This is Why AFL is Great.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
AFL is an Australian sport in a low population society. Its a complex game therefore not easy to understand, hence why its not a global sport. And to say other countries apart from Australia dont play AFL is also an un-educated 'guess, heaps do, and most have leagues (hence the AFL international cup starting soon). Except they are no where near the standard to compete against an "Australian side".

Its easy as to pick up. I played it for sport in school 2 years ago cus my friends were, its not that hard. Soccer is easy to understand but its hard to actually play in a game. I was better at afl when I first started in school sport then I am in soccer.

Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors
I'm not a fan of either (in fact I hate both) but I think American Football is a tougher sport then AFL.

Lmao. Americans are pussies. Us Aussies don't need protection.

Gilly Fan added 7 Minutes and 48 Seconds later...

Happening less and less from what I hear. They used to do it in cricket during the intervals and after the end of the match (and during play if they were losing in some countries ;)). I remember playing with a tennis ball and bat on the Oval when I was 8 or 9. I've also got a photo of me touching the stumps at Lancaster Park in 2002 as part of a bet I took on, taken during the tea break. ;)

That's because if you go on these days it's a massive fine and a big ban.

The AFL were warning everyone that they'd cop a $6000 fine if they went on. But the fans decided to go along with the tradition and jump the fence. In the end the security guards don't care and they had the gates open letting anyone on. If they did fine the 6,000 or so that were on the ground, the AFL would've made $36,000,000.

Here are some other videos.

(7:34)

Last edited by a moderator:

punterpupnroy

International Cricketer
I'm not a fan of either (in fact I hate both) but I think American Football is a tougher sport then AFL.

AFL doesnt where padding and helmet. In terms of roughness it is the same thing except you have nothing but your own flesh and mind to defend yourself....

(and skill):D

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Happening less and less from what I hear. They used to do it in cricket during the intervals and after the end of the match (and during play if they were losing in some countries ;)). I remember playing with a tennis ball and bat on the Oval when I was 8 or 9. I've also got a photo of me touching the stumps at Lancaster Park in 2002 as part of a bet I took on, taken during the tea break. ;)
Yeah in many sports you used to be able to run onto the ground during intervals to have a kick, in the AFL you're not allowed to at any time except for in Geelong after the game, but when a player kicks 100 goals everyone just runs on and celebrates.

aus5892 added 1 Minutes and 56 Seconds later...

If AFL was that good it would have moved to other countries, there's a reason it's only played in Australia ;)

:p
Yeah, because no one can understand what the hell we're saying whenever we try to explain it.

tassietiger

International Cricketer
The best thing about aussie rules is that it rewards a good effort. In soccer you either get a goal or you don't, in rugby you are either over the line or not over the line, but in aussie rules, if you don't get a goal, we say that 'that was a close try, have a point anyway.' I love that.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Yeah, because no one can understand what the hell we're saying whenever we try to explain it.

If that was the case, then Cricket wouldn't have moved to other countries. There's so much random names for things in cricket, LBW, Deep Backward Square Leg, Silly Mid Off, On Drive, Cut, Hook, there's a whole different cricketing language. This therefore must say something about the sport, either that or the Aussies are the only ones barmy enough to play this so called massively dangerous sport. ;)

Cricketdude

Chairman of Selectors
If that was the case, then Cricket wouldn't have moved to other countries. There's so much random names for things in cricket, LBW, Deep Backward Square Leg, Silly Mid Off, On Drive, Cut, Hook, there's a whole different cricketing language. This therefore must say something about the sport, either that or the Aussies are the only ones barmy enough to play this so called massively dangerous sport. ;)

The reason it hasnt transfered is because we are just some country stranded in no where. If it was Europe I guarantee it would be a much much bigger sport. Its like European handball thats spread and thats not very great. In Cricket and your new they say go to Third Man and they point to where it is. In AFL you have to explain what a Rover or whatever has to do and so on.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Or I was joking...

It didn't spread because we had no political influence when sports were being spread. England controlled half the world when cricket began spreading, and by the time Australia were seriously independent no one was really interested in new sports and Australia wasn't the country that could take it overseas.

.::Stevo::.

International Coach

oh god.... back to soccer:noway

.::Stevo::.

International Coach
Yeh, its pretty pointless explaining to foreigners about our game. So they may as well STFU and go watch soccer :)

Users who are viewing this thread