The state of off-spin bowling/suspect actions/doosra bowlers worldwide

The problem with using the carrom ball as an alternative to the doosra is while it's a wrong 'un, it's much easier to pick hence why you don't see it having much of an effect in the Test arena where concentration levels are much higher than that of the limited overs game.

Of the off spinners that deploy the carrom ball as their wrong un instead of a doosra, Narine hasn't had much of an impact in the Test game, Mendis was off to a good start and eventually the batsmen started picking him (not just in Tests) and he's been completely wiped off except for the odd game here and there, Ashwin is the only one that's had any sustained level of success and that's because he's probably got a better off spinner than the other 2, and even he has struggled to make much of a mark outside of Asia.

Hmm i'm not sure carron ball having less effect. I forgot to mention the real carrom ball inventor Herath, who did so in the 1999 series vs Australia. He has certainly been very effective with it, since being SRIs # 1 spinner, since Murali left.

To some degree Ashwin & Narine haven't been as successful in tests as ODIs/T20 but i'm not sure if that has to do with their bowling of the carrom ball to be fair. Probably a bit more complicated than that i think. Both India & Windies selectors, for strange reasons have been creating strange reasons not to pick them in their test XIs.

Mendis yea he has certainly gone off the ball especially in tests, all his variations (carrom ball included) have been seemingly decoded in the longer format.

Last edited:
News and Analysis : Pakistan news | Samiuddin: Especially worrying if Ajmal's offbreak under scrutiny | Cricket videos, MP3, podcasts, cricket audio | ESPN Cricinfo

Depending on when the ICC says specifically if it's Ajmal's doosra, off-break or BOTH deliveries they suspect - Samiuddin's revelation that he had a car accident in his early 20s, which probably affects his action - could be the thing that saves him in end, similarly to how Murali's birth defect did for him, as this Ajmal saga unfolds.

Actually ICC is in crackdown mode. its no secret that to bowl the doosra the arm has to really bend during delivery. The influx of Doosra bowlers are likely to get a hit.

the thing is what he is saying is likely to happen, making it 20 degree, murali was an exception, but to make an rule around it is unfair, hope they dont do it again. In that regard even though moeen ali got more wickets than he should have got, have to laud him for not using doosra and showing that keeping it simple is still effective and you dont need to be swann to do it.

They really are cracking down on suspect actions now.

I would be really surprised if Saeed Ajmal's doosra does not get banned. His doosra looks extremely dodgy and if it does get banned, that will be a big blow for Pakistan. We all saw how ordinary Shane Shillingford looked once his doosra got banned.

They really are cracking down on suspect actions now.

All the years watching Utseya bowl, at times i've noticed hints of a jerk - but i never thought it was serious enough to be reported. But of course I have seen him bowl in the ongoing tr-series so maybe the umpires noticed something & are continuing with the worldwide consistency of the crackdown.

If Utseya is going in, they had better report Waller Cricket - Jiffier gifs through HTML5 Video Conversion.

We'll just have to wait and see who gets cleared. Maybe they just need to call in every off spinner and establish a baseline. It certainly seems less offensive, which tends to become the issue with chucking, that any accusation is an attack on one's moral character or the entire nation they play for. I tend to think a limit where anything less can't be seen by a naked eye is a good one, one that ought to be functional below international level; however the nature of law is that if it's not working you have to change the law, not the people.

So let me get this straight. The arm must come over straight and not bent for it to be a legitimate bowling action? Is that correct?

Users who are viewing this thread