West Indies Tour of India - September/November 2018

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
England and South Africa and Aussies

No. They're all up and down bowlers. England is riding high on their all rounders. Less said about SA the better and the Aussies have a great test bowling line up but they all travel in limited overs. Hell, they don't even play limited overs 90% of the time.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Poor bowling from Chahal , so much down the leg in a pitch where the ball is skidding more due to the dew factor..

Kuldeep also bowled some loose deliveries but took wickets..Need to really learn the line to bowl to Hetmeyer which should be outside off..

Not sure whether it's being taken lightly or being experimented by batting first in a pitch where there's dew factor..

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Playing two WK batsmen in the XI is just to protect Dhoni. He should hang up now and not drag his career to the WC. Any failure from Dhoni in the WC will as much be a mess up from the team management as from the man himself. It makes more sense for Pant to be the keeper and some genuine batsman like Rahul in Dhoni's place. What makes Dhoni indispensable here? I simply cannot understand.
Protect? Bringing Pant in was just to put the pressure on Dhoni, he's been in the XI too long without making any substantial score. It's a smart move too. Giving Pant a go at the international level in ODI's is perfect as there's only a few more series till the World Cup. If Pant scores something big, Dhoni will be gone. Dhoni has had it way too easy for him in the past year, it's either score or go.

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Protect? Bringing Pant in was just to put the pressure on Dhoni, he's been in the XI too long without making any substantial score. It's a smart move too. Giving Pant a go at the international level in ODI's is perfect as there's only a few more series till the World Cup. If Pant scores something big, Dhoni will be gone. Dhoni has had it way too easy for him in the past year, it's either score or go.

Protect because we don`t need two keeper batsmen in the same XI. If we were not protecting him, he would've replaced Dhoni and not playing as a pure batsman. Dhoni has been a legend in white ball cricket but he is not the same Dhoni anymore. His last inning of worth was against SA at Indore in that 2015 series. Since then he has regressed to a point that he is using up a spot. Also, why should we not play a genuine batsman in his spot? Why is it that Karthik, who did not have a bad Asia cup (considering the generally slow scoring rates in that tournament) can be dropped on the basis of that one tournament but not Dhoni who has been practically doing the same for the past 3 years or so. If we want to win big tournaments and not just be happy with meaningless bilateral events, we have to take tough decisions. Mark my words, if Dhoni struggles in the World Cup, the team management would be as responsible (if not more) for the disaster. His game is not suited to the 350+ matches that we so often get in modern ODI cricket. I would'nt be saying this if he was going even at a 100 SR and was being consistent. Currently, he is really holding us back, and by delaying that big decision regarding him so late, we have made it hard for all concerned. Dhoni himself in his prime dropped Dravid, Ganguly, Sehwag, Tendulkar and Gambhir (the latter in the 2012 CB series citing them costing runs in the field) for the betterment of Indian cricket. India won the 2011 WC and 2013 CT in that phase. Australia dropped Steve and Mark Waugh in the run up to 2003 WC. We`ve got to wake up and smell the coffee.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I feel Dhoni should be dropped. He should not be taking up a batting spot that too in the middle order just because he helps the captain out with field placings and all. His time is up and he needs to be told "Thank you for the service but we need to move on". It's not as if winning the 2019 WC will give Dhoni an elusive WC win. He won it as captain in 2011 and will forever be remembered in Indian cricket's Hall of Fame for it. He can be afforded the respect of making the decision himself but if he does not, the button has to be pressed. Dinesh Karthik should be brought back for the experience and both him and Pant should fight it out for the slot.

Karnveer

Banned
Mahendra singh better player for india while bats lower down than forced to bats at 5 or 4 by his coach or captain.

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
Why did they drop Shami?

Last edited:

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Last edited:

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Very much surprised that Jadhav is dropped. He should have played at his normal spot !

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Very much surprised that Jadhav is dropped. He should have played at his normal spot !

That would have meant dropping someone from the batting lineup and you know who is most ideally suited to be dropped now, Dhoni. Hence, no Jadhav.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Indian selectors have been largely on the stupid side of things, off late. No communication with players as to what's in store for them, especially when you were till recently being regarded as 'very valuable' or a 'frontline player'.

Jadhav adds to this stupidity by saying that he was not informed about his non-selection in the last 3 ODI's nor the reason why he has been dropped. He is fit now and is playing Deodhar trophy to prove it.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
First off, let's just accept Dhoni will play the 2019 world cup. I still think there's a space for him, but that's at 4. The travesty has happened with DK. No version of Rayudu is better than DK. Hell, I don't even know what wrong DK did to get dropped? He was exactly the insurance policy needed just in case something happened to Dhoni. He was a valuable keeper, a brilliant finisher now and also not a liability in the field like Pant. I think the move to drop Jadhav tells me India are set to play both Pandya and Jadeja and I like that move. What they should now do is keep Chahal as the back up to Kuldeep and play 3 quicks in the starting XI. I'd personally give Khaleel a run. The left armer gives variety and to me, that kid looked sharp with a bit of a ticker to boot.

Top 3, Dhoni, DK, Pandya, Jadeja, Kuldeep, Bhuvi, Bumrah and Khaleel/Shami would be my XI. Rahul, Chahal and Manish Pandey on the bench.

I remember being one of the first people here to advocate two wrist spinners but it's clear that Chahal isn't as effective as before and he definitely gets eaten up by the top batters. The most important thing is that dropping him opens up the spot for another seamer and doesn't make our attack one dimensional. It is the bowling that will win us the world cup, the batsmen these days are mostly the same amongst the top teams.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
Frankly, Jadhav doesn't give me the confidence that he will last long. His hamstring problem makes him too brittle to play a full series/tournament. His bowling can be handy but he is also a sore fielder.

Given the backlash Dhoni has been getting in the recent times, it's a very interesting comment made by ABD. Surely he must be seeing something that most others aren't able to.

Users who are viewing this thread