The obscure cricketers' thread

India-Chopra ( the off-spinner), Bhandari.

England-Aftab Habib.

Last edited:
Yeah I can't remember the World Cup 99 too much but I've seen and read things on it, with Neil Johnson performing brilliantly, the highlight being his 132 not out and 2 wickets (I think) against Australia. Zimbabwe actually had a respectable and competitve side back then with the likes of Campbell, Johnson, the Flower brothers, Olonga, Goodwin and others I can't remember. On the topic, Henry Olonga could qualify for this thread, he had pretty good pace, however erratic, and retired because of Zimbabwean politics pretty early.

Neil Johnson was injured which made him to quit!!!!!!

Well we have been seeing a lot of more prominent ex-cricketers in this thread, which was not my intention at all. For example, Darren Lehmann hardly qualifies as an obscure cricketer because he's played lots of one-day cricket for Australia and is a familiar name in international cricket.

I wonder whether we could really narrow down to players who've played a few games in International cricket and then disappeared suddenly without a trace... I also wonder why this happens? Maybe some players just have the ability to play First Class cricket and are happy staying there after seeing the pressures of international cricket? Maybe they're not temperamentally suited to the international game or not talented enough? Or maybe they just got unlucky and didn't get the breaks needed?

Telemachus is obsocure no more. Is back, got 8/0/59/0 and scored 29 off 13 balls with 3 sixes...

Remember Vijay Bharadwaj. Won the man of the series in his debut ODI series. pLayed a handful of matches then disappeared without a trace.

He did become much more stylish, though. Or maybe that was someone else. And by stylish, I mean physical appearance, not cricketing talent.

Jamie Siddons - Arguably the best cricketer Australia has had to not play test cricket. Averaged 44.91 in First Class cricket, scored 35 hundreds and 53 fifties. Did represent Australia in 1 ODI, where he scored 32 off 37 deliveries.

Anthony Stuart - Right arm fast-medium bowler from New South Wales, played 3 ODI's for Australia, taking 8 wickets at 13.62, and an economy rate of 3.63, and took a hat trick against Pakistan at the MCG.

Ryan Campbell - Wicketkeeper for Western Australia, was next in line behind Gilchrist for a long long time. Played 2 ODI's for Australia, scoring 38 & 16.

I remember a guy called Simon Cook. This chap ripped apart the Kiwi line up and there was a banner that read "Captain Cook discovered New Zealand, Simon Cook destroyed Newzealand". Whatever happened to him?

Machanperu Bala said:
I remember a guy called Simon Cook. This chap ripped apart the Kiwi line up and there was a banner that read "Captain Cook discovered New Zealand, Simon Cook destroyed Newzealand". Whatever happened to him?

He was a very underrated bowler. He is really obscure, most aussies wouldn't know who he is. After his brief Test stint where he came in as a replacement for an injured McGrath and took 7 wickets @ 20.28, he couldn't squeeze into a fully fit Australian squad. He sort of drifted off into nothingness, struggled to get a game for New South Wales and played club cricket with Balmain in Sydney. Sort of a short and sad story.

Last edited:
Andrew Zesers: played in the world cup in 1987. he is now my Coach for my school's fist XI.

he was the youngest aussie to reach 100 first class wickets, but had to retire at the age of 23 coz of shoulder issues! he could of been REALLY good

dtrain said:
Jamie Siddons - Arguably the best cricketer Australia has had to not play test cricket. Averaged 44.91 in First Class cricket, scored 35 hundreds and 53 fifties. Did represent Australia in 1 ODI, where he scored 32 off 37 deliveries.

wouldn't that be jamie cox?

Last edited:
Are you suggesting that they're the same person, or that Cox was more unlucky not to play a test. If it's the latter, I will reiterate the point that I used the word "arguably".

Users who are viewing this thread