Sri Lankan Tour of Australia, October-November 2010/11

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Awesome start by McKay and just what we needed. He has a heck of a lot of critics but he continues to prove them wrong by consistently taking wickets. And finally the selectors have picked a good team.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Yeah McKay's been given a bad rap. He played that unimpressive Test at Perth and burst that bubble of hopefulness that had been surrounding him. So he could be getting himself in contention for that 4th quick bowler for the first Test, along with Siddle, Harris and Bollinger (although if Dougie's fit I imagine he's locked in as the #3).

And for the World Cup I think he should go ahead of Siddle as the 5th quick bowler. Johnson, Bollinger, Harris, Lee and Tait are ahead, but one of them will surely have an injury by then.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
McKay's only had a couple of bad games for Australia and half the time he ends up with 3+ wickets. Bad rap indeed. If ever there is a fully fit Australian squad, you'd think there'd be quite some pressure on Mitchell Johnson.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Boy that Starc has been impressive, the commentators have me very tempted to see what Starc would be like if he can get that extra 10km/h. And as I type he grabs another wicket, well done to the selectors on taking a gamble on him.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yeah McKay's been given a bad rap. He played that unimpressive Test at Perth and burst that bubble of hopefulness that had been surrounding him. So he could be getting himself in contention for that 4th quick bowler for the first Test, along with Siddle, Harris and Bollinger (although if Dougie's fit I imagine he's locked in as the #3).

And for the World Cup I think he should go ahead of Siddle as the 5th quick bowler. Johnson, Bollinger, Harris, Lee and Tait are ahead, but one of them will surely have an injury by then.

As a bit of critic of McKay. His problem is basically as a test bowler he doesn't do much with the ball, he is just straight up & down @ a standard 13-135 ks. He could pass as a ODI bowler sure, but should be way down the pecking order for tests.

In tests outside of the main 5 quicks of Bollinger, Hilfy, Midge, Harris, Siddle. I'd be picking/considering George, Cameron, Starc, Copeland, J Pattinson before i think about seeing McKay in the whites again.

For the WC next year. Lets not forget he wont be getting any pitch like the one he just took 5 for on (although a few green tops might pop up). Generally its going to be very good batting decks, thus i remainded unconvinced how effective he could be in general on such pitches. Theirfore once fit & based on peformaces in the Ryobi cup the 4 quicks that should be in the WC squad are Bollinger, Tait, Harris, Johnson as you said. He & Nannes are the immedaite back-ups to those 4 ATS. Of course Lee if his pace returns the more cricket he plays in the Ryobi cup, he could be fast-tracked right into the main squad.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
At least we broke the losing streak, not the most satisfying win when its a consolation one and something we definitely aren't use to having to do. Promising signs was McKay and Starc which is why I'm even more annoyed Starc wasn't given a go earlier over Siddle. When do we have to name our final ODI WC squad by? I was reading something about having to name our WC squad but I'm guessing that was the preliminary one.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Well McKay was at the top of the reserves tree last year - that's why he got the Test. But yeah I see what you're saying about the lack of something special to his bowling. However as a 4th quick, it's arguable whether you want another high risk/high reward bowler. Andrew McDonald, exhibit A. And that's one of the general problems with the Aussie bowling at present. Hilfy aside, there's been a distinct lack of control in our attack.

Anyway, the Gabba and Perth would be the obvious place for McKay to give him that assistance that he'd need to be effective, and they would be obvious place to go for 4 quicks anyway. That's the only job I see him filling, quick #4. I don't think I'd pick him at present for that job, but he's helping his future prospects by doing well here.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
McKay needs to talk to Clark and McGrath who were in that pedestrian range for pace but made a career for themselves. One difference I've seen is hes a few km/h slower than those two who in their prime were around the 137km/h mark while McKay is around 133km/h.

lethalhughes

Club Cricketer
McKay needs to talk to Clark and McGrath who were in that pedestrian range for pace but made a career for themselves. One difference I've seen is hes a few km/h slower than those two who in their prime were around the 137km/h mark while McKay is around 133km/h.

I think Mc Grath didn't really have much of a prime, if he did it would be when he was bowling well below 137.I agree McKay needs to do more with the ball, his pace is ok if and only if he learns to move the ball.I was really impress with Starc, very good action and moves the ball.Hard to believe he's only 20, he and James Pattinson has really impress me.One of Hazlewood, Star, Pattinson or Copeland will break into the test side, its only a matter of time imo.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
bit disappointed in sri lanka, they looked a bit like "oh well, we've already won the series" shouldn't be coming out like that ever.

well bowled by another C.M. today though.

lethalhughes

Club Cricketer
What do people reckon , should Doherty now be ahead of Hauritz in the odi team?The world cup is fairly near.It's in the subcontinent, so can aussies play both of these spinners in the starting 11?I don't think they can play both cause we don't have an all rounder who is good enough to bat at 7 and be a very competent first change bowler.I think Watto is good but him as a first change seamer come world cup is a no no.Here's the team i would like to see on the field:

1.Watto
2.Haddin
3.Punter
4.Clarke
5.White
6.Hussey
7.Smith
8.Johnson
9.Harris or Preferably Lee
10.Doherty(from what i've seen ,he can't be dropped)
11.Bollinger

Tait's a strong chance too.

Last edited:

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Watson
Haddin
Ponting
Clarke
White
Ferguson
Smith
Johnson
McKay
Starc
Doherty/Holland

Bit harsh on the leading wicket taker for the year in Ryan Harris and Bollinger too. Other than that looks good although Hussey will be there too. lethalhughes team looks about right but the 'preferably Lee' should be on Johnson rather than Harris.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Why does everyone hate on Hauritz? Australia's become a better ODI side since the SA and NZ series of 08/09 mainly because they've regularly included a spinner - Hauritz.

Comments like 'Doherty can't be dropped'? Really? He was good - but not great in Sydney, but just OK in Brisbane. That's not undroppable form.

Users who are viewing this thread