Warne-Muralidaran Trophy (Australia in Sri Lanka) Aug-Sep 2011

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Not like Johnson I guess, usually if he fires in one discipline he fires in the other. Poor way to get out considering the jaffers this wicket has install for you, still hard to be critical of him after his spell.

ferg512

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I haven't seen anything from this game, but is the pitch just playing really bad? I wouldn't call it bad myself these kinds of games will keep test cricket alive and kicking.

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
I was hoping for Lyon to do well. We need more quality spinners. Sangakarra as your first wicket in a Test match, and that too on the 1st ball. Great to see:clap

Now for a Hughes century.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I haven't seen anything from this game, but is the pitch just playing really bad? I wouldn't call it bad myself these kinds of games will keep test cricket alive and kicking.

It's a real dust bowl, spinning miles, keeping low and offering reverse swing. In saying that alot of the wickets have been thrown away but there have also been good ones.

Num

Club Cricketer
Clarke taking an attacking approach against the spinners. :clap The batsmen may as well play with conviction and score runs whilst they're in as opposed to shutting up shop and eventually getting out to a good ball, given the way the pitch is playing.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Says it all when Dilshan is causing problems. Good use of the DRS there by Clarke. This would be one good ODI knock let alone a Test one.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Wasn't this the same Galle turf, that resulted in only 21 wickets over five days against India, a year back?

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Lyon's action reminds me a lot of Gareth Batty, since he just moves side-on at the point of delivery. He's not a big spinner of the ball but he looks pretty accurate and he can certainly do a job. Australia will need to stick with now while they build there side up.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^Yep, same side for the 3 Tests would be ideal. Luckily Lyon took 5 so he'll definitely get the full series now.

Clarke taking an attacking approach against the spinners. :clap The batsmen may as well play with conviction and score runs whilst they're in as opposed to shutting up shop and eventually getting out to a good ball, given the way the pitch is playing.

I enjoyed watching him play (as usual;)) - and his innings may prove to be very valuable, but I found it interesting that as soon as Herath came over the wicket Clarke had no idea. Had a very ambitious cut shot that was dropped by Mahela at slip and a couple of balls later he out was trying to sweep a ball that he wasn't anywhere near the pitch of. He's got something to work on before next game, because I don't think Herath will forget too quickly. Clarke's a lovely player of spin, but if he's not careful he could become a bit KPish or maybe Sehwagy, where he fancies his chances against spin so much that he plays recklessly against them. More patience please Pup.

Australian's have never usually been ones to play with just their pad, but having at least some idea of how to do it could buy batsmen some time to get the balls they can actually score off. Clarke left one ball from Herath that pitched outside leg, but in the time I was watching Hussey, Usman, Haddin and Clarke all played at balls pitching outside leg, just defending them. I'd like to see some pad usage - it's safer.

And after the Ashes and our stupid ill disciplined bowling, it made my day to see Sri Lanka scoring at around 2 RPO - excellent stifling bowling for once from an Aussie attack :thumbs

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Clarke left one ball from Herath that pitched outside leg, but in the time I was watching Hussey, Usman, Haddin and Clarke all played at balls pitching outside leg, just defending them. I'd like to see some pad usage - it's safer.

Haddin did it on his first delivery, was a massive shout. Although his was more don't move the feet and let the ball hit you. Much rather he kick it away like I have seen opposition to do Warne when he went around the wicket.

Num

Club Cricketer
Harris gets Paranavitana first ball of the innings! A just reward given Harris' disciplined bowling in Sri Lanka's first innings. Nearly had Sangakkara first ball as well.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Of course, players who padded up to Warne put themselves at risk of being dismissed freakishly. Kicking the ball is much like other disciplines of footwork and a player with lazy feet is much better off trying to use their bat.

Users who are viewing this thread