West Indies tour of Australia 2024 (2 Tests, 3 ODIs, 3 T20Is)

What would be the Test series scoreline?

• 2-0 in favour of Australia

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • 2-0 in favour of West Indies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-1 tied

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 1-0 in favour of Australia

• 1-0 in favour of West Indies

• 0-0 tied

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Surely yeah, no point going back to him really

Hope in tests ? Happened too often and despite always being good in ODIs he never did well in Tests, how do you think that will change now? Also Joshua averaged well at the start of his career, i feel he has better potential than Hope for sure as that time he was averaging about 30s batting down the order.

It’s a small sample size but he does have two fifties and a century in the three FC games he’s played since his last test as I’ve mentioned earlier (two in county cricket and one in local domestic). Ideally you would want him to play a full season to prove it but how feasible is that for a white ball star who is also a captain in one format whilst getting T20 deals? I’m not sure where I heard it but King and Hope both would have been selected for this test series if they hadn’t committed to T20 deals earlier.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
One caveat I will offer is that we don't know for sure that it's as bad as it looks, because most of these players don't have the sample size to say for sure that they're not up to it yet. They're almost all at the start of their careers and may well go on to become proper Test quality batters. But yeah this is pretty dire lmao, because no matter how good they might end up being, you don't want your entire middle order debuting in the same game.

Of these, I feel like King, Lewis, Hope and Pooran are the ones who have the chops to play Test cricket. I'd also be disinclined to include someone like Pooran with quite so little first-class experience; even if you want to go down the route of picking players based on factors other than their domestic stats, I still think that learning to build an innings is an essential skill for a Test batter and for that reason I do think Pooran needs to go somewhere and learn that.

This is a really interesting selection of players. Obviously Mayers and Holder are the most proven at Test level. Well, Bravo too, but that ship sailed a long time ago now. However I think you could make a reasonable case that any one of perhaps six of these players could stake a reasonable claim that they would strengthen the current top six. This is sad.

The bowling unit is probably the part of the current team out in Australia, and there aren't too many names you'd want to add to it. Jayden Seales is obviously missing, but I don't think there are many out on T20 duty who would noticeably improve the Test team. Even Rahkeem - cult hero though he may be, I don't think he provides enough of a point of difference with bat or ball to make up for the reality of having to hide a fielder.

Personally, I would argue that 2009 was the tipping point with the players' strike. I think you'd be hard pushed to find any West Indies team that was definitively full strength since then.

I absolutely agree with you about King. Given the state of the facilities in West Indies domestic cricket, a first-class average of 35 is probably equivalent to a 40+ number in most other countries, and he's shown in white-ball cricket that he's got the ability to handle the best and fastest bowlers the world has to throw at him.

Yeah, King played recently against Bangladesh A and he batted at number five. So it's good that he does seem to have an interest in playing Test cricket, even if it hasn't happened yet. I also agree that Hope couldn't be a downgrade on Da Silva - they both average 25 in Test cricket, but Hope's stats are better in absolutely every other form of cricket. I also think Hope is probably the better gloveman: Da Silva's poor footwork was glaringly noticeable in the Test just gone, especially opposite Alex Carey.

Unrelated, but in Cricket Captain saves I used to pretty regularly pick Carlos in Test cricket just to get his batting average down below my next best active player at the time.

This is really telling: while I can understand the logic of not wanting to stick to the same players who haven't been delivering, Bonner, Chase and Hope have nine Test hundreds between them. For years, Chase would have been one of the very first names on my West Indies team sheet, but since his last Test hundred in 2019 he's played 20 Tests and averaged 17.40 with the bat and making a 50 only once every 9.25 innings. The saddest thing is that this might still be better than what you'd get out of players like Reifer, Solozano, Thomas, Hodge or Greaves who've been tried as batters in that time.

Absolutely. I would also be looking to aggressively restructure the domestic structure in the West Indies to make it better mirror international cricket. Obviously this is difficult because of the lack of funding, but I can always create a nice long post explaining my ideas in the future. As a tl;dr, I'd be looking to bring back the Combined Islands team, and have the scheduling run so that the competitions are run across a series of "tours" - for example, Jamaica could tour Barbados for three first-class games and three List A games. And each of these recurring series would have perpetual trophies as well, named after great West Indian cricketers.

Obviously the money doesn't exist for that, so you'd have to try to find a way.

I've not really engaged with the rest of this post because I agreed with it and thought your statistical evidence spoke for itself. That said, here's the XI I'd want:

1. :bat: Kraigg Brathwaite
2. :bat: Tagenarine Chanderpaul
3. :bat: Daniel Bell-Drummond (if he declined the offer, this place would go to Kirk McKenzie)
4. :bat: Alick Athanaze
5. :bat: Brandon King
6. :wkb: Shai Hope
7. :ar: Jason Holder or Kevin Sinclair
8. :bwl: Alzarri Joseph
9. :bwl: Shamar Joseph
10. :bwl: Gudakesh Motie or Kemar Roach
11. :bwl: Jayden Seales

It's still a really long tail though, so perhaps I should be looking to refine this team a little bit.

