The Future of Twenty20 Leagues

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
:| no

LA is the bridge. the glue.

Think I've already mentioned this but I feel ODs are the worst format in cricket currently. The main thing that it has in it's favour is the prestige of the World Cup due to history and that is something which will dwindle in the upcoming years as the tournament gets reduced to a glorified Champions Trophy. You only need to look at the numerous rule changes that it has experienced, other formats have been fairly stable for the most part while ODs have always experimented with fielding restrictions, the usage of two balls, powerplays, subs and whatnot. The biggest change test cricket has experienced is a scheduling one to day/night for commercial purposes and for T20s, the only one I can think of is the strategic time-out as a glorified ad session. I wouldn't mind seeing bilateral T20Is scrapped all together with T20 leagues being the main source of short format games while international breaks give us breaks from the domestic calendar with some test matches for the Championship (you could have the prestigious series' in a longer break while the shorter ones have just one or two games) and a few ODIs if they are deemed to be important (I personally don't find them to be, but I understand that the allure of the format is still good for plenty).

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Personally, LA is my favourite format. But it is what it is... ODIs are gonna vanish in some time.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Great post and great website. Thanks for the info!
It used to be better a while ago, with a lot more members, but it’s still a thousand times better than social media.

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Okay so T20 Leagues is a bad idea unless it comes with massive audience. I'd admit.

Jack7

Club Cricketer
Okay so T20 Leagues is a bad idea unless it comes with massive audience. I'd admit.
NO. All cricket is good cricket. T10, 100, T20, 40 overs, 45, 50, Test, Timeless you name it. 25 overs for the Olympics would be good. Doesn't matter who's watching!

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
With the introduction of the UAE league, which allows 9 overseas players and the second-highest salary after IPL, and the CSA league, owned by IPL franchises (who will look to secure exclusive contracts with players to represent their teams in the respective leagues where they own a franchise), I think it is time for BBL, Hundred and PSL to settle on a joint player recruitment strategy, as suggested by Imran Ahmad Khan, head of player recruitment for the PSL for its first 7 seasons.

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
With the introduction of the UAE league, which allows 9 overseas players and the second-highest salary after IPL, and the CSA league, owned by IPL franchises (who will look to secure exclusive contracts with players to represent their teams in the respective leagues where they own a franchise), I think it is time for BBL, Hundred and PSL to settle on a joint player recruitment strategy, as suggested by Imran Ahmad Khan, head of player recruitment for the PSL for its first 7 seasons.

I’m not liking where cricket is ultimately going with all of these exclusivity contracts honestly. Having said that I feel like this is a reaction to that rumour of Pakistani players not being offered contracts in the UAE and SA leagues which sounds brazenly unethical. Excluding players of a certain nationality especially in a country like South Africa is irony of the highest order given their own history and them having one of their best spinners hailing from said country.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Sadly, yes.
Our cricket has survived worse, we'll survive this too, if it happens.
Worst thing Pakistan can do is get greedy. PSL is really good and Pakistan has some of the best players in the world and they constantly find exciting young talent. Now they're back in Pakistan, with covid (being ignored/over) they can embed the sides into their cities. Big advantage Pakistan has over other countries (like England and Australia) is no other sports competing for space and a far bigger population. Australia is floundering trying to make the BBL good again and the ECB bet everything on The Hundred which has been very divisive.

One thing I always thought would be good, to prevent all these leagues popping up and saturating the market, would be an Asian Premier League. Teams from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka competing in some form. Obviously it wouldn't happen with India and Pakistan - but Pakistan could link up with Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. Three six team leagues with the top two from each going into a super six. Something like the Euro T20 that never got off the ground, I think they planned to have different legs in different countries.

Users who are viewing this thread