Tournment Ends

India will just go along batting as it doesn't matter anyway as they are already one nil up and Sri Lanka have no chance of winning.They'll just let Sehwag bat on and let him try to break Lara's record.
Don't forget that this is the third day's play. You say "they'll just let Sehwag bat" as if they are sacrificing a possibility of a win by letting Sehwag aim for the 400, when that is quite clearly not the case.

I dont think India will be negative unless they are pushed to that situation. Right now, we have a 50 run lead with 3 days to go. Even if Sehwag gets out first ball today (Day 3), Dravid, Sachin, Laxman, Yuvraj and Dhoni can take India along at close to 4 runs per over which will mean that we will get another 360 runs from the day if we bat through the day. That will give us a lead of 410 runs. If we survive till then, we should bat a little of the first session on Day 5, get a lead of 500 and put SL in to survive 5 and a half sessions of play. By that time if the pitch starts getting more turn, we should be in prime position to exploit it and get the 2-0 result. Even if the pitch doesnt get much turn, 5 and a half sessions should be enough time to try and force a result. Also by then, it would be impossible for the Lankans to bat so well and set a target for us. Or Dhoni could also say "Try to get a 450 lead by the end of Day 3" so that they can put the Lankans in to bat the last two days and try to overcome it and set a target for India (if they can, which would be next to impossible).

If Sri Lanka has to win, they have to do something really very special with the ball today

Last edited:
If Sehwag lasts a mere 12 overs or so I think it'll be enough for me. Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman and co can take us to 650/700 and we can declare with about 15 overs left. Let Sreesanth and Zak have a quick jab at the Sri Lankan top order and try to knock a few wickets down.

Hoping for a Viru quadruple though...but let him get to three hundred first.

Don't forget that this is the third day's play. You say "they'll just let Sehwag bat" as if they are sacrificing a possibility of a win by letting Sehwag aim for the 400, when that is quite clearly not the case.

Why wouldn't you do that. If you're 1 nil up and the opposition looks nowhere near winning why not let that batsmen try to go for a high score or record?

Why wouldn't you do that. If you're 1 nil up and the opposition looks nowhere near winning why not let that batsmen try to go for a high score or record?
You didn't understand my statement. India can leave themselves 2 full days to bowl out Sri Lanka and Sehwag could still get the record if he stays in. Since he's scoring so quickly, Dhoni doesn't have to "let that batsman try to go for a high score or record". By the time Dhoni should be thinking about declaring for a win, Sehwag'll be out or be long past the record.

Even if Sehwag was out the first ball of the day, India would anyway try to bat till the end of the Day and try to amass as big a lead as possible. Its not as if Sehwag's records is going to make a big difference to India's declaration plans (thats because of the rate at which he has batted, which is sensational). Record or no record, India should try to bat out the day and get as big a lead so that they do not bat again on this pitch.

Man. When I left Sehwag, he was on 53. I went out for the night, only to come home to find he is on 284 NOT OUT? I don't have any adjectives that would do justice to this man and his batting.

I agree with whoever mentioned before that if Sehwag is around for the first 12 overs or so, I'd be happy. Just want him to be the first to get 3 triple centuries in Text cricket. I don't want to get my hopes up for the record highest score. Not yet anyway.

Can't wait for the resumption of play.

Sehwag to get a 1st baller , you heard it here folks

Noooooooooo *falls to knees, looks to the sky for God's mercy*

You're probably right, dude. Just like Dravid's 177 in the earlier Test match. But yesterday Sehwag was not only in the zone, he was simply uncontainable. It was one of those very special innings you see only once in 5 years.

I wonder if a shower and a good night's sleep has actually done him some harm and taken him back out of the zone, thus rendering him more "mortal" :)

Give Dravid some credit here though. Has a chance of registering his third test century on the trot!

Users who are viewing this thread