Story The HRV Cup: The Knights' Quest ***WF victors in close game with OV***

Who deserves to be Man of the Match?

• Total voters
Enjoy having Shah run out everyone in that team!!! Big fan of Ryder though, one of the most exciting young batsmen in cricket.

Good works again pal :)

He has stated he has intention to play cricket for New Zealand in T20s as he sees no future for England. Nowadays if one states their intention to do this and takes steps towards becoming a New Zealand citizen that is good enough.

Yeah, I read that, just that he was counted as an overseas player in 2010, but I guess one year down the track he may.

Wellington will probably fail again like TheGreemSim said.
Not much depth, and will rely heavily in Ryder.

Yeah he hasn't done that in real life but if he counted as their overseas player both the Aces and the Stags would have Chelmsford as their 'international' home ground. And having come to NZ for a few years now it was more feasible that he became a New Zealander than Ravi (who still has a future with England possibly?)
Update coming tonight. Tomorrow I'm going to the NZ v Australia test at the Basin Reserve for the first three days. Back on Monday, will finish the previews, sort out the fixtures etc. and then the tournament will begin! There will be quite a few competitions and heaps, and I mean heaps, of vcash, and other prizes to be won. So make sure you keep reading this thread!

CanterburyWizards.png

HRV Cup Campaign Preview: The Canterbury Wizards

CanterburyWizards.png

Squad:
Peter Fulton (c)
Corey Anderson
Hamish Bennett
Shane Bond
Ryan Burson
Andrew Ellis
Carl Frauenstein
Chris Harris
Brandon Hiini
Tom Latham
Johannes Myburgh
Rob Nicol
Michael Papps
Shannan Stewart
Logan Van Beek
Kruger van Wyk​

Captain: Peter Fulton
Coach: Bob Carter
Overseas Player: Jerome Taylor
Home Grounds: AMI Stadium, Christchurch & Sabina Park, Kingston

Last Year: 5th

History: The Wizards took out the inaugural Domestic Twenty20 competition in 2006 but will be disappointed by their efforts since then- they were never in the hunt last year and at the moment seem to be in the shadow of the powerful Canterbury side of the early 2000s- Harris, McMillan and Bond remain from those glory days, but they are in the twilight of their careers and there is no Cairns, Astle or McCullum with them now. They will be desperate emerge from their present state and put together some performances this year, showing their supporters that they are the the players of today and they will do the job.

Strengths: Their batting is strong enough, without any stars they have a few talented enough players like Michael Papps, Rob Nicol, Shannan Stewart and Johannes Myburgh who have all at some stage played for or been on the fringe of the Black Caps' side. Jerome Taylor will provide the bowling with some much needed x-factor- the Wizards' real strength should be the new ball combination of Taylor and Bond. Nicol exceeded expectations last year with his off spinners- he needs to replicate some of last year's form for Canterbury's bowling attack to be balanced.

Weaknesses: Too many bits and pieces players- Andrew Ellis, Ian Robertson, Carl Frauenstein- they're all neither here nor there with bat and ball. These sorts of players can be useful in Twenty20 but their value is often overestimated- it is 80s and 100s from genuine batsmen and 4fers and 5fers from genuine bowlers that win games, rather than 20s and 2fers from average allrounders.

Outlook: A very experienced side- it has its advantages but can also give this side a tired look- but Bond, McMillan and Harris are still performing well and Taylor should bring about some energy- there are also a couple of youngsters waiting in the wings, namely Tom Latham and Logan Van Beek, who represented New Zealand at the Under 19 World Cup. They are an outside chance but a chance nonetheless to make 2011 their year.

Player to Watch: He had a disappointing season last year, given his talent, but Johannes Myburgh will be one to keep your eye on throughout this year's HRV Cup.

JohannesMyburghPhoto.png

Johannes Myburgh will be hungry for runs

Last edited:
Jerome Taylor will provide the bowling with some much needed x-factor
but Bond, McMillan and Harris are still performing well

You didn't name Mcmillan and Jerome Taylor in the squad

On the other way, this team (except Bond) looks like a "unlikely to win" team.Though Shanan Stewart etc. are good players but they probably don't have as much talent as other team players.
The team will be heavily dependent on Bond.

mcmillan on his day can do alot with a bat or ball. he would look for some consistency throughout the cup.

