09:30 local | 13:30 GMT 5th ODI - India vs Sri Lanka
Queens Park Oval, Port of Spain
Tue Jul 9
09:30 local | 13:30 GMT 6th ODI - West Indies vs Sri Lanka
Thu Jul 11
09:30 local | 13:30 GMT Final ODI - TBC vs TBC

So right after the Champion trophy, there is a tri-series starting in West Indies. The other two teams are India and Sri Lanka. West Indies were one of the favorites to win the champions trophy because of their strong batting and a decent bowling attack but they had a rather surprising exit because of the D/L rules. Sri Lanka were scratchy in their first game against NZ in the champions trophy but they have made a strong comeback afterwards and right now, they are on verge of entering the semi finals. India has surprised everybody with the way they have played so far in the champions trophy. They have gone with a young squad and most of the players have done well. So hopefully it will be a good series which can help ODI format become a little more popular.

India has decided to go with the ame squad: India in West Indies 2013 : India squad unchanged for West Indies tri-series | Cricket News | Celkon Mobile Cup | ESPN Cricinfo

India Squad: MS Dhoni (capt/wk), Shikhar Dhawan, M Vijay, Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, Dinesh Karthik (wk), Suresh Raina, Ravindra Jadeja, R Ashwin, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Ishant Sharma, Umesh Yadav, Shami Ahmed, Amit Mishra, Vinay Kumar
In: Shami Ahmed
Out: Irfan Pathan

Sri Lanka Squad: Angelo Mathews (capt), Dinesh Chandimal (vice-capt), Upul Tharanga, Kusal Perera, Kumar Sangakkara, Mahela Jayawardene, Lahiru Thirimanne, Jeevan Mendis, Ajantha Mendis, Lasith Malinga, Rangana Herath, Nuwan Kulasekara, Shaminda Eranga, Sachithra Senanayake, Dilhara Lokuhettige
In: Upul Tharanga, Ajantha Mendis
Out: Tillakaratne Dilshan, Thisara Perera

West Indies Squad: Dwayne Bravo (capt), Chris Gayle, Johnson Charles, Darren Bravo, Marlon Samuels, Kieron Pollard, Devon Smith, Darren Sammy, Denesh Ramdin (wk), Sunil Narine, Tino Best, Ravi Rampaul, Kemar Roach
Out: Ramnaresh Sarwan, Jason Holder

Last edited:

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Would have loved to see more new faces in this!!
I guess the Zimbabwe series is right after the tri-series, so maybe then, would see the likes of Pujara etc. in the team!!
Do post the other 2 team line-ups too. :cheers

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Would have loved to see more new faces in this!!
I guess the Zimbabwe series is right after the tri-series, so maybe then, would see the likes of Pujara etc. in the team!!

Yes! As you said, they will probably give chance to someone like Pujara and Rahane in the Zimbabwe tour.

Do post the other 2 team line-ups too. :cheers

The other 2 teams have not announced their squads yet.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Pujara or Rahane can be used as backup openers for the Rohit-Dhawan combo. I don't see Murali Vijay as that backup option. These guys are better equipped in technique than Vijay to be those openers. And having the likes of Pujara and Rahane will keep Rohit and Dhawan on their toes. Wish we see Pujara or Rahane soon in the ODI side (esp. Pujara).

Well, this could be a boring series but should definitely be better than a bilateral series. WI is a good team and should be a handful in their backyard. SL, well we don't know when they play well and when they don't. India should be overwhelming favorites for this tournament with the wickets being expected to be slow and low which will cater to the likes of Jadeja, Ashwin and the spinners. Also, Rohit has done supremely well before in West Indies, so he should be waiting for this. Definitely see India continuing their dominance.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I should be in trinidad for the final.

troll3y

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
Sri Lanka
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Great to see a tri-series happening, especially where one wouldn't usually be played. They shouldn't be overdone, but I hope they don't die out completely.

Given the current forms of each team, this should be a cracking series. I can see the West Indies coming out all guns blazing, possibly with the feeling that they may have a point to prove after missing the CT13 semi-finals.

S

Satan666

Pitches in the Caribbean have been indifferent since recent times, most of the pitches are slow now, the spinners may determine the outcome of this tri series, how good is the new look Indian lineup against spin?

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Pitches in the Caribbean have been indifferent since recent times, most of the pitches are slow now, the spinners may determine the outcome of this tri series, how good is the new look Indian lineup against spin?

You should really start following cricket man.

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
A lot has been said about Shami Ahmed's ability, but I'm *very* skeptical when it comes to new Indian seamers. We all know what happened to the 10,349 who came before him.

I don't think there is any need to play Pujara in the ODIs. Certainly he has a place for himself in the Test XI. Kohli is good as a #3 in limited overs. Rahane has a better chance of breaking into the ODI team, and he might suit our needs better. I think this tour should be considered proving grounds for Dinesh Kartik, who seems to look great in inconsequential games and then fails in the ones that count. Suresh Raina also has unpleasant memories of the West Indies. Rohit Sharma's spot is always in doubt, the poor guy. I think there are interesting times ahead with the Indian team.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I would persist with Rohit Sharma for a good amount of time in that opening spot. The reason why I say that is, a certain Sachin Tendulkar and Saurav Ganguly changed their batting positions and started opening for India, and became the most successful opening ODI combo in history. Rohit Sharma might also find his bearings as an opener. And so far, he has been very successful at that.

Dinesh Karthik too needs a rope now. Apart from Dhawan and Rohit, the rest didn't get to do much in the Champions trophy which means that Karthik needs more chances. He is an excellent fielder too, and can take up gloves whenever necessary. Its interesting that they opted for Shami as a replacement for Irfan. Shami has far more pace than Irfan, but on the slower wickets of WI, pace might not be advantageous. At some point of time, Pujara and/or Rahane need to be considered for the opening spots, to create competition for that opening spots. But for now, no tinkering necessary. Waiting to see how Jaddu Sir and Ashu (Ashwin) bowl in WI on those slower wickets. Dhoni will obviously use Ashwin as a weapon vs Gayle.

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Even though Karthik is going through a purple patch, I'd like to have Yuvraj at that position instead him. He fills the only void left in the team. Can provide good part time overs and lusty blows down the order.

Users who are viewing this thread