West Indies tour of Australia 2024 (2 Tests, 3 ODIs, 3 T20Is)

What would be the Test series scoreline?

• 2-0 in favour of Australia

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • 2-0 in favour of West Indies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-1 tied

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 1-0 in favour of Australia

• 1-0 in favour of West Indies

• 0-0 tied

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
This must be one of the worst test batting units ever in history. Quite annoying since the bowling unit has been decent so far in contrast to last year.
These are the 28 West Indians playing in the SA 20, ILT20 and BPL (and Jason Holder who seems to have turned down a central contract and not got a T20 deal this winter).

I think you could get an XI that would give this West Indies side a contest (quite probably beat them).

Batters
Sherfane Rutherford
Rovman Powell
Shimron Hetmyer
Johnson Charles
Nicholas Pooran
Andre 'Spiceman' Fletcher
Evin Lewis
Shai Hope
Brandon King

All Rounders
Kyle Mayers
Keemo Paul
Romario Shepherd
Andre Russell
Carlos Brathwaite
Dwayne Bravo
Odean Smith
Mark Deyal
Jason Holder

Bowlers
Obed McCoy
Sunil Narine
Sheldon Cottrell
Dominic Drakes
Akeal Hosein
McKenny Clarke
Rahkeem Cornwall
Matthew Forde
Yannic Cariah

1 Evin Lewis
2 Brandon King
3 Shai Hope
4 Shimron Hetmyer
5 Nicholas Pooran
6 Kyle Mayers
7 Andre Russell / Romario Shepherd
8 Jason Holder
9 Akeal Hosein
10 Dominic Drakes
11 McKenny Clarke

Jayden Seales is injured, but there's Ramon Simmonds and Jair McAllister who could bolster the pace attack.

People making a fuss about South Africa sending a weakened test side, this has been the story of the West Indies for ten years.

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
These are the 28 West Indians playing in the SA 20, ILT20 and BPL (and Jason Holder who seems to have turned down a central contract and not got a T20 deal this winter).

I think you could get an XI that would give this West Indies side a contest (quite probably beat them).

Batters
Sherfane Rutherford
Rovman Powell
Shimron Hetmyer
Johnson Charles
Nicholas Pooran
Evin Lewis
Shai Hope
Brandon King

All Rounders
Kyle Mayers
Keemo Paul
Romario Shepherd
Andre Russell
Carlos Brathwaite
Dwayne Bravo
Odean Smith
Mark Deyal
Jason Holder

Bowlers
Obed McCoy
Sunil Narine
Sheldon Cottrell
Dominic Drakes
Akeal Hosein
McKenny Clarke
Rahkeem Cornwall
Matthew Forde
Yannic Cariah

1 Evin Lewis
2 Brandon King
3 Shai Hope
4 Shimron Hetmyer
5 Nicholas Pooran
6 Kyle Mayers
7 Andre Russell / Romario Shepherd
8 Jason Holder
9 Akeal Hosein
10 Dominic Drakes
11 McKenny Clarke

Jayden Seales is injured, but there's Ramon Simmonds and Jair McAllister who could bolster the pace attack.

People making a fuss about South Africa sending a weakened test side, this has been the story of the West Indies for ten years.

I think it’s been much of a meme rather than reality in the recent past given some of them weren’t suitable to test cricket compared to the test regulars at that stage but at the moment it may well be true.

I’m still shocked that King hasn’t played test cricket for one. I’m not sure if Hope’s ship for the same has sunk beyond repair yet since Da Silva’s been having a torrid time recently but I don’t see how he gets back into it unless he plays some form of FC cricket prior to his recall and now that he’s becoming a more well-rounded player he may just opt to not do that. Holder and Mayers both have their niches even if they have not been particularly good recently. Pooran seems like the type of player you could throw into test cricket as a wild punt since he’s never playing FC cricket otherwise.

Don’t have too much faith in the rest being useful at this point. Rutherford perhaps is the only other one since he’s shown a steady rate of progression.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I think it’s been much of a meme rather than reality in the recent past given some of them weren’t suitable to test cricket compared to the test regulars at that stage but at the moment it may well be true.

I’m still shocked that King hasn’t played test cricket for one. I’m not sure if Hope’s ship for the same has sunk beyond repair yet since Da Silva’s been having a torrid time recently but I don’t see how he gets back into it unless he plays some form of FC cricket prior to his recall and now that he’s becoming a more well-rounded player he may just opt to not do that. Holder and Mayers both have their niches even if they have not been particularly good recently. Pooran seems like the type of player you could throw into test cricket as a wild punt since he’s never playing FC cricket otherwise.

Don’t have too much faith in the rest being useful at this point. Rutherford perhaps is the only other one since he’s shown a steady rate of progression.
Shai Hope feels like the great loss based on how he started, never progressed and now has T20 doors, once closed to him, opening up. I think he'd be as good as Joshua Da Silva, same with Pooran. Certainly I think they're both better keepers. King did play for West Indies A recently so it seems he's there or thereabouts.

It's interesting. Since Shiv Chanderpaul retired they have one guy who averages above 40: Carlos Brathwaite. 3 50s in 5 innings (against India and Australia) then he got into the T20 circuit. I don't know if that's why he never played a test again but it's a guy who showed promise gone. Holder has probably filled that gap. Also I think CB scored those at 8 so and was not there for his batting. Perhaps WICB didn't remember the name.

Saw the Caribbean Cricket Podcast point out the Nkrumah Bonner hasn't played since last year when he was out with concussion. He's second behind C Brathwaite. Then you got Kraigg Brathwaite, Tage Chanderpaul and Mayers as the only others averaging above 30.

Even someone like Roston Chase, not a great career average, but has shown an ability to score centuries. Can bowl handy off spin.

Feels like they are not only lacking players who would improve them but also not picking players with some proven numbers.

Perhaps they need to get some assistance from New Zealand in getting the domestic pitches to be batter friendly, or get rid of the Dukes ball to enable batters to develop the skill of batting time.

Bevab

Staff Member
Shai Hope feels like the great loss based on how he started, never progressed and now has T20 doors, once closed to him, opening up. I think he'd be as good as Joshua Da Silva, same with Pooran. Certainly I think they're both better keepers. King did play for West Indies A recently so it seems he's there or thereabouts.

It's interesting. Since Shiv Chanderpaul retired they have one guy who averages above 40: Carlos Brathwaite. 3 50s in 5 innings (against India and Australia) then he got into the T20 circuit. I don't know if that's why he never played a test again but it's a guy who showed promise gone. Holder has probably filled that gap. Also I think CB scored those at 8 so and was not there for his batting. Perhaps WICB didn't remember the name.

Saw the Caribbean Cricket Podcast point out the Nkrumah Bonner hasn't played since last year when he was out with concussion. He's second behind C Brathwaite. Then you got Kraigg Brathwaite, Tage Chanderpaul and Mayers as the only others averaging above 30.

Even someone like Roston Chase, not a great career average, but has shown an ability to score centuries. Can bowl handy off spin.

Feels like they are not only lacking players who would improve them but also not picking players with some proven numbers.

Perhaps they need to get some assistance from New Zealand in getting the domestic pitches to be batter friendly, or get rid of the Dukes ball to enable batters to develop the skill of batting time.

Not really a fan of some of the names you’ve suggested to be honest.

The main issue with Hope is that he was a failure at the test level for a long period of time. This current version of him may fare better but the only experience to support that would be his three FC games since his last test. He’s scored two fifties and a century in them so may be he has worked on something and I’d still take him ahead of some of the dross in the current team but it’s still a bit risky to get him involved straight back if his confidence could take a hit following a potential test failure again. Joshua has stagnated a lot IMO and when his predecessor was arguably a victim of stagnation and slow decline himself you must wonder if it’s a coaching issue or something deeper. The former is at least capable of averaging in the mid 30s (something that I remember saying about Dowrich too) and it does seem like he would be better off batting higher up the order (still remember Quinny getting the same argument) even if he’s a decent batter with the tail.

Carlos Brathwaite could have been a test regular in a world devoid of T20s. The issue as you’ve pointed out is that his particular niche was already filled by Holder in the lineup and I doubt you’d want a bloke who picked up one wicket in 408 balls of test cricket as one of your four frontline bowlers. On a slightly different note, I’d say he’s never quite lived up to his potential regardless given that he’s still remembered for that final performance and a few other impressive performances here and there… much like Mario Gotze in football (now that I think about it… there may be more in common between them than I’d originally envisioned).

Bonner looked absolutely clueless in his last few tests. Since his century against your lot he’s crossed thirty twice in eight innings and they were the only double digit scores in that timeframe if you exclude his innings where he got concussed. I’d assume he’s fallen out of favour since then due to some technical flaw being quite exposed and him not dealing with it properly in the nets. Still remember him looking extremely clueless against the short ball down under. He’s got two FC games in the most recent season with a high score of seventeen since then, combine that with his age and you have a guy that doesn’t really scream ‘it’s comeback time’.

Chase is the worst culprit here. All of his five centuries were in the pre-pandemic era and most of his good bowling work was in the same period. In the post-pandemic era (if you can call it that) he’s got a batting average of 17 and a bowling average of 54 in seventeen games, those are truly atrocious numbers. Hasn’t got a fifer in his last six games either (since 2022 overall) and hasn’t played any FC cricket since his last test. Given that he didn’t pass the eye test either even when he was having success in test cricket… I’d say he isn’t the one you want out there.

Mayers record against teams other than Bangladesh is quite poor. I can see a world where he could be a useful bowler on pitches that aid his style of bowling but he’s a liability with the bat.

If I had to come up with a test XI for West Indies… it might look something like…

Brathwaite
Tage
King/McKenzie
Athanaze
Hope/King
Da Silva/Hope
All-rounder
Alzarri
Seales
Motie
Shamar

I’d keep Alzarri on thin ice for now given he hasn’t really kicked on despite promising so much. Roach can come in whenever it’s a green surface for Motie or when one of the main three are injured/Alzarri gets finally dropped. Jordan is another one I’d keep a track of in case Alzarri struggles, he looked lively in the recent A tour of South Africa despite his overall numbers looking bad. They could also do with working on Sinclair’s long form batting for a number seven role; he was the second highest run scorer in that A Tour overall and has boundless potential with the ball. Bring in Permaul for one of the three pacers and have Sinclair be the number seven once his batting gets there and you have an adequate bowling unit for the subcontinent. My dark horse pick for the AR role is probably Rutherford but I don’t necessarily mind Holder coming back to it after the T20 WC.

There were rumours of Bell-Drummond potentially becoming a West Indian player too. That could help their batting immensely, he’s hardly one of the best in county cricket but he would be an immediate improvement on nearly every option at the moment (I would personally slot him in at his natural three). It feels rough to throw McKenzie to the wolves and ask him to learn to handle test cricket on the job but they don’t particularly have alternatives unless the likes of King and Hope return. It’s telling that neither of us have mentioned Blackwood until now who was supposed to be one of the few bright sparks once.

I think the side above could be a potential mid ranked team in the future if they receive the right guidance and coaching. They won’t be getting back to the halcyon days anytime soon but having a competitive team isn’t as far out as it appeared years ago.

Last edited:

Viper.

County Cricketer
SRH...
Perth Scorchers
Profile Flag
Netherlands
Not really a fan of some of the names you’ve suggested to be honest.

The main issue with Hope is that he was a failure at the test level for a long period of time. This current version of him may fare better but the only experience to support that would be his three FC games since his last test. He’s scored two fifties and a century in them so may be he has worked on something and I’d still take him ahead of some of the dross in the current team but it’s still a bit risky to get him involved straight back if his confidence could take a hit following a potential test failure again. Joshua has stagnated a lot IMO and when his predecessor was arguably a victim of stagnation and slow decline himself you must wonder if it’s a coaching issue or something deeper. The former is at least capable of averaging in the mid 30s (something that I remember saying about Dowrich too) and it does seem like he would be better off batting higher up the order (still remember Quinny getting the same argument) even if he’s a decent batter with the tail.

Carlos Brathwaite could have been a test regular in a world devoid of T20s. The issue as you’ve pointed out is that his particular niche was already filled by Holder in the lineup and I doubt you’d want a bloke who picked up one wicket in 408 balls of test cricket as one of your four frontline bowlers. On a slightly different note, I’d say he’s never quite lived up to his potential regardless given that he’s still remembered for that final performance and a few other impressive performances here and there… much like Mario Gotze in football (now that I think about it… there may be more in common between them than I’d originally envisioned).

Bonner looked absolutely clueless in his last few tests. Since his century against your lot he’s crossed thirty twice in eight innings and they were the only double digit scores in that timeframe if you exclude his innings where he got concussed. I’d assume he’s fallen out of favour since then due to some technical flaw being quite exposed and him not dealing with it properly in the nets. Still remember him looking extremely clueless against the short ball down under. He’s got two FC games in the most recent season with a high score of seventeen since then, combine that with his age and you have a guy that doesn’t really scream ‘it’s comeback time’.

Chase is the worst culprit here. All of his five centuries were in the pre-pandemic era and most of his good bowling work was in the same period. In the post-pandemic era (if you can call it that) he’s got a batting average of 17 and a bowling average of 54 in seventeen games, those are truly atrocious numbers. Hasn’t got a fifer in his last six games either (since 2022 overall) and hasn’t played any FC cricket since his last test. Given that he didn’t pass the eye test either even when he was having success in test cricket… I’d say he isn’t the one you want out there.

Mayers record against teams other than Bangladesh is quite poor. I can see a world where he could be a useful bowler on pitches that aid his style of bowling but he’s a liability with the bat.

If I had to come up with a test XI for West Indies… it might look something like…

Brathwaite
Tage
King/McKenzie
Athanaze
Hope/King
Da Silva/Hope
All-rounder
Alzarri
Seales
Motie
Shamar

I’d keep Alzarri on thin ice for now given he hasn’t really kicked on despite promising so much. Roach can come in whenever it’s a green surface for Motie or when one of the main three are injured/Alzarri gets finally dropped. Jordan is another one I’d keep a track of in case Alzarri struggles, he looked lively in the recent A tour of South Africa despite his overall numbers looking bad. They could also do with working on Sinclair’s long form batting for a number seven role; he was the second highest run scorer in that A Tour overall and has boundless potential with the ball. Bring in Permaul for one of the three pacers and have Sinclair be the number seven once his batting gets there and you have an adequate bowling unit for the subcontinent. My dark horse pick for the AR role is probably Rutherford but I don’t necessarily mind Holder coming back to it after the T20 WC.

There were rumours of Bell-Drummond potentially becoming a West Indian player too. That could help their batting immensely, he’s hardly one of the best in county cricket but he would be an immediate improvement on nearly every option at the moment (I would personally slot him in at his natural three). It feels rough to throw McKenzie to the wolves and ask him to learn to handle test cricket on the job but they don’t particularly have alternatives unless the likes of King and Hope return. It’s telling that neither of us have mentioned Blackwood until now who was supposed to be one of the few bright sparks once.

I think the side above could be a potential mid ranked team in the future if they receive the right guidance and coaching. They won’t be getting back to the halcyon days anytime soon but having a competitive team isn’t as far out as it appeared years ago.

So no more Roach in the main XI now? Guy is probably nearing retirement anyway.. sad to see him get dropped now

The AR at 7 should still be Holder imo. Da Silva should be the first choice WK anyday.

Has Blackwood really been that bad that he should be dropped now? Because I remember him and Kraigg being like the only two delivering batsmen for WI in tests for a long time. And I don't know why they dropped Bonner so early and persisted with others. Both him and Mayers did drop off badly after their dream test career start, if McKenzie performs this tour it'll be a blessing for them, same as Athanaze.

Chase has been horrible with both bat and ball yeah.. I want to see Rahkeem as the 2nd choice spinner after Motie over anyone else tbh.. he can also hold a bat, if Joseph/Roach don't play the tail looks quite thin.. I like Seales as a pacer and Shamar has also given a new option.

I'm just glad WI have two performing openers now. It frustrated me badly to see Campbell make team after team after his utterly awful record because they had no opener. I do remember them trying Blackwood as opener for a short period when Brooks filled the middle-order slot (Now what happened to Brooks Ive no clue), and when Jeremy Solozano debuted I was so excited to see him and then he pulled off a Will Pucovski and never came back, but Tagenarine is a brilliant solution and has at least solved that big hole for WI now, while on the other hand it's now their middle-order that tries to sort itself out

Bevab

Staff Member
So no more Roach in the main XI now? Guy is probably nearing retirement anyway.. sad to see him get dropped now

The AR at 7 should still be Holder imo. Da Silva should be the first choice WK anyday.

Has Blackwood really been that bad that he should be dropped now? Because I remember him and Kraigg being like the only two delivering batsmen for WI in tests for a long time. And I don't know why they dropped Bonner so early and persisted with others. Both him and Mayers did drop off badly after their dream test career start, if McKenzie performs this tour it'll be a blessing for them, same as Athanaze.

Chase has been horrible with both bat and ball yeah.. I want to see Rahkeem as the 2nd choice spinner after Motie over anyone else tbh.. he can also hold a bat, if Joseph/Roach don't play the tail looks quite thin.. I like Seales as a pacer and Shamar has also given a new option.

I'm just glad WI have two performing openers now. It frustrated me badly to see Campbell make team after team after his utterly awful record because they had no opener. I do remember them trying Blackwood as opener for a short period when Brooks filled the middle-order slot (Now what happened to Brooks Ive no clue), and when Jeremy Solozano debuted I was so excited to see him and then he pulled off a Will Pucovski and never came back, but Tagenarine is a brilliant solution and has at least solved that big hole for WI now, while on the other hand it's now their middle-order that tries to sort itself out

I’d still have Roach in if it’s a Duke’s ball that he’ll bowl with in favourable conditions, he still has his uses but as you’ve pointed out it’s time they start transitioning from him due to his humongous home/away split (would love to see how his record compares with and without a Duke’s). Don’t mind Holder at seven either and Da Silva badly needs some guidance before he becomes Dowrich 2.0.

Blackwood’s really inconsistent and has gotten worse, one century in nearly twenty games is not befitting of a number four bat who should be nearing the end of his prime and slowly declining. I don’t think he was harshly dropped given he’s played over fifty games. You could argue that for Bonner but he looked extremely poor towards the end of his last stint and hasn’t given any reason to be recalled other than the rest being hapless too.

I’ve been a fan of Cornwall and I think he gets some undeserved stick from a growing minority of people over his body shape but he’s had issues with his fitness that have affected him in tests. I’m not sure if that has to do with his physique particularly as that’s something only he or the physios would know… but it is a worry. In the long run you would want Sinclair there anyways. With Motie’s own potential injury worries I would assume everyone gets a fair share of chances in a fanciful world where Warrican is finally dropped.

Viper.

County Cricketer
SRH...
Perth Scorchers
Profile Flag
Netherlands
I’d still have Roach in if it’s a Duke’s ball that he’ll bowl with in favourable conditions, he still has his uses but as you’ve pointed out it’s time they start transitioning from him due to his humongous home/away split (would love to see how his record compares with and without a Duke’s). Don’t mind Holder at seven either and Da Silva badly needs some guidance before he becomes Dowrich 2.0.

Blackwood’s really inconsistent and has gotten worse, one century in nearly twenty games is not befitting of a number four bat who should be nearing the end of his prime and slowly declining. I don’t think he was harshly dropped given he’s played over fifty games. You could argue that for Bonner but he looked extremely poor towards the end of his last stint and hasn’t given any reason to be recalled other than the rest being hapless too.

I’ve been a fan of Cornwall and I think he gets some undeserved stick from a growing minority of people over his body shape but he’s had issues with his fitness that have affected him in tests. I’m not sure if that has to do with his physique particularly as that’s something only he or the physios would know… but it is a worry. In the long run you would want Sinclair there anyways. With Motie’s own potential injury worries I would assume everyone gets a fair share of chances in a fanciful world where Warrican is finally dropped.
Idk much about Warrican except that he's been in and out of the squad when they need spinners for the longest time. But Motie has sealed the spot as first choice spinner quite confidently, and Cornwall iirc has had good domestic returns which is why he should be 2nd choice, plus that he can bat, and because, how can you hate that man- I might have slight bias for him cause he's the dream, Rahkeem. Sinclair is exciting , I first saw him as one of their options for T20 spinner alongside Hosein and Walsh in 2021 (he eventually lost his place to those 2), but I heard he has done well in domestic in longer formats.

Blackwood really was their only decent bat except Kraigg for a long period, before Mayers and Bonner rose , but yeah, things have changed. He had the longevity in the side, and with the entire WI team performing poorly in Tests it was hard to really spot him as one of the underperformers to drop, as basically everyone except the openers were terrible for these few years (For a change, post campbell era). What about Shamarh Brooks though? Another guy who was in the side even before COVID times and just slowly got dropped as Mayers and Bonner performed and only came back when Blackwood opened. I remember he was not really flashy or anything but he was just decent.
Post automatically merged:

Also about Carlos Brathwaite it's very funny how Ian Bishop kinda jinxed that man into eternity by just saying the simple words of "Remember the name" . Is he playing any WI domestic right now or just freelancing T20 leagues

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Idk much about Warrican except that he's been in and out of the squad when they need spinners for the longest time. But Motie has sealed the spot as first choice spinner quite confidently, and Cornwall iirc has had good domestic returns which is why he should be 2nd choice, plus that he can bat, and because, how can you hate that man- I might have slight bias for him cause he's the dream, Rahkeem. Sinclair is exciting , I first saw him as one of their options for T20 spinner alongside Hosein and Walsh in 2021 (he eventually lost his place to those 2), but I heard he has done well in domestic in longer formats.

Blackwood really was their only decent bat except Kraigg for a long period, before Mayers and Bonner rose , but yeah, things have changed. He had the longevity in the side, and with the entire WI team performing poorly in Tests it was hard to really spot him as one of the underperformers to drop, as basically everyone except the openers were terrible for these few years (For a change, post campbell era). What about Shamarh Brooks though? Another guy who was in the side even before COVID times and just slowly got dropped as Mayers and Bonner performed and only came back when Blackwood opened. I remember he was not really flashy or anything but he was just decent.
Post automatically merged:

Also about Carlos Brathwaite it's very funny how Ian Bishop kinda jinxed that man into eternity by just saying the simple words of "Remember the name" . Is he playing any WI domestic right now or just freelancing T20 leagues
Brooks averages 23 after 13 tests and he's 35, it seems unlikely he'll come back.

Viper.

County Cricketer
SRH...
Perth Scorchers
Profile Flag
Netherlands

Bevab

Staff Member
Yeah, I’d rather have blokes in their early to mid 20s averaging in that range with potential to improve rather than over 30 year olds.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
This must be one of the worst test batting units ever in history. Quite annoying since the bowling unit has been decent so far in contrast to last year.
One caveat I will offer is that we don't know for sure that it's as bad as it looks, because most of these players don't have the sample size to say for sure that they're not up to it yet. They're almost all at the start of their careers and may well go on to become proper Test quality batters. But yeah this is pretty dire lmao, because no matter how good they might end up being, you don't want your entire middle order debuting in the same game.

Batters
Sherfane Rutherford
Rovman Powell
Shimron Hetmyer
Johnson Charles
Nicholas Pooran
Evin Lewis
Shai Hope
Brandon King
Of these, I feel like King, Lewis, Hope and Pooran are the ones who have the chops to play Test cricket. I'd also be disinclined to include someone like Pooran with quite so little first-class experience; even if you want to go down the route of picking players based on factors other than their domestic stats, I still think that learning to build an innings is an essential skill for a Test batter and for that reason I do think Pooran needs to go somewhere and learn that.

All Rounders
Kyle Mayers
Keemo Paul
Romario Shepherd
Andre Russell
Carlos Brathwaite
Dwayne Bravo
Odean Smith
Mark Deyal
Jason Holder
This is a really interesting selection of players. Obviously Mayers and Holder are the most proven at Test level. Well, Bravo too, but that ship sailed a long time ago now. However I think you could make a reasonable case that any one of perhaps six of these players could stake a reasonable claim that they would strengthen the current top six. This is sad.