Tomorrow I'm going to the NZ v Australia test at the Basin Reserve for the first three days.

gonna sit there for 3 days watching our batting collapse and/or bowling get a hammering??:D

Last edited:
Wow!!1 :eek: I must say the presentation has been just brilliant. I really cant wait for the tournament to start and its going to be a cracker for sure. I am sorry, but I am going to support the Central Stags has they have my favourite Kiwi batsman Ross Taylor.

OtagoVolts.png

HRV Cup Campaign Preview: The Otago Volts

OtagoVolts.png

Squad:
Craig Cumming (c)
Nick Beard
Neil Broom
Anthony Bullick
Ian Butler
Derek De Boorder
JP Duminy
Shaun Haig
Brendon McCullum
Nathan McCullum
James McMillan
Warren McSkimming
Aaron Redmond
Hamish Rutherford
Neil Wagner
Sam Wells

Captain: Craig Cumming
Coach: Mike Hesson
Overseas Player: JP Duminy
Home Grounds: Carisbrook, Dunedin and Newlands, Cape Town

Last Year: 4th

History: A placing of 4th last year doesn't really do the Volts' campaign any justice- there were on track- sometimes leading the way- to another final but were knocked out on run rate in their last game. However, they have always been strong contenders in this form of the game, winning it two years ago, and have really just got better as a team in every format each year.

Strengths: The Volts hold some really explosive batting in their ranks- Hamish Rutherford had a strike rate of 180 in Otago' successful campaign in 2009, Cumming and Redmond have learnt the art of T20 batting effectively, Neil Broom was a major performer last year, and who even needs to mention the McCullum brothers in the context of big hitting. Throw in the signing of the summer in JP Duminy and you've got a hugely competitive batting unit. On the bowling front Neil Wagner is up there with Bond and Napier in terms of pace- a really exciting prospect- and Nathan McCullum is one of the best exponents of limited overs spin bowling you'll see.

Weaknesses: Not too many to spot here, perhaps a lack of depth in pace bowling- if teams get hold of Wagner there could be some big scores made- although the timely return of James McMillan from injury will be nice for the Volts.

Outlook: Alongside the Central Stags, The Otago Volts have been the standout performers on the Twenty20 stage over the past few years- they have a much similar team this year, a surprisingly committed following from their fans, a well balanced side, and they just have that x-factor. They could just be the team to beat this year, too!

Players to Watch: Brendon McCullum will be to the fore, and it's difficult to look past one of the most talented cricketers in the world, one Jean Paul Duminy.

BrendonMcCullumandJPDuminyPhoto.png

Explosive in the IPL- can the Volts' new star
batting combination bring them more success?

Last edited:
Haven't been following this but just had a look at few updates and i am loving the presentation style. Its simple but yet effective. I like the way you are representing Strength,Weakness,Outlook and Player to watch for each team. I follow bit of New Zeland cricket and i will be supporting Auckland Aces. :)

Back a Team: Win loads of vcash!

BackaTeamHeading.png

A great new competition has been announced - this one's called "Back a Team"

The idea was thought up by the teams themselves, who feel that developing a fan base will greatly increase their chances of winning the HRV Cup. The general idea is that the winning side will donate all of the $1m dollar prize money amongst their fans.

There's no cost to enter, so get in there, back your side and you could end up One Million Dollars richer! There will also be running competitions - prizes for the fans that have the largest post count etc. so don't miss out.
(As the Knights are controlled by me, I will donate the money to the runners up on the off chance that I win, so you can't back the Knights).

On the very unlikely chance that there is an overwhelming response, there is a limit of 5 fans per team!

So simply:
a) Post here and state which team you are backing
and
b) Vote on the poll

And you are entered! Good luck!

Since you've got the Knights, I'll back Auckland I suppose

Users who are viewing this thread