Warne Retiring (confirmed)

ITS OFFICIAL HES RETIRED

but theres still some good news he said hes gonna continue at hampshire for his final 2 years :) whooo

He won't be coaching England thats for sure :)
Interesting he would have retired last year if we had won the Ashes. Also he wouldn't have announced his retirement if we hadn't won the Ashes.

"I don't know what he's on"

Whatever it is, i'm sure Warney will want some of it. ;)

I read that quote from Cricinfo's blog in case your wondering.

If, and I'm sure he will, he picks up 8 wickets in the next two tests he will finish his international career with a total of 1000 wickets. Not bad going at all, well played Mr Warne, well played.

Well with the SCG as the last venue surely he'll be able to get those 8 wickets. Too bad he let Murali get back his title :(

told you that you should of let us win the ashes. but no you just wouldnt lose now look at what you've done :p

aussie1st said:
Well with the SCG as the last venue surely he'll be able to get those 8 wickets. Too bad he let Murali get back his title :(

Thing is Warne will always be first to 700 test wickets, even if Murali takes more of them. I was wondering the other day, would Warne have more wickets to his name if the Australian bowling attack hadn't been so good over the years? He's had to share them out with legends like McGrath, and in their prime good bowlers like Gillespie and Kasper. Murali on the other hand has had to rip through sides almost single handedly at times and is on occassions the sole chance of a wicket for Sri Lanka.

It's obviously unanswerable, but I wonder if Warne would have more wickets in his situation, or would in fact have less without the pressure being applied at the other end?

Lol I'm happy with us winning the Ashes back, we have to look to the future sooner or later.

puddleduck said:
Thing is Warne will always be first to 700 test wickets, even if Murali takes more of them. I was wondering the other day, would Warne have more wickets to his name if the Australian bowling attack hadn't been so good over the years? He's had to share them out with legends like McGrath, and in their prime good bowlers like Gillespie and Kasper. Murali on the other hand has had to rip through sides almost single handedly at times and is on occassions the sole chance of a wicket for Sri Lanka.

It's obviously unanswerable, but I wonder if Warne would have more wickets in his situation, or would in fact have less without the pressure being applied at the other end?

Good question it's hard to say cause maybe Warne could do what Murali does for SL or of course as you mentioned he may have got less due to not enough pressure from the other end.

aussie1st said:

Like Warne said who really cares about statistics?? I mean sooner or later someone will replace Murali and then someone may replace the record holder. I would rather see Murali take over Warne than any other bowler because of the fierce competition between the two in the past decade.

I think Puddle is correct. Warne has bowled in a bowling line-up where on a regular basis the other bowlers bowling with him have had a bowling average of under 20. Murali has also had the luxery of playing against Bangladesh & Zimbabwe allot more then what Warne has.

Warne's picked up 17 wickets against Bangladesh & Zimbabwe while Murali has picked up 137 wickets against Bangladesh & Zimbabwe.

wfdu_ben91 said:
I think Puddle is correct. Warne has bowled in a bowling line-up where on a regular basis the other bowlers bowling with him have had a bowling average of under 20. Murali has also had the luxery of playing against Bangladesh & Zimbabwe allot more then what Warne has.

Warne's picked up 17 wickets against Bangladesh & Zimbabwe while Murali has picked up 137 wickets against Bangladesh & Zimbabwe.

Under 20? That a typo or being really optimistic? :D

Not just a Cricket legend a sporting legend, he had his downs but what an unbelievable bowler.

I didn't use to like him that much, but in the last few years my respect for him has gone up alot. I can see him doing something in England when he finishes with Hampshire, maybe not with England but one of the counties.

Zaibatsu22 said:
he's still taking wickets so why retire? if you can still perform at that level thats all that matters, i dont see why age should be a factor, performances on the field should be the deciding factor and in my opinion he's still very capable, go for 1000 warney!
well age does matter if your've been rolling that shoulder over for the past 14-15 years constantly and being counted on, give the guy a break

I've got an impression of Warne feeling 'it' much more this series. Could he still play on? Physically probably maybe he just wants to end on a high, can't get higher for an Englishman or Australian than retiring after an ashes win.

Sureshot said:
I've got an impression of Warne feeling 'it' much more this series. Could he still play on? Physically probably maybe he just wants to end on a high, can't get higher for an Englishman or Australian than retiring after an ashes win.
well your probably tright, it is said he told his teammates in the post celbrations that he might retire, if we won it in Melbourne he probably would hav etold them then, he probably made up his mind after they won in perth

Users who are viewing this thread