you can then draft at any time when you return.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread