The obscure cricketers' thread

Well I'm pretty sure Telemachus is back in the current SA/AU ODI series. Anyway, on the topic of Shane Lee, he actually had a pretty decent career in the Australian one-day side, playing as an allrounder with pretty good pace for his fast-mediums, and some hard hitting down the order. The main reason he's descended into obscurity is because he was struck down with quite a few injuries and couldn't even continue FC cricket, forcing his retirement at around 30. Harishankar, you may have been talking about Elsworthy, he was a fairly good pace bowler around the time of the World Cup 99 and after for SA, but he was a late starter if I remember correcty. And I believe Haywayd fell away from the international scene because he either didn't like the politics involved, was moody and resented not being selected. He was lightning quick at times as well. And puddleduck, how was Mark Lathwell? I read about him a while ago, a talented batsman I think, and he could have had a future but only managed a few tests.

Last edited:
Good call James219!

2 tests at an average of 19 odd. He was considered to be an excellent talent, an opening batsman with wristy technique, and even won some kind of young cricketer of the year award.

Yet another of those that was blooded in completely the wrong series, in the wrong circumstances, and then subsequently dissapeared into obscurity. Retired before 30 I think.

The problem with Hayward is that he is always injured, very rarely managed a game for Middlesex. Very quick when in full flow though.

Hayward on his best would remind me of Fannie de Villiers. But the kid threw some really annoying temper tantrums and always had a fall out with the coach.

There was this another south african pacer Henry Williams or so. He had this very different stumbling action and played a few games.

Stuart Law, played one test match and got a not out thus he has no average. Never played for Australia again.

Ah! Forgot Law. I guess he scored 48 runs against Sri Lanka. Didn't Punter make his debut in the same match?

Well Staurt Law was one of those players, like Jamie Cox, who could've easily adapted to the international game and performed if given opportunities. However, they were coming through in the era of the Waugh brothers and co.

Australia also had Hussey and Hodge still playing domestic cricket too. Just goes to show the depth they had back then.
Brad Williams played a few test matches then got dropped and hasn't been in the team since.
Matthew Elliott never really got a permanent gig.

well talking about this thread you cant actually say how many players are obsecure, brad williams australian bowler, kasprowicz, and many players from other teams r too like that who dont have place in the team now, but anytime their board can call them back or can end their career in international cricket.

There was this another south african pacer Henry Williams or so.

Ah, that was the one I remembered. Thanks for the name.

y2j826 said:
well talking about this thread you cant actually say how many players are obsecure, brad williams australian bowler, kasprowicz, and many players from other teams r too like that who dont have place in the team now, but anytime their board can call them back or can end their career in international cricket.
Well Kasprowicz is hardly obscure, I feel. I think this discussion about players who were never really given a fair trial in international cricket, and have since lost hope of playing competitive international cricket. Sort of like a career that promised much but was destroyed. :)

surendar said:
Have u people heard abt Pankhaj Dharmani,an Indian player...I think he hardly played 2-5 matches!!!!

Then I remember a bowler caled Mambrey(I dnt knw th full name),An Indian Bowler who just played single match!!!!

What abt Abey Kuruvilla,Harvinder Singh,D.Mohanty(All Indians)!!!!

Paras Mhambarey went to England as well ('96 I suppose) and was quite good in domestic cricket both with bat and ball.

Kuruvilla was Indias premier bowler all the while he played so dontthink he qualifies here

Any one remember a player called Sanjay Raul? He got picked for India once, never made it to the playing 11 AFAIK.

Steve Elworthy was also a good batter down the order.
Wajahutuula Wasti, Elworthy, and several of the other mentioned here are in Cricket2000. Neil Jhonson too, another victim of Zimbabwean Politics. Recently played for a Jaque Kaliis XI. Was about 30 or so years old.

Neil Johnson had a wonderful World Cup (99, I think). He was almost unbeatable with the bat and chipped in with bowling, too. As for Sanjay Raul--I don't think he was ever picked, was he? Orissa has not seen too many players been picked--the only two I can remember are SS Das and Debashish Mohanty. Both didn't really get extended runs, since they weren't really consistent at the top level.

Users who are viewing this thread