The greatest country in the world?

Do you live in the greatest country in the world?

• Yes

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • No

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • I choose the strange option because I think it's cool to do so

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
Trust me Matt, England is not the best country to live in. The crime level is very high. Also, the taxation is tremendously high.

I was talking to this supply teacher in our History lesson. She said that her Brother worked in Hafuf (A place in Saudi Arabia). She told me that it is 7p per liter. Here in England, (at the moment) it is ?1.03 for Unleaded Petrol :rolleyes:
The thing about tax in the UK is that incomes reflect higher costs, take the US dollar conversion, ?1 equals roughly $2, but the minimum wage in the UK is around about double (I don't have the exact figure). In many of these countries with really cheap fuel, their wages are very low as well. It is all well and good if you pay 7 pence a litre, but if you only earn a pound an hour, and someone in the UK earns ?15 an hour, the hit to their income of the fuel price is lesser. So for someone in these countries the cheap fuel really isn't.

Really the only way to reliably measure the cost of fuel is by using a measure that doesn't depend on the value of the currency, fuel cost as a proportion of gross income would be a way of doing that. Basically no matter how cheap the fuel is, people still complain about how expensive it is.

On a side note, I paid AU$1.55.9 per litre for fuel last week.

The thing about tax in the UK is that incomes reflect higher costs, take the US dollar conversion, £1 equals roughly $2, but the minimum wage in the UK is around about double (I don't have the exact figure). In many of these countries with really cheap fuel, their wages are very low as well. It is all well and good if you pay 7 pence a litre, but if you only earn a pound an hour, and someone in the UK earns £15 an hour, the hit to their income of the fuel price is lesser. So for someone in these countries the cheap fuel really isn't.

Really the only way to reliably measure the cost of fuel is by using a measure that doesn't depend on the value of the currency, fuel cost as a proportion of gross income would be a way of doing that. Basically no matter how cheap the fuel is, people still complain about how expensive it is.

On a side note, I paid AU$1.55.9 per litre for fuel last week.

Owned!! I got it for $1.32 late wednesday night!! Score!!!

I think Australia racist impression on the world is because some of us are actually getting sick of some imigrants who come here and create violence. You only have to go to the city to see Lebanese gangs walking aroung, heck, I've actually have been in a fight with them as they tried to steal our phones. Also the Sudanese are creating trouble as well.

Also international students have an unfair advantage over us Aussie born guys when it comes to education, for some reason it goes in their favour! And you only have to drive through suburbs around Melbourne to see how many people from asian decent are there. It's not a bad thing, its just some people are wondering if the old Australia is dead.....

Those of you lucky enough to have access to the staff forum have even seen a picture of me in my skirt...
Runs off to fetch it.

I'm immediately disqualifiying Colin's vote as Scotland is a cesspit and a hive of scum and villainy. Plus it's Scottish. :)
As opposed to Lancashire?

:laugh It has a nice amount of sheep.

Scotland is easily the best country in the world. For one, everyone likes Scotland. You never see someone go "Oh God he's from Scotland" apart from if there from Glasgow
Who likes Scotland? Wales is the one no one hates, because we all think it's cute. Also, Wales have Craig Bellamy, who reminds me of Steve Johnson because he's a moron.

I'm fairly pragmatic about living in the United Kingdom, I love the place, I don't think I want to live anywhere else (although I do entertain the thought at times). Certainly we invented the modern world and were once the greatest country in the world (by a long way) but is that the case now? Probably not.
Doesn't it make you annoyed at all that you once controlled like half the world, invented every decent sport in the world except Aussie Rules, but suck at everything and lost all the power?

England is the best country in the world. It's English. Therefore it's the best.

I agree. But, When you decide to live there(in Some places), you may have to stir up with empty pockets and no money.

I bet.

If you live in old trafford, i bet you would spend 76% of your money on football.

BTW, it was said that india is the most famous and greatest country in the world over Years. True.

Simbazz said:
I was born and grew up for more than half of my life in America, and i have to say, England is soooooooo much better.

The boring stuff is better, education, work and general interaction with strangers.

Erm....I wouldn't say i'm proud to be somewhat English (1/2 English) but the thing is, i'm proud to be living here, i'm also happy to not be living back home. From what i remember from living, and what i know from touring, England is superior!!!!

You're an American And english Too?, your display name always suggests me that you' liked south america.:p.

America has been a place of Technology, Security, Everything. But, they are careless at times. I say that. Compare Canada and America, You'll have lots of differences. Such as humanity....

Who likes Scotland? Wales is the one no one hates, because we all think it's cute. Also, Wales have Craig Bellamy, who reminds me of Steve Johnson because he's a moron.

That name changes me into a raging lunatic. I HATE Bellamy so much. Out of every single footballer I would say between him and Ronaldo would be who I hate the most.