One thing I would say is that my ideal age to select people for the first time would be about 27-29, unless they're an exceptional world-beating talent. Obviously we're talking about West Indies cricket so there's no such thing as ideal anything.
Just general response to a few points.

I'd go Pooran cause he pretty much looks like the best batter in West Indies. Hope is probably up there too but I'd back Pooran at 6 or 7 and just give him a Travis Head style license to play his game. Of course it ultimately depends on if he'd even want to play test cricket.

I think 'Bazball' and someone like Head has shown there's more than one way to go about test cricket. Although it's fair to say all the England team and Head do have a solid grounding in first class cricket compared with Pooran But, I look at that West Indies side and think could he do any worse? Would think the same about Evin Lewis, although with Chanderpaul he seems at least more solid as an opener than John Campbell ever did.

It does feel like with Greaves and Hodge they've reached the second or probably even third options of players after having tried several others. It is at least good to see younger players like McKenzie and Athanaze come through

Daniel Bell-Drummond would walk into the side if he wanted to. I think he could get into every West Indies side in all formats. However, the consistency of a county deal - which I'd assume he'd probably have to give up would be a lot to lose.

I your XI, I think someone like Romario Shepherd or Keemo Paul at 7 (on the basis that Holder might not play again) would be a decent option. Then you could go Joseph x2, Seales and Motie or Sinclair in the longer term.

Bevab

Staff Member
Sinclair as the spin version of Jansen at seven is something I never knew I wanted.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
It's quite telling that, despite losing by 10 wickets ,Windies were very much in the game until the 7th wicket of the Australia innings. Although they were arguably out the game were it not for Shamar Joseph's cameo in the first innings.

A better batting line up would have competed, even scoring 250 in the first innings. Pakistan might have lost 3-0 but they did push Australia close at times and were usually let down by their own issues in the field.

You could easily see India challenging them again and dare I say it a Stokes-led England side. New Zealand should challenge them too.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Hope in tests ? Happened too often and despite always being good in ODIs he never did well in Tests, how do you think that will change now? Also Joshua averaged well at the start of his career, i feel he has better potential than Hope for sure as that time he was averaging about 30s batting down the order.
I don't feel that Hope would be likely to do markedly better than he has done previously in Tests. However, as I said in my post, he's still a fundamentally better player than Josh Da Silva who is currently trying to fill that role.
I'd go Pooran cause he pretty much looks like the best batter in West Indies. Hope is probably up there too but I'd back Pooran at 6 or 7 and just give him a Travis Head style license to play his game. Of course it ultimately depends on if he'd even want to play test cricket.

I think 'Bazball' and someone like Head has shown there's more than one way to go about test cricket. Although it's fair to say all the England team and Head do have a solid grounding in first class cricket compared with Pooran But, I look at that West Indies side and think could he do any worse? Would think the same about Evin Lewis, although with Chanderpaul he seems at least more solid as an opener than John Campbell ever did.
I think this is a strong counterpoint. Pooran is a quality player, and your point about him providing a different, freer approach to Test batting in the middle order is a strong one.

Also I do think everyone is sleeping on the fact that Tage Chanderpaul is a bog average Test batter. The only meaningful difference between Tage and Campbell is that Campbell never got to play against Zimbabwe on the flattest Test pitch outside of Pakistan (note that in Tage's 200 game, every innings in the game ended via declaration). Campbell played 20 Tests (none against Zimbabwe) and averaged 26 with a best of 68. Tage has so far played seven Tests against teams other than Zimbabwe, and in those has averaged 21 with a best of 51. If anything, based purely on the eye test I'd have more confidence in Campbell.

It does feel like with Greaves and Hodge they've reached the second or probably even third options of players after having tried several others. It is at least good to see younger players like McKenzie and Athanaze come through
Scraping.png

I would obviously love nothing more than for Greaves and Hodge to prove me wrong and really make themselves at home in Test cricket - akin to how Nkrumah Bonner came in averaging mid-20s in first-class cricket, but knew his game well enough to grind out the runs anyway when it mattered. Obviously this kind of player doesn't have the longest shelf life because there is ultimately a reason they only average mid-20s in first-class cricket.

Daniel Bell-Drummond would walk into the side if he wanted to. I think he could get into every West Indies side in all formats. However, the consistency of a county deal - which I'd assume he'd probably have to give up would be a lot to lose
Yeah, it's a tricky one for him for sure. At the minute Kent only have Wes Agar as an overseas player though, so there would be the room for DBD to stay on as Kent captain if he wanted to. Perhaps he should RNG it.

