Commonwealth Bank Series Feb-Mar 2011/12

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
He's guilty of the same Minor Over Rate Offence that's been in play since 2009. The change was to bring forward the repeat offence sanction from 3 offences to 2. If it was his first offence in 12 months, he wouldn't get suspended and he's obviously aware of the change because it's the exact same reason he missed the Adelaide Test. I personally think he's just lucky they don't count Test and ODIs together.

It's not like they only had to bowl two overs after six o'clock. The over rate was two overs behind. Per hour. This is a lot more frustrating in day night games than Tests. It's almost a given that a Test will run over and even if it does, it does so in daylight. Fans can't necessarily wait till midnight while a captain sets his field.

The umpires were on his case too yesterday as well, Dhoni said that they told him during the innings he needed to hurry up. The innings was 31 minutes overtime which is MASSIVE. There was some farting around with drinks being run out to batsmen and the 3rd umpire stuff, but the vast majority of that 30 mins is on Dhoni and having 4 fast bowlers. Part of it also seemed to be the left-right hand combo in the middle overs and the fielders seemed to take longer than usual to get into the mirror positions for the right and then lefties.

The other interesting point he made was about Jadeja, and that Australia had too many left handers to give him a go. Surely he might have known that before the game? And is Jadeja really so incompetent against left handers? It's one of my pet hates at present that captains always want the ball spinning away from the bat and are willing to bowl lesser bowlers just to see that happen.

As for the talk of Clarke coming back for Ponting - yes surely that's true. But the other interesting conundrum is Shane Watson, who I think is the best opener we have and probably the best ODI player we have. He HAS to come back. Does Christian make way and Wade just move to #7? Not sure they want Watson bowling 10 overs per game at this stage. So if he's just a batsmen does he and Clarke come in for Forrest and Ponting with Watto at #3? Maybe he comes in for Warner straight swap at the top :p Ponting might have gotten away with it if it was just Clarke, but Clarke and Watson to return with Dave Hussey playing so well, and it doesn't look good for the old fella.

alexczarn

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Well I suppose Christian will keep his spot. Solid performances.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Yeah Watson needs to be slotted in soon. I figure a couple more games for NSW will do him some good though.
I think Warner managed to hold his spot for now with last night's performance, otherwise we might've seen Watson replace him next game.
Can't drop Christian with the way he's performing and can't ask Watson to do too much with the ball yet.
Tough to drop Forrest right now, but he's performing above what his domestic stats suggest, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him struggle if he continues, so I think he's the likely candidate to miss out for Watson's return.

Who to open with though.. Warner/Watson, Warner/Wade or Wade/Watson.. A case can be made for all three right now, Wade hasn't done much wrong so far, but then Watson has to open in my mind and same for Warner if he's in the team. I wonder how Wade would go at #4.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I was thinking about that yesterday. One of Ponting or Hussey have to go now since Dussey ended up stealing their place and he is a better chance at making the next WC than either of them. So going ahead

Warner
Watson
Clarke
Wade
Hussey
Dussey
Christian

Is a decent side with Hussey probably phased out in the next season or so. Warner looks like he just needs more gametime to get his head around this format, ideally it should have been done in the domestic competition but he is in the side already so he should at least get the series.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Yeah, that's exactly how I'm seeing our strongest top 7 in that order. Looks good on paper, let's see if it comes to pass any time soon.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Can't see much right with that to be honest..

I can't figure out how to filter Clarke's stats by batting position on cricinfo, but off the top of my head - he's been ???? opening. Coupled with Forrest at 3, it would make for some pretty slow scoring and Forrest is hardly one of the best ODI batsman in the country.

Wouldn't promote Dave Hussey to 4, he's doing just fine at 6 and is a great finisher. Never seen any evidence to suggest Warner would shine down the order, would have been like randomly putting Hayden down the order and opening with Martyn or something, just doesn't make any sense to me.

Wade is too strong of a batsman to languish down at 7, it was only one match, but he struggled a bit the other night down the order and I think he'd suit #4 or continuing to open if there's injuries or Warner doesn't find his way.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Thanks :thumbs Clearly not as bad as my selective memory suggested, but then his major scores opening were way back in 04/05 and a 98 in Feb 09, other than that, not much to write home about.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Michael Clarke (capt), Shane Watson (vc), Dan Christian, Xavier Doherty, Peter Forrest, Ryan Harris, Ben Hilfenhaus, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Brett Lee, Clint McKay, Matthew Wade, David Warner

Looks good apart from Starc dropped for Harris. Maybe it was the wake-up call Harris needed though and NSW can surely use Starc right now.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I knew the day was coming, but didn't expect it so soon. I'm getting old for real now, since i saw Ponting's entire ODI evolve in my lifetime watching cricket and to finally see the AUS ODI team without him, will be quite strange.

Between now and 2015 of course the same will be said for Lee and Mussey also i guess.

Great to see Watson back finally and i hope if Bailey continues to struggle as T20 captain during the windies tour, that the selectors don't hesitate to make Watson T20 skipper.

I would like to see Watson and Christian in the same XI - so i'm a go for this line-up.

Watson
Warner
Clarke
Forrest
Mussey
Dussey
Christian
Wade
Lee
Harris
Doherty

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
That side definitely won't happen, Wade is wasted down at 8. Swap him for Forrest and bring in a bowler and you have the lineup.

Hopefully Clarke evolves his game as Forrest and Clarke are pretty similar types of batsmen.

Users who are viewing this thread