Tri-series in West Indies - June/July 2013

S

Satan666

Haha, a paltry 229 scored by the inns, WI if they dont stuff up can get there and bring down the Indians back to the ground where they belong!

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Without starting an argument, I sometimes feel Indian batting is quite weak. I mean Kohli is amazing (no point arguing) and usually an opener helps him get a 120 odd partnership. But the middle order is not that successful. Raina is a sub-continent player. Dhoni is a great batsmen, but I always feel he plays for an good average. Jadeja seems a finisher, but his bowling is up with the best. Karthik is hit and miss. It is always one of the top order that makes a big score, and the other players add bits and pieces. Today Kohli and Dhawan failed, and India were unable to get past 250. Just what I think.

P.S. Then again I am a Pakistani supporter, so I can't comment on batting :lol

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
P.S. Then again I am a Pakistani supporter, so I can't comment on batting :lol

You can comment on middle-order batting for sure - got one of the best middle-order batsmen in the game today playing for you.

Anyway, I kind of agree with you that our batting is top-heavy, but I think that is the ODI formula. In your middle order you have hitters and finishers and neither of those kind of batsmen are very good at building an innings. Raina likes the ball coming onto the bat, where he can step forward and hit through the line, but two-paced, seaming tracks don't encourage that kind of strokeplay. Dhoni, on the other hand, I think is good enough to play his game anywhere, but if his hitting doesn't come off, he winds up with an innings like today - a platform but no acceleration.

In any case, I cannot think of a successful ODI side that is dependent on the middle order for a bulk of its runs. In Tests, your batsman are all equally responsible, but I think in ODI's, a team's batting lives and dies with the top 3.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
I also find Indian bowling is very reliant on Ravindra Jadeja picking up middle order wickets. The day he gets some tap, other bowlers just look out of it. Ashwin has too many variations, and it just becomes annoying watching him bowl.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
A close defeat for India, but this will do good for them.... Can't keep winning game after game. But this game shows the value of Dhoni's captaincy. After reading Cricinfo's comments during the game, seems like Dhoni's captaincy was missed sorely in the middle.

The good thing is, we have a backup in Dinesh Karthik for the gloves. But who is the backup for the captaincy? But good that Dhoni can get some rest even if its forced.

cricketmaniac

School Cricketer
Not a good reception of Guests by WI :p A superb game of cricket and in the end WI just managed to sneak through

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Couldn't watch Windies innings due to obvious reasons. Got notified that the match was won by them . Should have been close, but it is a shame we couldn't pick that one wicket!:facepalm
Although games like these are good for cricket. Wonderful to see that this guy Johnson Charles made almost run a ball, on such a pitch where the ball wasn't coming nicely onto the bat. Unlucky not to get a century there!
Finally, Darren Bravo didn't get stuck in the 30-40 range, I would love to see him get more further from that.
Barring these two and short and effective innings from Sammy, their middle order looks in complete shambles. Had it not been India's bowlers, they might not even have come close. Atleast one more batsman from the middle needs to take up the responsibility to take them through, otherwise they are not going to get any success when the openers fail!

For now, full marks to the Windies :clap :thumbs

KrishnamurthiN

Club Captain
West Indies Held Their nerves well and have sneaked victory over India by a wicket! Good batting by Johnson Charles and Darren Bravo who put the windies in a position to win.... India Needs to think about measures on how to stabilize its middle order now. 230 looked good for India as it looked like they won't even get 200 given the rate at which they were playing but it was a total not good enough in the end.... Once again hats off to Windies for the victory!:thumbs

S

Satan666

A close defeat for India, but this will do good for them.... Can't keep winning game after game. But this game shows the value of Dhoni's captaincy. After reading Cricinfo's comments during the game, seems like Dhoni's captaincy was missed sorely in the middle.

The good thing is, we have a backup in Dinesh Karthik for the gloves. But who is the backup for the captaincy? But good that Dhoni can get some rest even if its forced.

Hypocrytical. Remember you were calling for Dhoni's head during the series against the English, now you revere him as the best.

India certainly missed MSD in the bowling inns but Kholi did a great job with the bowlers, however most of the WI batsmen gave away their wickets, poor bowling by the Indians was masked by this. The Indian batting was horrible, not surprised though the only guys in that lineup whom can bat good is Kholi and MSD, to an extent Raina.

Thanks WIndies for ending the Indians streak of 9 painful ODI wins, must add the number one ranked team, ICC Champions and World Champs Team India have been beaten by the seventh ranked team, haha what a fallacy!

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Whatever type the pitch maybe,West Indies tracks are bouncy and provide some movement.230 was always a very below par score.West Indies dominated the game fully,maybe India pulled things up during the last few overs but eventually West Indies won.I am very dissapointed with India's batting in these muddy moving tracks.

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
West Indies won the game and they deserved to win. They should've won by a much bigger margin but their batsmen insisted on throwing it away and making it interesting. Stars of the day, for me, were Tino Best and Kemar Roach - those guys batted with such determination that even I wanted them to win.

On the flipside, our batting didn't do such a good job in this game. Rohit wound up the top scorer for the innings, but once again threw away his wicket when he was set to make a real impact on the game. 93 games for Rohit now, only 2 hundreds as opposed to 15 fifties. I know, some of it is because he's been coming in at 4 or 5, but you have to expect a better conversion rate from someone who has as much talent as him. The middle order was okay, I thought, but we lost wickets at absolutely wrong times, just when the batsmen looked set to hit the next gear - full credit to Roach and Best for getting our batsmen out just as they were starting to look dangerous.

Dinesh Karthik. Don't like him. Never have. Not a good batsman - hardly ever comes good when it matters. Not a good keeper. He's been around the international scene for at least four or five years now and has never looked good enough. Surely we can try some other options.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Dhoni looks like he will be out of the entire series. Not good signs for India!

Don't understand the dislike for Dinesh Karthik. He batted well this innings to pull India back along with Rohit. He has been showing good signs of being that stabilizing factor in the middle order, and added to that his glovework can be handy in situations like this current series where Dhoni looks to be indisposed.

----------

Hypocrytical. Remember you were calling for Dhoni's head during the series against the English, now you revere him as the best.

I have never wanted Dhoni's head in ODI's. In tests, yes. Even today, I have my doubts on Dhoni. But as far as ODI's goes, Dhoni is arguably the best ODI player of his generation and his ODI captaincy is far far far more better and good than his test or T20 captaincy.

KrishnamurthiN

Club Captain
Yes. If he is out then who will be the player in terms of batting in the middle order that India can depend on in his absence?...

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK

Users who are viewing this thread