Bowlers
Obed McCoy
Sunil Narine
Sheldon Cottrell
Dominic Drakes
Akeal Hosein
McKenny Clarke
Rahkeem Cornwall
Matthew Forde
Yannic Cariah
The bowling unit is probably the part of the current team out in Australia, and there aren't too many names you'd want to add to it. Jayden Seales is obviously missing, but I don't think there are many out on T20 duty who would noticeably improve the Test team. Even Rahkeem - cult hero though he may be, I don't think he provides enough of a point of difference with bat or ball to make up for the reality of having to hide a fielder.

Personally, I would argue that 2009 was the tipping point with the players' strike. I think you'd be hard pushed to find any West Indies team that was definitively full strength since then.

I absolutely agree with you about King. Given the state of the facilities in West Indies domestic cricket, a first-class average of 35 is probably equivalent to a 40+ number in most other countries, and he's shown in white-ball cricket that he's got the ability to handle the best and fastest bowlers the world has to throw at him.

Yeah, King played recently against Bangladesh A and he batted at number five. So it's good that he does seem to have an interest in playing Test cricket, even if it hasn't happened yet. I also agree that Hope couldn't be a downgrade on Da Silva - they both average 25 in Test cricket, but Hope's stats are better in absolutely every other form of cricket. I also think Hope is probably the better gloveman: Da Silva's poor footwork was glaringly noticeable in the Test just gone, especially opposite Alex Carey.

Unrelated, but in Cricket Captain saves I used to pretty regularly pick Carlos in Test cricket just to get his batting average down below my next best active player at the time.

This is really telling: while I can understand the logic of not wanting to stick to the same players who haven't been delivering, Bonner, Chase and Hope have nine Test hundreds between them. For years, Chase would have been one of the very first names on my West Indies team sheet, but since his last Test hundred in 2019 he's played 20 Tests and averaged 17.40 with the bat and making a 50 only once every 9.25 innings. The saddest thing is that this might still be better than what you'd get out of players like Reifer, Solozano, Thomas, Hodge or Greaves who've been tried as batters in that time.

Absolutely. I would also be looking to aggressively restructure the domestic structure in the West Indies to make it better mirror international cricket. Obviously this is difficult because of the lack of funding, but I can always create a nice long post explaining my ideas in the future. As a tl;dr, I'd be looking to bring back the Combined Islands team, and have the scheduling run so that the competitions are run across a series of "tours" - for example, Jamaica could tour Barbados for three first-class games and three List A games. And each of these recurring series would have perpetual trophies as well, named after great West Indian cricketers.

Obviously the money doesn't exist for that, so you'd have to try to find a way.

Brathwaite
Tage
King/McKenzie
Athanaze
Hope/King
Da Silva/Hope
All-rounder
Alzarri
Seales
Motie
Shamar
I've not really engaged with the rest of this post because I agreed with it and thought your statistical evidence spoke for itself. That said, here's the XI I'd want:

1. :bat: Kraigg Brathwaite
2. :bat: Tagenarine Chanderpaul
3. :bat: Daniel Bell-Drummond (if he declined the offer, this place would go to Kirk McKenzie)
4. :bat: Alick Athanaze
5. :bat: Brandon King
6. :wkb: Shai Hope
7. :ar: Jason Holder or Kevin Sinclair
8. :bwl: Alzarri Joseph
9. :bwl: Shamar Joseph
10. :bwl: Gudakesh Motie or Kemar Roach
11. :bwl: Jayden Seales

It's still a really long tail though, so perhaps I should be looking to refine this team a little bit.

Yeah, I’d rather have blokes in their early to mid 20s averaging in that range with potential to improve rather than over 30 year olds.
One thing I would say is that my ideal age to select people for the first time would be about 27-29, unless they're an exceptional world-beating talent. Obviously we're talking about West Indies cricket so there's no such thing as ideal anything.

Viper.

County Cricketer
SRH...
Perth Scorchers
Profile Flag
Netherlands
Surely yeah, no point going back to him really
One caveat I will offer is that we don't know for sure that it's as bad as it looks, because most of these players don't have the sample size to say for sure that they're not up to it yet. They're almost all at the start of their careers and may well go on to become proper Test quality batters. But yeah this is pretty dire lmao, because no matter how good they might end up being, you don't want your entire middle order debuting in the same game.