I your XI, I think someone like Romario Shepherd or Keemo Paul at 7 (on the basis that Holder might not play again) would be a decent option. Then you could go Joseph x2, Seales and Motie or Sinclair in the longer term.
I'm still a little uncomfortable with my batting order not having what you might call a "proper" batter at number seven (this being if Holder doesn't want to play again, of course) - but statistically there's little difference between the "proper" batters and the "bowlers who bat a bit" so it would probably come down to the eye test as much as anything else. I've not seen Sinclair bat yet so the jury's out, but Paul and Shepherd are two who always look pretty good with the bat. Greaves could possibly also be in the conversation in fairness to him.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I don't feel that Hope would be likely to do markedly better than he has done previously in Tests. However, as I said in my post, he's still a fundamentally better player than Josh Da Silva who is currently trying to fill that role.

I think this is a strong counterpoint. Pooran is a quality player, and your point about him providing a different, freer approach to Test batting in the middle order is a strong one.

Also I do think everyone is sleeping on the fact that Tage Chanderpaul is a bog average Test batter. The only meaningful difference between Tage and Campbell is that Campbell never got to play against Zimbabwe on the flattest Test pitch outside of Pakistan (note that in Tage's 200 game, every innings in the game ended via declaration). Campbell played 20 Tests (none against Zimbabwe) and averaged 26 with a best of 68. Tage has so far played seven Tests against teams other than Zimbabwe, and in those has averaged 21 with a best of 51. If anything, based purely on the eye test I'd have more confidence in Campbell.

View attachment 289655

I would obviously love nothing more than for Greaves and Hodge to prove me wrong and really make themselves at home in Test cricket - akin to how Nkrumah Bonner came in averaging mid-20s in first-class cricket, but knew his game well enough to grind out the runs anyway when it mattered. Obviously this kind of player doesn't have the longest shelf life because there is ultimately a reason they only average mid-20s in first-class cricket.

Yeah, it's a tricky one for him for sure. At the minute Kent only have Wes Agar as an overseas player though, so there would be the room for DBD to stay on as Kent captain if he wanted to. Perhaps he should RNG it.

I'm still a little uncomfortable with my batting order not having what you might call a "proper" batter at number seven (this being if Holder doesn't want to play again, of course) - but statistically there's little difference between the "proper" batters and the "bowlers who bat a bit" so it would probably come down to the eye test as much as anything else. I've not seen Sinclair bat yet so the jury's out, but Paul and Shepherd are two who always look pretty good with the bat. Greaves could possibly also be in the conversation in fairness to him.
Greaves looks like the perfect replacement for Mayers (or Devon Thomas who was playing last year) - a batting all rounder who ends up look more effective when given the ball.

Does feel like Chanderpaul's name is boosting appreciation of him a little. The romance of him coming a long and batting like his Dad. He's still only got one 50 and a massive double in a match where no team was bowled out. He probably does deserve at least as much of a chance as John Campbell got though.

I was looking at numbers the other and as derided as Campbell might have been, he still averaged more than Athanaze, Da Silva, Hetmyer, Brooks, Chase, Hope, Reifer, Powell, Bravo in the last five years. Maybe those performance enhancers did work after all. He has at least shown the ability to bat long which Campbell never did.

Viper.

County Cricketer
SRH...
Perth Scorchers
Profile Flag
Netherlands
Greaves looks like the perfect replacement for Mayers (or Devon Thomas who was playing last year) - a batting all rounder who ends up look more effective when given the ball.

Does feel like Chanderpaul's name is boosting appreciation of him a little. The romance of him coming a long and batting like his Dad. He's still only got one 50 and a massive double in a match where no team was bowled out. He probably does deserve at least as much of a chance as John Campbell got though.

I was looking at numbers the other and as derided as Campbell might have been, he still averaged more than Athanaze, Da Silva, Hetmyer, Brooks, Chase, Hope, Reifer, Powell, Bravo in the last five years. Maybe those performance enhancers did work after all. He has at least shown the ability to bat long which Campbell never did.
With the current problems in WI's batting Chanderpaul is the last man they should be looking at dropping . The entire middle order is transitioning and their opening is really the one decent part of their batting. But true, just like before, WI being terrible shouldn't be a reason for the "less-worse" players to be backed even more than they deserve, but if the problems in the middle-order are way worse then it's probably not gonna be right to drop the opener as well too early. Its kinda how Mayers, Blackwood etc probably played for so much , concealing their bad performances as the entire side was terribly performing. So Chanderpaul will get the backing for a while, and hopefully delivers or WI have an opener conundrum again.
Post automatically merged:

Also Campbell averaged 20 or something, just 20 and not even mid 20s as opener, the last time I saw. He was defo worse than Brooks, Blackwood, Chase, Joshua when they were all playing.

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
Harsh on Motie to be left out, but I suppose they wanted extra batting insurance

Users who are viewing this thread