The "Players Who Wish They Were Born In Another Era/Country" Thread

I think Gilbert Jessop could of had a better career if he was born in era of ODI and Twenty20 cricket today.

Big hitter and watched the ball closely, a very sharp fast bowler and lighting in the field.
He would of been suitable for ODI cricket.

It wasn't until 1910 that the law allowed sixes to count as the ball went over the boundry on the full, so he would have scored a few more runs had he been in another era.

Plus I think England's ODI team could use a cricketer like Gilbert Jessop. :p

Smack a hundred in 50 balls.
Open the bowling with a bit of pace nip a few out with the new ball.
Field at cover and run a few out.

Wouldn't be bad would it? ;)

Yeah he faced lobs like Wilfred Rhodes and George Hirst and one or two others on pretty poor pitches during the 1900's

Last edited:
I wish WG Grace was born in the 70s or 80s so i could see how he would fare on todays pitches and against todays bowlers.

Ditto, but with Bradman. I'd like to have seen how he would go against the Windies line up, and in current era.

I believe cricket envolves over time. Players get better due to techniques, better coaching, new traits & equipment. I'm not saying there is a significant difference in the space of 20-30 years but more 50-60.

I think in 50 odd years more people nowadays will be saying the competition is much stronger in 50 years time then it is at the present as I think most of the old-folk are to stubbon & think they hold to much pride to admit the quality these days pwns the quality in the 1930's or the 40's.

I agree, WG Grace & Bradman would not be as good today, but if they lived in this era they may be as they would have a different technique and better equipment to use.

And better pitches to play on. I reckon the pitches back then would not have been as good.

Yeh, so maybe is what more difficult back then. They would have awkward bounce to contend with. Sticky Wickets and god knows what else. Thanks god for covers, thats what i say.

Exactly because you'd never see anyone average over 50 in Test Cricket if all pitches that were played on were very poor & players were facing bowlers bowling 150kph without any head protection or quality equipment.

I believe cricket envolves over time. Players get better due to techniques, better coaching, new traits & equipment. I'm not saying there is a significant difference in the space of 20-30 years but more 50-60.

I think in 50 odd years more people nowadays will be saying the competition is much stronger in 50 years time then it is at the present as I think most of the old-folk are to stubbon & think they hold to much pride to admit the quality these days pwns the quality in the 1930's or the 40's.

Yeh, so maybe is what more difficult back then. They would have awkward bounce to contend with. Sticky Wickets and god knows what else. Thanks god for covers, thats what i say.

Exactly because you'd never see anyone average over 50 in Test Cricket if all pitches that were played on were very poor & players were facing bowlers bowling 150kph without any head protection or quality equipment.

Yes, I agree but uncovered pitches can help technique.
Anyone who can score runs on those are undoubtedly great players and we don't see that in modern cricket.

If I'm honest though coaches would be on his case about his stance now but with flat pitches, big bats and of course the law changed on sixes, he would of made more runs than he did in his day.

Actually, my dad thinks that uncovered pitches should come back in test matches since batsmen have all the protection now, so the bowlers have more of a chance.
I think myself it would be a negative move since the focus on cricket has been excitement over the past couple of years with the inclusion of Twenty20.

Thought I'd bump this thread. It's a good thread to talk about imo.

I bet there are a bunch of Aussie who wish they were born in a different era.

Add your own.

Don Bradman, Viv Richards, Garry Sobers, Graeme Pollock, Barry Richards, Ken Barrington, Jack Hobbs, Clyde Walcott, Sunil Gavaskar, Everton Weekes, Herbert Sutcliffe and Greg Chappell would run absolute riot in the modern game. In a game dominated by the bat, with a depletion in the stocks of class fast bowlers, alot of pitches offering nothing for the bowler, smaller boundaries, and better equipment they'd all be averaging well in excess of 50, and Bradman, I hate to think what his average would be if he was playing in this current era of fast bowlers, he would be unstoppable, almost as good as Pietersen.

Last edited:
Dinesh Karthik. Even if he had debuted 5 years or so earlier, he would've been a regular in the Indian team. In the years of Ajay Ratra and Sameer Dighe, KKD would've been the premiere 'keeper. But then came Dhoni to ruin it all! :noway

Cameron Cuffy, Wayne Daniel, Winston Davis, Winston Benjamin, Kenny Benjamin.

Some of the WI bowlers that were around when the WI had the best bowling attack and just couldn't get a spot in the team for a while. Could make a great bowling attack out of those guys but they had no luck.

Also would have really liked to see George Headley or at least some clips of him batting.

Users who are viewing this thread