X1950XT, artefacts and VPU Recovery

Well, the minimum advisable would probably be a 600w psu, but you may want to go a little higher than that.

Thats a nice system, i want one. :p

ok....i want some help here.....if my config is the following :-

Intel Quad core Q9550
Intel DP35 Motherboard
6GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
Sapphire TOXIC HD 4870 1GB
1 Terabyte HDD
Arctic Freezer Pro 7

what kind of a cabinet and a PSU / SMPS would i require ??

Wow, that's a nice system! How much will that lot cost??

In the manual for the X1950XT, it says to uninstall previous drivers and configure the system to run under the VGA drivers. How do you do that? I know about driversweeper and all that.

Last edited:
Just use add/remove programmes to uninstall the ATI drivers. Restart the pc, turn it off. Remove old card, add new card, install cat 9.1's and you should be good to go.

Just use add/remove programmes to uninstall the ATI drivers. Restart the pc, turn it off. Remove old card, add new card, install cat 9.1's and you should be good to go.

Well, it's been quite a day!

For some reason, the damned drivers from the old card weren't wiped completely with drivercleaner or driversweeper or anything else, so when the new card was installed, the PC just kept restarting. I took it down to the shop to get help and we tried everything we could think of, including trying to do it from safe mode (which usually worked for me when I was having trouble updating the drivers for the X1950XT). The technichian at the shop came to the conclusion that the a driver remnant must have been conflicting with the new 4850 drivers. I suggested trying VGA mode, no luck. Safe mode and try to clean the drivers again: that just made the PC hang on the desktop screen without any icons coming up! I was there from 11am to 3pm, for what should've been around a 30 minute job. To cut a long story short, we ended up formatting C:\ and reinstalling Windows, so I've had a fun day applying all the goddamn updates for that and for virus killers and so on.

AAAAAaaanyway, finally, I was able to get some gaming on the go. Team Fortress 2 (which was making the other card go into the high nineties) tops out at around 55 degrees with absolutely everything maxed out, so this cooler deserves its name of 'Glaciator'! Nice new Corsair PSU as well, so should be all good for another year or so (but then I'll probably need a new CPU and more RAM).

Thanks for all your help, guys! We got there in the end... :cheers

Couldnt you have just taken the graphics card out^

Would that have worked?

Maybe he means taking it out, putting the old one back, recleaning everything, and then putting the new one in. :p Although maybe you tried it.

Well done on having the card set now. You're in the gaming club! (Now go and check FIFA 09 on the highest settings :p )

Maybe he means taking it out, putting the old one back, recleaning everything, and then putting the new one in. :p Although maybe you tried it.

Well done on having the card set now. You're in the gaming club! (Now go and check FIFA 09 on the highest settings :p )

Yeps, I think we did try that. One question: my broadband seems to be working fine, my email addresses are all ok, but the BT Broadband software isn't actually installed on the PC. Do I really need that, or would it be a waste of space, since everything is working fine? It does take up a fair amount of space...

If its working fine without it, why install it?

Glad everything is up and working. ;)

If its working fine without it, why install it?

Glad everything is up and working. ;)

Thanks and now I have a decent PSU, I can expect a few years of use from it (I don't mind going down to medium, or even low settings when it's necessary).

As for the BT Broadband stuff, if I don't really need it, then I won't fill up my C drive with it...

Mate i suggest you update to ATI drives 9.2, they offer improved performance in games where you are cpu limited, which in your case will apply. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread