Wealeys slider and skills playtest! OP updated with sliders!!

Pretty sure attributes don't matter. Only batting position does. It might seem like attributes correlate to batting ability, but if you put Nathan Lyon in to bat at number 3 and Warner at 11 then their batting ability will match.

Big Ant hoodwinking us again. :(

Sri Lanka vs England.

Difficulty: Veteran (medium batting & bowling).

Pitch: grassy, hard, worn, heavy cracks.

Lunch on day one:

DSC_0541.JPG

The astute amongst you will have spotted three run outs...these were all direct hits from the boundary! Way too frequent for my liking (they probably had a 50/60% success rate of hitting the stumps from all throws), but this is veteran after all. I didn't find it harder to bat against the pace bowlers (I did get a few more edges though), but the spinners (I struggle against them on pro let alone veteran!) and super fielding caused problems.

I'm hoping to somehow scrape to 230 and then see what bowling is like in veteran. There could be a heavy loss in the offing...

Edit: I also need to stop playing cut shots to shoulder height short balls as they always go to slip. Both Hameed's and Bairstow's dismissals were due to this.

Pretty sure attributes don't matter. Only batting position does. It might seem like attributes correlate to batting ability, but if you put Nathan Lyon in to bat at number 3 and Warner at 11 then their batting ability will match.

Big Ant hoodwinking us again. :(

TBF to Big Ant batting position does have an impact on a batsman's average. A batsman batting lower down the order will have a lower average compared to when he's batting in the top order as he will have less opportunities for scoring big scores and most of the time will have to bat with the tail. If I had to code the logic I would put some weight on the batting position as well coz the same batsman coming in at 4 should average higher compared to when the same batsman comes in at 9.

Yes ive had two of those ass ricochet wickets
I got a better one of those. Ind vs Aus test match; ball just about outside off. Batsman tried to defend, ball hit the arm guard on to the ground and dribbled on to the stumps to take the bails off..

TBF to Big Ant batting position does have an impact on a batsman's average. A batsman batting lower down the order will have a lower average compared to when he's batting in the top order as he will have less opportunities for scoring big scores and most of the time will have to bat with the tail. If I had to code the logic I would put some weight on the batting position as well coz the same batsman coming in at 4 should average higher compared to when the same batsman comes in at 9.

You're suggesting batting average is the dependent variable, which really doesn't make a lot of sense in the real world. Glenn McGrath batted number 11 and Bradman number 3 for a reason...

You're suggesting batting average is the dependent variable, which really doesn't make a lot of sense in the real world. Glenn McGrath batted number 11 and Bradman number 3 for a reason...

It is sort of dependent as Bradman wouldn't have averaged 99 batting at 10. So the position at which a batsman bats in should be factored in as well - at least I would do so.

It is sort of dependent as Bradman wouldn't have averaged 99 batting at 10. So the position at which a batsman bats in should be factored in as well - at least I would do so.

No way. Sorry but I disagree. That's not how cricket works! To have a team with zero attributes perform the same as a team with full attributes and individual performances related solely to their batting position - that is crooked. I was hoping they'd 'fix' this.

No way. Sorry but I disagree. That's not how cricket works! To have a team with zero attributes perform the same as a team with full attributes and individual performances related solely to their batting position - that is crooked. I was hoping they'd 'fix' this.

That's not what I said. I said that there should be some sort of weightage given to the batting position along with the attributes and skills. E.g., Batsman A who bats at 4 has similar skills & attributes as Batsman B who bats at 8. I would expect Batsman A to average higher as he will have more opportunities to play bigger knocks. I didn't say batting position should be the ONLY factor which determines how good or bad a batsman bats.

That's not what I said. I said that there should be some sort of weightage given to the batting position along with the attributes and skills. E.g., Batsman A who bats at 4 has similar skills & attributes as Batsman B who bats at 8. I would expect Batsman A to average higher as he will have more opportunities to play bigger knocks. I didn't say batting position should be the ONLY factor which determines how good or bad a batsman bats.

Unfortunately it seems Bug Ant does.

Teams with 0 attributes for each player racking up 300+ scores in tests, that's complete amateur bullshit. NBA Jam had attributes that worked!

Unfortunately it seems Bug Ant does.

Teams with 0 attributes for each player racking up 300+ scores in tests, that's complete amateur bullshit. NBA Jam had attributes that worked!

Can we not spoil what is a genuinely useful thread which drivel like 'Bug Ant' and 'amateur bullshit'?

If you want to contribute to the play test then great, otherwise take it to another thread like General Discussion.

@wealey88

With the Spin Bounce & Spin Flight Sliders i think they're for the delivery itself. As with the 1st sliders you used and i used. I noticed when trying for example a off spinner hold it for a off break then turn up the bounce until the line is at the bottom (6 on a clock face) the ball flies up out of the hand like a moon ball. I did put it in a video. It's in the 1st video on post [HASHTAG]#321[/HASHTAG] @ 0:48 seconds this is with spin bounce set to 1 as per the sliders you set as well.

Tested in a 5/5 With Rashid/Root Everything else on default - Spin Bounce 0 = moon ball / Spin Bounce 100 = very fast speared in delivery 82mph
I have also looked at the bounce the bowler gets from bowling a normal off break having spin bounce 0 or 100. There was minimal difference in bounce from 0-100 half a ball height maybe.

My first test match has finished within 3 days. I have the clips of the final day but not many clips to be honest. I have the final scorecard screenshot if you want to see that maybe?
So I'll be looking to start a new test match maybe in the next few hours. Thinking sub con, but don't really know where to start with the pitch/sliders.

Can we not spoil what is a genuinely useful thread which drivel like 'Bug Ant' and 'amateur bullshit'?

If you want to contribute to the play test then great, otherwise take it to another thread like General Discussion.

I'm going to test a low rated Netherlands v England or something to put this theory to bed. Bowling as both teams, same pitch etc.

I refuse to believe Big Ant could make the attributes not mattering mistake twice.

It is not off to a great start. I decided to play Oman v South Africa and the Omani openers are slapping Rabada and Abbott everywhere. No, no, no, this can't be happening :(

Last edited:

I have no idea of the reference but the ignore is working a treat, it was only two or three ignores and threads are pretty clean to read.

I am sure this stuff will be good for the guys at BA to go through, keep up the good work :)

I have no idea of the reference but the ignore is working a treat, it was only two or three ignores and threads are pretty clean to read.

I am sure this stuff will be good for the guys at BA to go through, keep up the good work :)

Im going to produce some results of some testing which I think confirms that attributes dont make any difference at all, which I dont think is acceptable in a sports game in 2017 (or 2016!) Particularly when the academy is such an important part of the game and people are spending hundreds of hours tweaking their teams to perfection.

I hope to do it in a professional and scientific way and I hope BA take it in the spirit it is intended, but Im pretty dismayed by what I am seeing this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread