IPL IPL: 500 players to be auctioned in July

Fatal Shot

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Meh, it only matters for those who actually feel the city/state rivalries within the IPL. Frankly, I don't. I wasn't very saddened by the fact that BRC beat CSK in the semis, for example. I watch it for the players, not the teams.

If the IPL want's to be a proper league then they can't go on like this. Look at the NBA. I'm a fan of the Bulls because I grew up watching Jordan. Now I'll always be a Bulls fan, even though my favorite players (Allen Iverson and Keven Garnett) don't play for them. Same applies for many Football fans. Lot's of people are Man U fans, but their favorite player doesn't have to be from Man U. I agree that some people watch for the players, but if you can't get the people to support one team, then ultimately you're failing at creating a 'league'. In the long term, if you can't have people supporting certain teams, then people will lose interest in it, because as you said, if the passion isn't there for that side, then you won't care who wins or loses.

Now lets elaborate further on the example I've given. If the Bulls are out of the playoffs, I'll root for the Celtics, because of Garnett, but if they lose I won't be as shaken. But when the Bulls lose, I'm pretty much devastated, because supporting a team means much more than supporting a player. If the IPL want's to succeed, they have to get the fans to support the teams first, and the players second.

BKB1991

Panel of Selectors
^^^ True.

One thing members have failed to mention is that the new teams will be handicapped seriously. They dont have the top 32 Indians to pick from (i.e. if my Maths is correct) This was inevitable though and after this draft I reckon the teams should stay to 10 unless Modi wants this to be the EPL or something

Ari

International Cricketer
To be honest this is the only part of the IPL that interests me - when the franchises have to try and build a team.

Couldn't care less about the tournament itself.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Hard to build loyal fans if you keep changing the team drastically every 3 years.

and also when you just put together a team randomly with ass loada money to begin with. you gotta have a lil background to it.. history and culture

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
I am really not concerned about who is auctioned and who isn't as long as Deccan Chargers keep bringing in those beauties every year to "cheer" their team on :happy

Offspinner

Club Cricketer
I loved T20 cricket when it started as a bit of fun for the players and spectators. The money-loaded farce that IPL has turned it into has become a real annoyance for me.

I can never understand the appeal behind it when there is no pride shown by the players in their team. They just go to the team who has the most cash for them. If an auction was done before the first season and the teams stayed the same with some trades, recruiting it wouldn't be so bad.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Agree with this OFFIE. More teams and more games = overkill. What will Modi do next - extend the IPL to 3 months?

The main problem for me is that there is no increase in the foreign player limit. If only 4 can play, he can't then turn around and campaign for an international window, as only a fraction of international players will actually be involved. It's not fun watching Indian youngsters running around when a team has 8 international stars on their bench.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I am really not concerned about who is auctioned and who isn't as long as Deccan Chargers keep bringing in those beauties every year to "cheer" their team on :happy

He he... Yeah, that will be something to look forward to.:laugh All those beauties dancing to Bollywood songs.:D

SaiSrini added 1 Minutes and 48 Seconds later...

Agree with this OFFIE. More teams and more games = overkill. What will Modi do next - extend the IPL to 3 months?

The main problem for me is that there is no increase in the foreign player limit. If only 4 can play, he can't then turn around and campaign for an international window, as only a fraction of international players will actually be involved. It's not fun watching Indian youngsters running around when a team has 8 international stars on their bench.

The idea behind the IPL is to give the Indian players maximum exposure. With the addition of two new teams, more foreigners will land up with contracts, but in the XI, the presence of Indian players should be more to boost our domestic talent.

But 94 games is seriously insane!!!!

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Offspinner pretty much summed up my feelings. He's much better than that Cutters fellow :p

This is quite possibly my worst nightmare. 94 games, that's going to take two months! Overkill is the biggest turn off from anything.

Deccan better retain Gilly :p Wherever he is is where my loyalties lie :D

But it's unlikely after this that I'll bother with the IPL anymore :facepalm

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Maybe they will have 2-3 games everyday and that will play a big role in keeping the tournament to 1 and a half months or less.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
He he... Yeah, that will be something to look forward to.:laugh All those beauties dancing to Bollywood songs.:D

SaiSrini added 1 Minutes and 48 Seconds later...

The idea behind the IPL is to give the Indian players maximum exposure. With the addition of two new teams, more foreigners will land up with contracts, but in the XI, the presence of Indian players should be more to boost our domestic talent.

But 94 games is seriously insane!!!!

I don't mind the idea of promoting Indian cricket - it is an INDIAN league after all. But that's not the way Modi acts, he acts like he's running a WORLD league, threatening national boards and other countries domestic competitions that if they aren't letting their IPL players go he'll tear up contracts blah blah. I suppose he's only protecting his interests, but he must be aware of the tremendous pulling power of big contracts and what it could do to international cricket.

And that's why I'm against the move to increase the international roster. He's only doing it to say 'hey look we've got this big name and that big name in the IPL and to accumulate power. Most of those 'names' will never play and will be getting big pay days for sitting on the bench. Good for the IPL, but bad for world cricket IMHO.

King Cricket

International Coach
sifter123 said:
I don't mind the idea of promoting Indian cricket - it is an INDIAN league after all. But that's not the way Modi acts, he acts like he's running a WORLD league, threatening national boards and other countries domestic competitions that if they aren't letting their IPL players go he'll tear up contracts blah blah. I suppose he's only protecting his interests, but he must be aware of the tremendous pulling power of big contracts and what it could do to international cricket.

That's why even the Indians hate Lalit Modi.

The IPL was pretty interesting in the beginning. But Modi and his stupid ideas are gradually reducing it to a joke league. Was there really any need to increase the number of teams and re-auction the players? Geez! More teams will mean more matches, and more matches will mean a total loss of interest!! Is Modi mentally unstable or what?

King Cricket

International Coach
He is just a shrewd businessman and a marketing guru par excellence.

But he is killing his own goddamn league!! More games will mean nothing but a huge drop in the TV ratings of IPL! Ninety six matches of non-stop T-20 are more than enough to make people lose interest in Modi's tournament.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread