Warm up matches

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
It was many people's first matches on English soil. I don't think Rohit Sharma or Yusuf Pathan have played in England earlier, but I may be mistaken. Also, I'm fairly sure Jadeja has toured with the U-21 side and they may have come to England.

sohum added 2 Minutes and 11 Seconds later...

I already told you why what Gambhir did was perfectly okay. Besides, Gambhir made 14 from 15. Jadeja made 41 from 41. Once you make more than 30-odd in a Twenty20 game, if you're not striking at above 100 you're not really helping your side out very much, especially when the conditions are so good for batting. I daresay if we had sent Yusuf in instead of Jadeja we may even have won the match.

Anyways, thankfully Jadeja won't be a part of the final XI. We have plenty of players who can graft when necessary (Gambhir, Rohit, Dhoni) and who also have the ability to go over the top.

So why is getting out for 14 okay? I can see what your saying about Jadeja but I don't think scoring 14 runs is okay for an opening batsmen.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
It was many people's first matches on English soil. I don't think Rohit Sharma or Yusuf Pathan have played in England earlier, but I may be mistaken. Also, I'm fairly sure Jadeja has toured with the U-21 side and they may have come to England.

I'm still backing him to become a world class all rounder (if not in T20 then in the other formats). He'll prove you wrong, Sohum :p.

deerkick

Club Cricketer
I agree with this being Gambhir's fault really. Jadeja was pretty slow but atleast he did something. Gambhir's recent form has been atrocious to say the least. But it was bound to happen. I mean the man had a ridiculous 08-09 season. He managed to raise his average in tests from like 35 to over 50 in a year which is pretty damn amazing. He is due for a bad patch for now. We should just stick with him IMO since our other players are capable of holding out. Playing with a strong side he will eventually regain his form.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
WTF

Slip-up in death overs cost India - Dhoni | Cricket News | ICC World Twenty20 2009 | Cricinfo.com

Instead of yorkers, we wanted to bowl back of the length deliveries in the final three overs," Dhoni was quoted as saying by PTI. "We have seen other teams do it regularly so we wanted to use this opportunity of warm-up game to try it out. Unfortunately, it didn't work today. If we have to go to the basics of bowling yorkers, we would do so.

Scratch that plan Captain cool.

Four defeats in four matches is a bit of concern," Dhoni said. But he was confident of his players' ability to combat Vettori despite the New Zealand captain's success against India. In fact, Vettori was largely responsible for India's only loss in the World Twenty20 in 2007, a tournament they eventually won. "In one of the overs he was also hit for 20 runs by Suresh Raina. So it's not as if he can't be attacked or 40-50 runs can't be taken off his bowling," he said

:rolleyes:

Yeah so when playing New Zealand you should look to hit Vettori for 40-50 runs because the other bowlers are so good. I know it was only a warm-up game but Dhoni sounds a tad like Rickey Ponting in this interview.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Erm, don't think he was saying that. Just saying that it is possible to get after Vettori, and that he's the key bowler. Not sure where you've got the idea that he said the other bowlers are so good =/

That plan has been put to use by England in ODi's recently, especially with Broad. He's been bowling at 90mph plus, bowling back of a length with the odd slower bouncer and it seems to be working for him and for us. Not sure India have the bowlers to pull off that sort of plan though, Ishant's the only one that's even remotely a hit the deck bowler. I'd stick to Zaheer and RP bowling yorkers at the death personally.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Erm, don't think he was saying that. Just saying that it is possible to get after Vettori, and that he's the key bowler. Not sure where you've got the idea that he said the other bowlers are so good =/

That plan has been put to use by England in ODi's recently, especially with Broad. He's been bowling at 90mph plus, bowling back of a length with the odd slower bouncer and it seems to be working for him and for us. Not sure India have the bowlers to pull off that sort of plan though, Ishant's the only one that's even remotely a hit the deck bowler. I'd stick to Zaheer and RP bowling yorkers at the death personally.

I was joking. ;)

Any team playing NZ only needs to score around 20-25 runs of Vettori's bowling. The rest of the attack is pretty hittable.

Howsie added 2 Minutes and 8 Seconds later...

That plan has been put to use by England in ODi's recently, especially with Broad. He's been bowling at 90mph plus, bowling back of a length with the odd slower bouncer and it seems to be working for him and for us. Not sure India have the bowlers to pull off that sort of plan though, Ishant's the only one that's even remotely a hit the deck bowler. I'd stick to Zaheer and RP bowling yorkers at the death personally

It just sounded like he was making excuses for his bowlers, no one in there right mind would bowl length balls at 85mph in the last few overs.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
It just sounded like he was making excuses for his bowlers, no one in there right mind would bowl length balls at 85mph in the last few overs.

It's a warm up match... It's best if you don't change a new plan after a few balls as it may be a good plan but the bowlers are not executing it well. They can afford to go for a few runs in a warm up match as even if there is a little indication of the plan working, they might pursue/practice/work on this plan in the actual tournament.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
It's a warm up match... It's best if you don't change a new plan after a few balls as it may be a good plan but the bowlers are not executing it well. They can afford to go for a few runs in a warm up match as even if there is a little indication of the plan working, they might pursue/practice/work on this plan in the actual tournament.

I know it was a warm up game and teams will try things but bowling length balls at the death is not a very good plan. I have never heard a coach or seen a player want to do that at the death. I don't think too many captains would even bother with that theory.

Howsie added 52 Minutes and 33 Seconds later...

Bangladesh are batting first, i'm hoping Tamin Iqbal makes a few today.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Ireland batting first against the Windies.

Iqbal is such a raw talent, hopefully he pans out for Bangladesh.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Siddique gone, awful stroke. Nice slower ball from Maharoof though, really seemed to keep low, dropped his pace into the 60's!

King Pietersen added 3 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

LOL. That's what you call a mix-up. Both batsmen ending up at the same end. Sri Lanka win.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Iqbal gone, that was some real bad running.

Howsie added 3 Minutes and 23 Seconds later...

Siddique gone, awful stroke. Nice slower ball from Maharoof though, really seemed to keep low, dropped his pace into the 60's!

King Pietersen added 3 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

LOL. That's what you call a mix-up. Both batsmen ending up at the same end. Sri Lanka win.

I wouldn't say it's over yet, Shakib has just hit a few fours.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
So why is getting out for 14 okay? I can see what your saying about Jadeja but I don't think scoring 14 runs is okay for an opening batsmen.
Really, I mean Gambhir should be getting 50's every game. :rolleyes: Jadeja's 41 runs were valuable but the pace at which they came were unacceptable. When you need to chase at over 8.5 an over, you can't use more than 30% of the available overs to score at a run a ball. Gambhir got out trying to force the pace and in doing so freed up the middle order for players like Raina, Dhoni and Yusuf (with the latter two not getting in yesterday). In doing that, him getting out for 14 from 15 was much better than if he had scored 41 at a run a ball.

A finisher needs to be able to go over the top when required, as much as he needs to bide his time waiting for the appropriate time to attack. Jadeja can hang around but he just doesn't have the ability or strength, yet, to go over the top and finish the game. A number 7 such as Yusuf Pathan would be more useful, in my opinion.

sohum added 6 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

Bangladesh looked to have adjusted nicely to the Twenty20 game... or it may just be that this is something like there 5th or 6th warm-up game for this event! I'm impressed by Shakib al Hasan. He's one of the few Bangladeshi's who's been able to use his talent somewhat consistently.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Really, I mean Gambhir should be getting 50's every game. :rolleyes: Jadeja's 41 runs were valuable but the pace at which they came were unacceptable. When you need to chase at over 8.5 an over, you can't use more than 30% of the available overs to score at a run a ball. Gambhir got out trying to force the pace and in doing so freed up the middle order for players like Raina, Dhoni and Yusuf (with the latter two not getting in yesterday). In doing that, him getting out for 14 from 15 was much better than if he had scored 41 at a run a ball.

A finisher needs to be able to go over the top when required, as much as he needs to bide his time waiting for the appropriate time to attack. Jadeja can hang around but he just doesn't have the ability or strength, yet, to go over the top and finish the game. A number 7 such as Yusuf Pathan would be more useful, in my opinion.

Well when I read one of your earlier posts I got the feeling that you valued Gambhirs innings more then Jadeja's, I would take 41 of 41 over 14 of 15 in any form of cricket. If Jadeja and Gambhir had of batted with each other, one of them would of gone for it a lot earlier. I wouldn't mind seeing how many dot balls Jadeja faced though.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
I don't understand how David Lloyd hasn't seen Ajantha Mendis previously. He's a television Cricketing Pundit, he should have seen a guy like Mendis at least once, it's inexcusable really. We're not talking about a guy who's not played any International/TV cricket, he's played 6 Tests, 28 ODi's, 2 T20i's and played in the IPL, how he's not seen him amazes me. If I was a professional cricketing pundit I'd want to watch as much cricket as possible, so that I'm up to scratch with how teams are performing, and how players are performing. Quite unprofessional I think.

Users who are viewing this thread