The state of off-spin bowling/suspect actions/doosra bowlers worldwide

Still a big deal.

Not sure how really. Umpires now are free to call any bowler now if they suspect anything in action. So being called ain't necessarily a major "black mark", since Narine isn't be called for similar reasons to Ajmal/Senanyke for eg.[DOUBLEPOST=1412046503][/DOUBLEPOST]
I don't think Narine is helping himself by bowling in long sleeves. I didn't watch the game today so I don't know how weird his action was when he bowled but people have now started to question Ashwin. Ashwin surely has an unusual action but I still don't think he chucks and I am not being biased here. I also have the same opinon about Narine even though his action is much better than Ashwin. Ashwin sometimes also bowls with a slightly different action in T20 than what he does in tests.

Ye as we discussed before, that long sleeve has a stigma, so him & Ashwin would be wise to ditch it & use short sleeves in the future.

Not sure how really. Umpires now are free to call any bowler now if they suspect anything in action. So being called ain't necessarily a major "black mark", since Narine isn't be called for similar reasons to Ajmal/Senanyke for eg.[DOUBLEPOST=1412046503][/DOUBLEPOST]

While being called for suspect action is not the same as found guilty of chucking, but its still not exactly a non event. Ashwin next I guess. Off-spinners are under some serious scrutiny right now.

Well its officially a problem now that he has been banned. I think we may have a case where the umpires who are saying they suspect other aspect of Narine's action outside of the quicker ball could be wrong. They obviously have ICC backing to be brave & call any action that looks suspect - but this one doesn't smell right.

It will be interesting to see the results of Narine's bowling action. This is a massive blow for the Windies tour of India.

It will be interesting to see the results of Narine's bowling action. This is a massive blow for the Windies tour of India.
It sure is. He was our main bowler for this tour. On a positive note, that might give a chance to Benn to get into the ODI side for the first time after March 2011. That said, Narine was always going to be under the scanner given the variety he had. He should have take a leaf out of Ashwin's book and should have started playing in short sleeve jersey just to nullify the rumors. I hope he works on his faster delivery and not chuck it all together from his armory.

It sure is. He was our main bowler for this tour. On a positive note, that might give a chance to Benn to get into the ODI side for the first time after March 2011. That said, Narine was always going to be under the scanner given the variety he had. He should have take a leaf out of Ashwin's book and should have started playing in short sleeve jersey just to nullify the rumors. I hope he works on his faster delivery and not chuck it all together from his armory.
yep need him back as soon as possible. South Africa Tour and World Cup around the corner.

After the IPL, Kolkata spinner (who was rather generous with his fielding yesterday in the final), Surya Kr. Yadav has also been reported for his action. It seems that ICC has given the Umps a free hand in all of this, and anyone who they feel is over the line is cracked down upon.

While one would argue its long overdue, but perhaps its now getting to the point where it is now putting doubts in the bowlers. Ashwin next I guess.

N Srinivasan becomes chairman and spinners start to roll.

Ashwin looks alright to me, so does narine though it would greatly benefit if he uses short sleeves.

Ashwin looks alright to me, so does narine though it would greatly benefit if he uses short sleeves.

To be honest even Narine didn't look questionable, and yet ...

Right now as it is there was a dearth of quality spinners. In the era just gone by there was Warne, Murali and Kumble, and in this gen while Ajmal, Narine are good they are no where near having the record those three had.

To add to this there are no leg spinners playing today anyway. All the best spinners are off spinners Ajmal, Narine, Ashwin, Herath.

Herath is a very orthodox spinner, so I guess he is not in any real danger. Ajmal banned, Narine reported.

That leaves Ashwin. I think the crackdown is a good idea, but I think its gone a bit over board now.

I'm less concerned about Narine because he's a finger spinner. So he gets his variations from the fingers instead of the elbow. The initial concern with him was just about his quicker delivery. But I reckon he'll be right.

To be honest even Narine didn't look questionable, and yet ...

ya narine looks alright.

Ajmal banned, Narine reported.

That leaves Ashwin. I think the crackdown is a good idea, but I think its gone a bit over board now.

I do think its a good idea to go overboard a bit cause then only the boards will groom youngsters properly, and identify flaws earlier instead of in the international stage. I mean dearth of good spinners is also a bit down to these mystery guys dominating and all youngsters wanting to dart it at the batsman instead of relying on other skills.so its necessary evil especially timing of it just before WC is bound to rub wrong on a few but on the whole good for cricket.

I actually think thats the last we will see of Ajmal internationally, too much work for him to do. Seen some youtube clips of his bowling in games where his arm is straightened from pretty much 45 degrees. I think the crack down is good for the game and long overdue.

Users who are viewing this thread