Everyone likes Scotland. Sean Connery likes Scotland but he just won't live here for some reason? (Got scared of by seeing Colin in a kilt) :p

I voted yes, but now wish I didn't. Britain is not the greatest country in the world, its a disgrace at present and my view is that it will only get worse. Thanks to our friggin fantastic government and nobody else.

It's statements like this (don't take this personally Simon) which baffle me. We live in a country where crime level is low, whatever the tories and BNP fascists say. We have, imo, the greatest health care system in the world, where everyone is treated equal and is available to all, not just the rich. We have a strong education system, which although could be better is only due to our very high standards. We live in a fantastic country, which might have it's problems but they are tiny in reality and only exist due to our expectations of very high standards.

For me, there is no greatest country in the world because everyone wants different things. Some might want immigration some won't, some might want religious law some won't. My personal view is that political freedom and freedom of being a human being is what's important in a countries status.

We do moan alot, particularly the Brits, but in the real world it's fickle.

I voted yes, but now wish I didn't. Britain is not the greatest country in the world, its a disgrace at present and my view is that it will only get worse. Thanks to our friggin fantastic government and nobody else.

Care to explain.

It's statements like this (don't take this personally Simon) which baffle me. We live in a country where crime level is low, whatever the tories and BNP fascists say. We have, imo, the greatest health care system in the world, where everyone is treated equal and is available to all, not just the rich. We have a strong education system, which although could be better is only due to our very high standards. We live in a fantastic country, which might have it's problems but they are tiny in reality and only exist due to our expectations of very high standards.

For me, there is no greatest country in the world because everyone wants different things. Some might want immigration some won't, some might want religious law some won't. My personal view is that political freedom and freedom of being a human being is what's important in a countries status.

Please...Don't talk rubbish.

EDIT: If you mean "in general" then I stand by my post.

I meant everyone in the health system is treated equally. Ie, in the NHS poor and rich receive same treatment.

Oh ok.

Anyways, I cant judge what country is the greatest in the world, Ive been in Aus since I was six and have had problems in general but I would say its a fantastic, safe county.

Care to explain why you think its rubbish?
It would of been rubbish if he meant England was the greatest country in the world because everyone gets treated equally over there.

Last edited:

Ok I sort of disagree with you but if I'm picking up subtle hints I would guess your left wing (Not that it has anything to do with how I feel about you)

Firstly if we have low crime rates why is it now that schools are implementing metal detectors due to the rising numbers of knife attacks in schools? Why is it more and more people feel less safe to walk the streets at night? Why is it that we are turning into a country where people have no respect to each other and feel free to verbally and physically assault others? Why is it with new 24 hour drinking laws there are more drink fuelled crimes happening? Why is it the level of drug use is increasing meaning more petty crimes are happening as addicts try and support their addiciton?

Secondly the NHS. Firstly a question for you have you used the NHS recently? Undoubtedly in a serious incident where your life is at stake then yes the NHS is the best in the world. However with operations like hip replacements and other non-life threatning things like this the NHS is rubbish. The standards are abysmall. My grandmother was admitted with alzemeirs (sp) after breaking her hip as well and it so bad where she was in the hospital that we had to clean her little area for her, bring her food which could be eaten (not the gruel she was given) and had to help her go to the toliet as the nurses didn't even empty her bed pan. There is also the cleanliness factor of the NHS, why is MRSA rife in our hospitals. The NHS is in crisis at the moment and this is a widely known fact.

Greatest contry in the world. Not a hope in hell. There are many other problems but the list would be too long

Last edited:
Secondly the NHS. Firstly a question for you have you used the NHS recently? Undoubtedly in a serious incident where your life is at stake then yes the NHS is the best in the world. However with operations like hip replacements and other non-life threatning things like this the NHS is rubbish. The standards are abysmall. My grandmother was admitted with alzemeirs (sp) after breaking her hip as well and it so bad where she was in the hospital that we had to clean her little area for her, bring her food which could be eaten (not the gruel she was given) and had to help her go to the toliet as the nurses didn't even empty her bed pan. There is also the cleanliness factor of the NHS, why is MRSA rife in our hospitals. The NHS is in crisis at the moment and this is a widely known fact.

People get what their taxes pay for and this country isn't prepared to pay anything else. You cannot blame the government for being in charge of a selfish country that doesn't realise what actually happens in the real world to everyone rather than just themselves.

euorope is a great continent changing loads and stuff

People get what their taxes pay for and this country isn't prepared to pay anything else. You cannot blame the government for being in charge of a selfish country that doesn't realise what actually happens in the real world to everyone rather than just themselves.

We don't control where the taxes go. What are people supposed to do when the government wastes billions on two seperate wars? People aren't selfish, the government mis-spends the money

Users who are viewing this thread