The state of off-spin bowling/suspect actions/doosra bowlers worldwide

Saeed Ajmal remains under scrutiny as International Cricket Council prepares to attach sensors to bowlers - Telegraph

"Testing will begin next week on wearable sensors that can be used during a match to identify if bowlers are throwing, following the suspension of Saeed Ajmal.

An International Cricket Council spokesman confirmed the third and final phase of testing, which has been ongoing for more than two years, would be carried out at the National Cricket Centre in Brisbane where Ajmal’s action was assessed recently by independent analysts and deemed to break the 15-degree tolerance for straightening of the elbow.

Players will wear two sensors on the back of the arm near the elbow which are small enough to be used during a match. The inertial sensors use similar technology to that found in iPads, mobile phones and car-crash impact-detection systems.

It is thought that examining bowlers playing in a match situation will produce more accurate results than current laboratory testing. It is seen by the ICC as an important step in helping bowlers to monitor their own actions and correct any flaws, with the sensors user-friendly and able to be used in training sessions.

The protocol for deciding which bowlers wear the new sensors will be decided once the technology is deemed ready. Bowlers could be chosen by umpires who suspect an illegal action or picked at random, similar to the way players are chosen to give urine samples to test for doping.

At the moment there is no time frame put on its introduction but ideally it would come before the World Cup given the recent spate of suspensions for bowlers"

...so that's Ajmal done, then? He's averaging 37 degrees, which is way, way over the limit even factoring in a "medical condition"; which shouldn't give you double the tolerance of the vast majority of bowlers. He's planning to appeal, but I can't see how that can be considered since its so far past the limit...

Samiuddin suggesting there may be no advantage in chucking is just being biased and clutching at straws...there is a huge advantage in chucking...I do it in the backyard and get massive revolutions on the ball with a doosra action.

All this talk of batsman having it easy is crap, yeah the bats are better, but crowds want sixes...if we want more even contests we need to prepare better pitches, end of story. Too much ODI and T20 cricket has lead to the flattening of pitches because spectators want to see bat dominated contests in those matches.

Ye well said, I see a good few cricket fans trying to use the batting friendly dymanics of modern cricket as an excuse for such bowlers. As you say ICC just got make pitches better, structure the game better so that we don't have so much T20/ODI cricket instead of tests and just move the damn boundaries back to where they used to be.

...so that's Ajmal done, then? He's averaging 37 degrees, which is way, way over the limit even factoring in a "medical condition"; which shouldn't give you double the tolerance of the vast majority of bowlers. He's planning to appeal, but I can't see how that can be considered since its so far past the limit...

Should be really. I'm not surprised by the results, deep down I've always had severe reservations about his action - I would always cringe watching him bowl in the last few years.

The thing that now comes into the attention is the previous ICC committee who were responsible for calling out the suspect action. I mean were they drunk on not noticing so many suspect actions going on in international cricket? Especially after what they said about Ajmal's arm bending almost double than what the rule states.

Also i think those Ajmal findings are the 1st time fans and media have actually seen the bio mec's test results for any bowler in the lab. I'm not even sure when the Murali saga was at its peak, if we ever saw such a detailed over by over breakdown...

Sad to see his career come to a halt, especially when he was playing so well. But I hope this results in the revival of classic off-spin. Nothing beats a spinner beating a batsman through his "gate".

I knew his action was dodgy but not to this extent mainly cause he had been cleared before in 2009 i was only expecting him to may be pushing the limits a bit, even for chucking 45 degrees is way too much to tolerate and its so unfair to the batsman who have lost their wickets to this, and allowed this to be part of the game for so long. Good thing this happened atleast now or we may have had a pack of such bowlers exploiting things in another 5 years.

Also i think those Ajmal findings are the 1st time fans and media have actually seen the bio mec's test results for any bowler in the lab. I'm not even sure when the Murali saga was at its peak, if we ever saw such a detailed over by over breakdown...
The science itself wasn't big enough news, I guess: here is the report from 2004.

I don't think that they'll start calling part timers covering injured guys unless they're good bowlers - if they're bowling one over a year in a T20 and it goes for 20, then there's no real point in calling them...

Users who are viewing this thread