worst ever test cricketer?

The names suggested above for the worst test cricketer`s title have all played less than 10 test matches and that is hardly a huge number in the modern game where teams like england and Australia play 10 test mtches in 2 to 3 month`s time as they tend to play more 5 or 4 test match series .
So it would be unfair on the players to label them as `worst` .
Consider the example of Rob Key . In his debut series against India he dropped plenty of catches and made no runs and Indi ended up levelling the series at Leeds in 2002 . If u would have asked me this question at that time , my answer would have been Rob Key but on seeing some of his performances in the past year or two , we know he is a better player than what we saw in 2002 . Consider Atapattu`s case where he scored 5 ducks in his 1st 5 tests , Many would have called him a poor test cricketer then but now SRL must b relieved that they gave him more chances to prove himself .
The Maharaja must be a good contender though as prashant said!

how about present zim side????? must be a few in there - only time will tell,,,,

Sureshot said:
Who in your opinion is the worst ever test player?

of late i would say Rikki Clarke

He actually had a good start to test cricket.

M 2
I 3
R 96
HS 55
Av 37.94

O 29
M 11
R 60
W 4
Av 9.90

He just averages a pathetic 9 in one-day cricket.

bobmotty said:
how about present zim side????? must be a few in there - only time will tell,,,,

I think they've got a few young players who could turn out to be pretty good with experience.

If they were good enough to make the Test team, they can't be so bad to be called 'the worst'
Otherwise, I will have to say Chris Harris because he has done wonders for N.Z.'s ODI side but really failed at test level and didn't play to his potential.

Sureshot said:
so who should be the next england test bowler?

Giles is 31 so 4 years left maybe.

Bridge at durham is 24 i think.

Wouldn't have a clue, could play four (5 with Flintoff) seamers in the future, which is abit risky because of the lack of variationg, but i'd be happier with another seam bowler than Gareth Batty. No offence to Batty, but I don't think he's ever going to cut it at test level. But as you say, who should be the next. Who's the Lancashire SLA, can't remember his name, but sounded like he did fairly well last season?

It's Gary Keedy at Lancashire. 72 wickets at 25.68 last year, and 60 at 26.55 in 2003. The problem with him is that he's pretty much useless with the bat, although with Hoggard and Harmison improving their batting that isn't as much of a problem. He's one of several players at Lancashire that played for England Under 19s and has never made the senior side.

I played at Yorkshire U15's with an English Asian lad who bowled quality leg-spin. That was ten years ago now, I wonder what happened to him...

Sure, Hansie was a fixer, but that doesnt mean he was gifted with runs. The fixing was done on a more intelligent level than that. Just look at that test match England won where Hansie was actually praised for his contribution to cricket for "contriving" a result. Little did people know the true reasons for that at the time. Anyway, this threads not about match fixing, so Ill stop there.

Users who are viewing this thread