What games have you been playing recently?

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I've been learning to play Crusader Kings 2. I'm hooked.

One of the greatest PC games ever made. Gets even better once you nab a few essential dlcs off a sale and/or play multiplayer with some friends.

I’ve transitioned to CK3 myself but still have a soft spot for the second game due to how much immersion it has over the newer one.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
One of the greatest PC games ever made. Gets even better once you nab a few essential dlcs off a sale and/or play multiplayer with some friends.

I’ve transitioned to CK3 myself but still have a soft spot for the second game due to how much immersion it has over the newer one.
I tried it a few years ago but couldn't get my head around it. Watched someone people playing Paradox games and been wanting to it another try.

I was playing Civ 6 again and not feeling it so fired up CK2. After about three hours of 'how to play CK2' videos and it started to make some more sense.

Definitely t will keep an eye out for sales over Christmas for some DLC.

Last edited:

Till Valhalla

ICC Chairman
The Boys
Profile Flag
Papua New Guinea
I tried it a few years ago but couldn't get my head around it. Watched someone people playing Paradox games and been wanting to it another try.

I was playing Civ 6 again and not feeling it so fired up CK2. After about three hours of 'how to play CK2' videos and it started to make some more sense.

Definitely think the DLC will keep an eye out for sales over Christmas for some DLC.
Their tutorial is good but it doesn't go into details of breeding simulator.

Bevab

Staff Member

Definitely t will keep an eye out for sales over Christmas for some DLC.

There's just so much to take in. Been playing through and realising there are things I should've been doing about three rulers ago. But once I've got the hang of it I've been enjoying it a lot.

Once you’re fed the diet of Paradox’s Grand Strategy games there’s no going back to Civ again as it feels so shallow in comparison. The only issue I have with them is possibly that you can’t do a caveman era to futuristic run like in Civ as the save file converters aren’t as good as they once were for switching between different Paradox games but if you can get that working too I think you’d have everything set. :lol

Once you’re bored with vanilla I’d recommend checking out the mods too. They’re some of the best and most detailed I’ve ever played, a mod like AGOT is good enough to be a separate game on it’s own.

I don’t think I even came close to being competent in CK2 myself, the game was just too complex that I gave up and played only certain rulers and play-styles. CK3 is thankfully not that complicated and still has plenty of challenge. The whole series is definitely a tough to master one especially if you play certain rulers.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Once you’re fed the diet of Paradox’s Grand Strategy games there’s no going back to Civ again as it feels so shallow in comparison. The only issue I have with them is possibly that you can’t do a caveman era to futuristic run like in Civ as the save file converters aren’t as good as they once were for switching between different Paradox games but if you can get that working too I think you’d have everything set. :lol

Once you’re bored with vanilla I’d recommend checking out the mods too. They’re some of the best and most detailed I’ve ever played, a mod like AGOT is good enough to be a separate game on it’s own.

I don’t think I even came close to being competent in CK2 myself, the game was just too complex that I gave up and played only certain rulers and play-styles. CK3 is thankfully not that complicated and still has plenty of challenge. The whole series is definitely a tough to master one especially if you play certain rulers.
Yeah, CK2 just hits differently :lol Civ is a game that I like but it nearly always boring about half the way through when it becomes a click fest. I feel like this could happen with CK2 but because it feels more open-ended there's less of a sense of failure by not playing it through.

I've loved working through this. Feels like with each new ruler the game shifts a little bit and you can play it differently - that's something that is lacking from Civ.

Started in a county in Ireland with an overall goal of expansion (as well as figuring out wtf I'm supposed to do). Had some early successes, got some land in Wales before being driven out by the English scum. Eventually managed to expand my holdings in Ireland at this point.

I suspect I'll check out some ASOIAF mods at some point.

Till Valhalla

ICC Chairman
The Boys
Profile Flag
Papua New Guinea
well as figuring out wtf I'm supposed to
Tbh I also don't know 60% of things, I just keep fighting and making my threat rise. But I also play it like sandbox, need some help console to the rescue.
Have been successful once in creating an Empire. I think it's called Empire of Hispania(I like to see how far I go in tutorial plus with no dlc my first choices are not available), I think with either 2nd generation or 3rd generation.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Tbh I also don't know 60% of things, I just keep fighting and making my threat rise. But I also play it like sandbox, need some help console to the rescue.
Have been successful once in creating an Empire. I think it's called Empire of Hispania(I like to see how far I go in tutorial plus with no dlc my first choices are not available), I think with either 2nd generation or 3rd generation.
I tried the tutorial and struggled a little. But I read starting in Ireland is a safe bet.

Watched some videos explaining what the game is all about, but usually have about ten tabs open in my browser where I've Googled 'CK2 wtf do I do about...'

Bevab

Staff Member

I tried the tutorial and struggled a little. But I read starting in Ireland is a safe bet.

Watched some videos explaining what the game is all about, but usually have about ten tabs open in my browser where I've Googled 'CK2 wtf do I do about...'

Ireland used to be easier once upon a time apparently before the major DLCs hit. If you’re looking for other characters to play, the ones I’ve tried and been successful with alongside being good recommendations online are…

• The Polish ruler (Boleslaw?) who’s independent and has plenty of land to conquer eastwards without much resistance. Also has good stats if I remember.
  • Bohemia’s ruler is a good shout if you wanna play in the HRE but don’t want to start as the Emperor right away. I’d even say that the best start in this game is one where you have only a duchy at max and can get your realm well manages before creating kingdoms and empires. Playing in the HRE means you’re well protected from having your land invaded by external forces and will only have to deal with the politics inside the HRE which also is a good learning experience for navigating all of that. You can slowly work your way to Emperor of HRE via elections which inevitably happens, often at the moment you least want it. Bohemia also has a special mine that gives you extra gold per month if I remember correctly.
  • If you want a game where you dabble in intrigue and murder (with a learning course for it) then King Alfonso in Spain is a good place to start. He inherits the realms of his two brothers if they die and they’re both kingdoms too. Once you unite them you can focus on unifying the rest of Christian Spain (much like the real life version IIRC) and eventually try to form the Hispanic Empire down the line as @Till Valhalla has mentioned. Pretty fun experience overall.
  • A good female ruler to try out is Duchess Matilda in Italy who has excellent stats and a good slate to write your own story on.
  • A good Viking start in the earlier start date would be Haestainn (sp?) who should have a good force from which you can invade a realm and settle there (forgot how the mechanic works in CK2). Another good one is Ivarr the Boneless in the Isle of Mann or else the guy in Norway (Fairhair I assume) who starts with slightly more troops for you to unify the tribes of Norway. I’m not sure if these are locked behind DLC though due to the earlier starting date. If only 1066 is available then the king of Denmark is a good shout, he’s got a lot of children to marry off for securing good alliances and slowly working your way towards claims and eventually getting your dynasty as rulers of powerful kingdoms or even securing those lands for yourself. This will be a good learning experience for managing inheritance and alliances and working your way towards a bigger kingdom and empire diplomatically.

Tfiwssirhc

#bemore
ENG....
Manchester Originals
TPCL Titans
Anyone with an Xbox do you have to pay a monthly fee to play online?
Yeah Xbox Gold £6.99 a month,but you'd be better off having Gamepass ultimate 4 quid a month more,but as well as getting online play you'll also get access to over 100 Gamepass games including cricket 22 and all the EA games.

Users who are viewing this thread