The state of off-spin bowling/suspect actions/doosra bowlers worldwide

You are allowed to bowl with a bent arm, you just can't straighten it more than 15 degrees while in your bowling action

The two key positions are when the arm first reaches shoulder height and the point of release. If the reduction in flexion (in other words, extension) is more than 15 degrees, it's no good.

What a joke, I find this really amusing that they are all of a sudden cracking down on actions yet they haven't given a toss for the last 20 years. Oh well, at least things are a bit easier for the poor batsman now..

What a joke, I find this really amusing that they are all of a sudden cracking down on actions yet they haven't given a toss for the last 20 years. Oh well, at least things are a bit easier for the poor batsman now..

A lot of things about cricket have been a joke for the last 20 years or more though & how the ICC has handled the illegal/action issue since the Murali saga in 1998 is just one off them. So we should give the authorities credit for at least trying to correct this issue.

Batsmen have a lot in their favour, but as i've mentioned before, bowlers don't need to chuck or bowl the questionable doosra to level the playing field. Guys like Narine, Ashwin, Herath has showed that the "carron ball" can have similar effect on batsmen just like the "doosra" & it is bowled without a dodgy looking action. So all is not lost for the finger spinners...

Every now and then it does get to a breaking point, like back in the late 50s- early 60s with Tony Lock and Ian Meckiff. Meckiff took the fall, but Lock was a proper big name player who chucked his quicker ball and was lucky to survive the apocalypse.

I always note how players actually get suspended from bowling in first class cricket in Australia; whereas I find few cases elsewhere. So the work of the boards and their umpires is really where the issue lies. If the ICC is lax about it, then there's incentive for boards to not merely permit chucking, but foster it, in order to have an advantage in international cricket. Now we see the opposite, it could be really catastrophic for teams to have been relying on players whose actions are either suspect from the get-go or have been allowed to degrade due to years without scrutiny. And arguably, it's the fault of the boards rather than the bowlers, but the bowlers will bare the brunt.

Seems PCB is going to appeal against it and risk getting ajmal banned for a year.

Well I was expecting his doosra to get banned because it looked very dodgy but did not expect his off spin to get banned as well.

ya that was a surprise, the explanation given by PCB is that he has the bend due to an accident it seems.I wouldnt mind giving him an exception if its true but hope the rule doesnt get changed to accommodate him

Every now and then it does get to a breaking point, like back in the late 50s- early 60s with Tony Lock and Ian Meckiff. Meckiff took the fall, but Lock was a proper big name player who chucked his quicker ball and was lucky to survive the apocalypse.

Ha ye i've always found the Tony Lock saga to be on the extraordinary dumb cases in cricket history. When one looks at old footage of his action, he just didn't just his quicker ball, his entire action was terrible. The establishment/MCC at the time banned Meckiff as u said, plus fellow aussie Gordon Rorke, S African G Giffen & Kiwi Grant Barlett (spell check all surnames ha) - so how they let Lock have a career was astonishing.

Because especially during the 50s when ENG were the # 1 team, Lock presence as Jim Laker's back-up prevented Johnny Wardle from playing more tests. Wardle as the beautiful article from a few years ago highlighted - Johnny Wardle and the importance of being memorable | Opinion | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo was pretty much one of the most skill-full spinners of all-time & easily the most unique & possibly the best spinner ENG has produced. His ability to bowl left-arm orthodox & chinaman would have been marveled at in modern times.

But quite amusingly, then ENG captain Peter May actually used to warn him not to bowl is "chinaman" style. :lol cricket has some strange tales i tell ya...

^^

Ha. TBH of all the bowlers that have been called this year, i'm slightly surprised by Al-Amin & Utseya being called, but ah well. Still expecting Hafeez to be called...

Samiuddin suggesting there may be no advantage in chucking is just being biased and clutching at straws...there is a huge advantage in chucking...I do it in the backyard and get massive revolutions on the ball with a doosra action.

All this talk of batsman having it easy is crap, yeah the bats are better, but crowds want sixes...if we want more even contests we need to prepare better pitches, end of story. Too much ODI and T20 cricket has lead to the flattening of pitches because spectators want to see bat dominated contests in those matches.

Reactions: War
Bowl at Boycs : Bowl at Boycs | 'Umpires not afraid to report chucking anymore' | Cricket videos, MP3, podcasts, cricket audio | ESPN Cricinfo

GB: It's a ticklish problem. Saaed Ajmal - lovely boy, I love watching him bowl. But quite honestly, to me he looks as if he throws it.
lol

The ICC allowed to throw it upto 15 degrees. If you throw it 13 degrees then you throw it, simple to me. I don't believe anybody can bowl the doosra properly on a length at a decent pace without bending and straightening the arm, which is throwing. Now the ICC, for whatever reason - and whether it helped Murali and Sri Lanka nobody can prove that - allow everybody, every bowler to bend and straighten the arm 15 degrees. They don't make the laws of cricket, that's made by MCC. But they can adapt the laws to make their own rules for international cricket and that's what they do. And they made this rule for international cricket. That's not a lot of cricket, that's not the law for club cricketers and anything else. ICC have gone down the road with the use of technology, the guy in Perth at his headquarters where they have everything, and they say they proved that most bowlers throughout history bent and straightened their arms. Well, I'm not sure I believe that. Maybe they say it to try and prove their own advice to ICC that everybody should be allowed a certain amount of bend and straightening their arm. I find it impossible to believe that throughout history many people have bent and straightened their arms. I've seen some fantastic actions. I think it's besmirching some of the players of the past. Maybe these boffins with the technology are trying to convince us all that they've got a job for life. They want to convince us that they are always going to send players and test their actions, so they are always going to be in business.

Reactions: War

Users who are viewing this thread