Of these, I feel like King, Lewis, Hope and Pooran are the ones who have the chops to play Test cricket. I'd also be disinclined to include someone like Pooran with quite so little first-class experience; even if you want to go down the route of picking players based on factors other than their domestic stats, I still think that learning to build an innings is an essential skill for a Test batter and for that reason I do think Pooran needs to go somewhere and learn that.

This is a really interesting selection of players. Obviously Mayers and Holder are the most proven at Test level. Well, Bravo too, but that ship sailed a long time ago now. However I think you could make a reasonable case that any one of perhaps six of these players could stake a reasonable claim that they would strengthen the current top six. This is sad.

The bowling unit is probably the part of the current team out in Australia, and there aren't too many names you'd want to add to it. Jayden Seales is obviously missing, but I don't think there are many out on T20 duty who would noticeably improve the Test team. Even Rahkeem - cult hero though he may be, I don't think he provides enough of a point of difference with bat or ball to make up for the reality of having to hide a fielder.

Personally, I would argue that 2009 was the tipping point with the players' strike. I think you'd be hard pushed to find any West Indies team that was definitively full strength since then.

I absolutely agree with you about King. Given the state of the facilities in West Indies domestic cricket, a first-class average of 35 is probably equivalent to a 40+ number in most other countries, and he's shown in white-ball cricket that he's got the ability to handle the best and fastest bowlers the world has to throw at him.

Yeah, King played recently against Bangladesh A and he batted at number five. So it's good that he does seem to have an interest in playing Test cricket, even if it hasn't happened yet. I also agree that Hope couldn't be a downgrade on Da Silva - they both average 25 in Test cricket, but Hope's stats are better in absolutely every other form of cricket. I also think Hope is probably the better gloveman: Da Silva's poor footwork was glaringly noticeable in the Test just gone, especially opposite Alex Carey.

Unrelated, but in Cricket Captain saves I used to pretty regularly pick Carlos in Test cricket just to get his batting average down below my next best active player at the time.

This is really telling: while I can understand the logic of not wanting to stick to the same players who haven't been delivering, Bonner, Chase and Hope have nine Test hundreds between them. For years, Chase would have been one of the very first names on my West Indies team sheet, but since his last Test hundred in 2019 he's played 20 Tests and averaged 17.40 with the bat and making a 50 only once every 9.25 innings. The saddest thing is that this might still be better than what you'd get out of players like Reifer, Solozano, Thomas, Hodge or Greaves who've been tried as batters in that time.

Absolutely. I would also be looking to aggressively restructure the domestic structure in the West Indies to make it better mirror international cricket. Obviously this is difficult because of the lack of funding, but I can always create a nice long post explaining my ideas in the future. As a tl;dr, I'd be looking to bring back the Combined Islands team, and have the scheduling run so that the competitions are run across a series of "tours" - for example, Jamaica could tour Barbados for three first-class games and three List A games. And each of these recurring series would have perpetual trophies as well, named after great West Indian cricketers.

Obviously the money doesn't exist for that, so you'd have to try to find a way.

I've not really engaged with the rest of this post because I agreed with it and thought your statistical evidence spoke for itself. That said, here's the XI I'd want:

3. :bat: Daniel Bell-Drummond (if he declined the offer, this place would go to Kirk McKenzie)

It's still a really long tail though, so perhaps I should be looking to refine this team a little bit.

One thing I would say is that my ideal age to select people for the first time would be about 27-29, unless they're an exceptional world-beating talent. Obviously we're talking about West Indies cricket so there's no such thing as ideal anything.
Hope in tests ? Happened too often and despite always being good in ODIs he never did well in Tests, how do you think that will change now? Also Joshua averaged well at the start of his career, i feel he has better potential than Hope for sure as that time he was averaging about 30s batting down the order.

Bevab

Staff Member

That’s pretty much the same XI as mine when you factor in the long paragraphs on either side of it (hid Bell-Drummond and Sinclair inside them). Alzarri is a decent batter who could hold out for a while for a bowler and Shamar could do a decent Shami impression for a while.

Fantastic post as always.

Users who are viewing this thread