Warne Retiring (confirmed)

Warne Retiring?? Do u think he will and should he?

I reckon warne should stay around for another year or 2, and retire at the MCG and not from the SCG, so warne could stay around at 800 wickets and possibly stay to 1000 he can do it, he is just a legspinner, fields at slip, not alot of workload dont u think??

But I think he has already playet alot of cricktet he needs to empty his space for younger one

Yes I'm sure his shoulder that has suffered injuries in the past is fine to go through two more years of plenty of overs :rolleyes:. I think he knows that if Pidge goes, he will be bowling a lot of overs, and I'm not sure how much he wants to be bowling 70 overs a test match. Besides, I think he wants to go out on a high, and winning back the Ashes at home is about as high as it gets for Aussie cricketers. By retiring now, Australia will be able to try and breed someone else to take his roll for the next 2/3 years before the next Ashes, and they will be hoping that by then they have a new spinner with enough quality and experience to lead the Aussie attack for another 10 years.

Worst comes to worse they have to toss MacGill in there for a few years before he retires as well. I can say now, that an attack of something like Tait/Johnson, Clark, Lee, MacGill, and someone like Watson as fifth bowler looks a lot less threatening, and on bad days could be hammered around the park.

The workload is heaps, slips hes having a bludge, but 30-50 overs an innings, then backing that up with another 30-50 overs in the second innigns is like brett lee bowling 30-40 overs a whole test, so if he doesn;'t retire soon he will be forced too once his shoulder falls off

It's easy to say it looks less threatening, but I don't envy opening batsman facing the prospect of Tait and Lee. You'd bet that someone would get smacked in the face at least once every innings.

Plus, MacGill is frequently underestimated. Especially for a player who has a better strike-rate than McGrath and Lee, or Thomson and Lillee, for that matter.

he's still taking wickets so why retire? if you can still perform at that level thats all that matters, i dont see why age should be a factor, performances on the field should be the deciding factor and in my opinion he's still very capable, go for 1000 warney!

Sad day for cricket if it's actually true. Legend in the truest sense of the word.

"after inevitably becoming the first Test cricketer to pass the hallowed 700-wicket mark in the Boxing Day Test in his home town of Melbourne"

That's a bit presumptious as well.

MUFC1987 said:
Only 2 things in life are certain

Death and Shane Warne taking an English wicket.

this is a sad news. very sad news for us . but the show must go on. i thoguht that shane will play in world cup 2007 . but thats not happening.

MUFC1987 said:
"after inevitably becoming the first Test cricketer to pass the hallowed 700-wicket mark in the Boxing Day Test in his home town of Melbourne"

You don't think he will take one wicket in this entire match? This was on Channel Nine News as an exclusive, and I saw Tony Jones at the MCG (during the Ford Ranger Cup) who said it was true, hopefully it is not true because Shane Warne is the greatest bowler of our time, and if he retires a legend, perhaps bowling's equivalent of Sir Donald Bradman, (although not in that class) will leave us much earlier than epected.

angryangy said:
It's easy to say it looks less threatening, but I don't envy opening batsman facing the prospect of Tait and Lee. You'd bet that someone would get smacked in the face at least once every innings.
They may well get hit, but they'd still score plenty of runs. Lee's average is hardly good, let alone breath taking, especially for leading a bowling attack.

I've merged the 2 Shane Warne retiring threads.

Users who are viewing this thread